Summer Class Opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

massivespectrometer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished up my first summer class (OChem II) and am reflecting on the experience. Overall, I wasn't really a fan, for a multitude of reasons. I felt rushed in the material (obviously given the time period), I definitely felt to be "learning to the test" to a greater degree than ever before (not inherently bad, I just didn't like it), and I felt my time could've been spent more usefully in other endeavors (I worked a part time university desk job and get paid at my lab over the summer....left too much $$$ and experience on the table in lieu of a course I could've just taken during the Fall like I had planned previously.). On top of all of those reasons, I figured out I don't like learning when I could just kind of shut my mind off for a few months lol. I was successful in the course, but...meh.

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished up my first summer class (OChem II) and am reflecting on the experience. Overall, I wasn't really a fan, for a multitude of reasons. I felt rushed in the material (obviously given the time period), I definitely felt to be "learning to the test" to a greater degree than ever before (not inherently bad, I just didn't like it), and I felt my time could've been spent more usefully in other endeavors (I worked a part time university desk job and get paid at my lab over the summer....left too much $$$ and experience on the table in lieu of a course I could've just taken during the Fall like I had planned previously.). On top of all of those reasons, I figured out I don't like learning when I could just kind of shut my mind off for a few months lol. I was successful in the course, but...meh.

What are your thoughts?

You're in for a surprise.

Reactions: 1 users
Why would taking science courses over the summer be a problem?? If someone doesn't have room in their Fall or Spring schedules I fail to see why they can't do it in the summer. It's more of a time crunch, but it's still the same material.
Because the learning is rushed, could hurt your chances of actually knowing the material versus just learning it for that short period. Taking your time to learn it can help with the MCAT, but it all comes down to the individual I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you take a full course load every semester, are on time with pre-reqs, and take non-pre-req summer courses?

I think I took 3

Last edited:
I wonder if they still care about core summer classes if you score like 12+ on a sub-section of the MCAT