Summer Class Dilema

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MishMash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm in my second year of pre-pharm and I will be taking Organic chemistry and anatomy in the fall. This summer I made a huge mistake and decided to take two classes in one summer session. ( Chem and Calculus) Last semester i took pre calculus and i got a C-:thumbdown: Which is the lowest grade I have ever had, I had a 3.7 GPA and now it's gone to a 3.5. It's not that the course was hard, I had a terrible professor. This semester Calculus is driving me insane especially with chemistry which i hope to get a good grade in. The reason why I am doing so poorly in calculus is because it's very very time consuming and I just can't handle it with another class in the summer. At this point if I stay in Calc the highest grade I will get will be a c- or worse! which will lower my GPA ever more. I was thinking about "W" the course and taking it in the fall when it's not so fast and most likely get a high grade. Will my chances be lowered if I take the "W"? I know pharmcas calculates the Math GPA on it's own & I need at least a 3.0 or next to it..

Uhgg What should I do? Please help:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say take the W unless you already have more than 2 Ws.

Members don't see this ad :)
take the W. when they look at your grades, the only thing they see is that you had a C or lower in calculus. they don't know if you had a terrible professor, if you were sick, or it was too fast. they think it's the same calculus course as everywhere else.

Exacty!

take the W. when they look at your grades, the only thing they see is that you had a C or lower in calculus. they don't know if you had a terrible professor, if you were sick, or it was too fast. they think it's the same calculus course as everywhere else.

Like everyone else is saying, take the W...especially if you feel like you're going to do well in the following semester. In all honesty, as much as we can try to blame professors (and I have had quite a few bad ones in the past) no school would ever consider that a valid excuse for a poor grade. Was it calc1/2 or 3? If you're intending to take it as the same time as orgo and anat, I would suggest concentrating on studying for calc after you're done with chem for the summer. Why? Well you struggled in pre-calc (even with a bad prof) and you struggled during the summer, albeit a very intense summer, during calc...you will need all the prep you can get. Orgo and anat are two high memorizing classes you will need to dedicate a lot of time to. I'm also willing to bet you probably have a GE thrown in there somewhere too. Combine all that and you're looking at a pretty intense semester.

Like everyone else is saying, take the W...especially if you feel like you're going to do well in the following semester. In all honesty, as much as we can try to blame professors (and I have had quite a few bad ones in the past) no school would ever consider that a valid excuse for a poor grade. Was it calc1/2 or 3? If you're intending to take it as the same time as orgo and anat, I would suggest concentrating on studying for calc after you're done with chem for the summer. Why? Well you struggled in pre-calc (even with a bad prof) and you struggled during the summer, albeit a very intense summer, during calc...you will need all the prep you can get. Orgo and anat are two high memorizing classes you will need to dedicate a lot of time to. I'm also willing to bet you probably have a GE thrown in there somewhere too. Combine all that and you're looking at a pretty intense semester.

It was Calc 1. . It's not that it was a bad professor, he is actually a great professor. It was just that i wasn't able to balance both chemistry and math during the hectic summer semester, It was big mistake I made taking the classes together and I regret it so much! I'm pretty sure I can get a good grade during the semester when things are not so crazy..
I am also a little worried about taking orgo anatmoy and calc together but I'm sure its not that bad.. I wanted to study for the PCAT after the class was over for the october test.. What would you sugest me to do? Study calc as well? Also, I'm just scared the W is going to really really hurt my chances :(

Thank YOu :scared::confused:

Orgo, A&P and Calculus together will be pretty rough, but I think you can manage with the specter of the PCAT out of view.

The W will definitely not be the end of the world.

It was Calc 1. . It's not that it was a bad professor, he is actually a great professor. It was just that i wasn't able to balance both chemistry and math during the hectic summer semester, It was big mistake I made taking the classes together and I regret it so much! I'm pretty sure I can get a good grade during the semester when things are not so crazy..
I am also a little worried about taking orgo anatmoy and calc together but I'm sure its not that bad.. I wanted to study for the PCAT after the class was over for the october test.. What would you sugest me to do? Study calc as well? Also, I'm just scared the W is going to really really hurt my chances :(

Thank YOu :scared::confused:

Well if you're studying for PCAT then I recommend just focusing on that and getting it out of the way. If you feel really like it, what you can do is create flash cards for the common derivatives used in calc 1, which will give you an edge during the semester. Just studying those in advance (like 5-10 minutes a day until you have them down) will do you good. orgo + anat is much easier (imo) than having orgo + gen bio. Its just that you threw calc in there that has me a little worried. For me having orgo+anat+calc in a semester would be fun...but thats purely because I like orgo and I love math.

If you are applying for pharm school this year, definitely study for that PCAT, if you're applying next year then you have more options. Try not to schedule classes at the same time your studying for the PCAT, you should focus on just that when the time comes.

Oh and don't worry about the W, as long as its your first W its fine. Just don't try to get anymore because it'll start looking worse n worse. Don't be like all my friends who assumed they could do poorly in their fresh/soph year then realize they don't meet the min math/sci gpa for pharm school anymore.

Oh and don't worry about the W, as long as its your first W its fine. Just don't try to get anymore because it'll start looking worse n worse. Don't be like all my friends who assumed they could do poorly in their fresh/soph year then realize they don't meet the min math/sci gpa for pharm school anymore.
When calculating minimum math/science GPA, is the calculated GPA based on pre-requisite science courses, or all science courses? I certainly hope its the latter, since I did much better in my 3rd and 4th years of college.

When calculating minimum math/science GPA, is the calculated GPA based on pre-requisite science courses, or all science courses? I certainly hope its the latter, since I did much better in my 3rd and 4th years of college.

Usually any math/sci course (including those not on prereqs), but the math/sci calculation differs from school to school. If you really are worried, contact your school about what classes got into your math/sci gpa as well as the schools you are applying to.