Summer Classes....Do or Don't?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DLC9647

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had anyone taken Physics or any other science in a summer 5 week session? If so would you mind commenting on the time commitment (ie..how many hours outside of class, lab, and recitation is necessary?)

The reason I ask if this is feasible is because I work part time (20 hrs a week) and the summer professor I was registering with states:

Pace will be extremely fast, new concepts will be introduced daily and you’ll be expected to master them by the next morning and prove your mastery by completing your homework assignment and then taking a quiz. Every day will be a challenge, and you'll find yourself working nights and weekends to stay current. All of this is doable if you are willing to commit 4 ½ weeks of you life exclusively to physics, but please think long and hard if you really want to take this class during the Summer - it is sooo much easier to take it in the Fall...

This sounds discouraging...thoughts?
Thanks,
Steve

Members don't see this ad.

I did both sections of organic over the summer in ten weeks. It sucked, but I did well and I was VERY happy I got it over with. I guess it depends on how good your math chops are, but there was no way I could have worked a job and did the summer class at the same time. We had class from 10-1 every day, then lab 2-5ish. Lab write ups were due from the previous week's lab (Monday's lab was due next Monday) and you had practice problems to do, exams every friday, and pop quizzes every Tues, Wed, or Thurs. On top of all of that you had melting points to get...you get the point. The work load was intense. I don't think physics would have taken as much time, but I took it during the semester, and I took trig based, so I don't know for sure. I know some people that take classes and work over the summer and do fine. I would give it a shot and if it's not working after the first few days I would get out. You should be able to get most of your $$$ back in the first few days. Best wishes!!

Scotty

I took the second half of physics during a 5 weeks summer session, and it wasn't too bad because the professor didn't make us do overkill homework or extremely long lab reports. I guess it would depend on how much work the teacher is going to give. We were in class about 4-5 hours a day Monday - Thursday. It's definitely doable, but might be a bit tricky if you're working that long. Do you have a job that permits you to study while at work?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm probably going to get yelled at for stealing a thread on my first post, but I'm going to take that risk...I had a similar question: Is doing 2 summer sessions of physics back to back going to be ridiculous?

Thanks ahead of time.

I did our entire bio requirement in a six week session. I also did physics II in a different 6 week session. It totally depends on your teacher so try to ask students at your school. For instance, my physics II was not at my full time university so in comparison it was a complete joke - just depends. I'm thinking you should be fine and it feels great to get it out of the way so quickly.

I studied AT LEAST six hours a day for the one physics class when I did this while taking another class along with it. I did get a solid A but I also did get acid reflux (coffee), extreme anxiety, and the for whatever reason, found myself having a couple panic attacks. It sucked complete balls. (Maybe being a chick made it worse).

I studied AT LEAST six hours a day for the one physics class when I did this while taking another class along with it. I did get a solid A but I also did get acid reflux (coffee), extreme anxiety, and the for whatever reason, found myself having a couple panic attacks. It sucked complete balls. (Maybe being a chick made it worse).

Do I know you, Dentista?

I'm probably going to get yelled at for stealing a thread on my first post, but I'm going to take that risk...I had a similar question: Is doing 2 summer sessions of physics back to back going to be ridiculous?

Thanks ahead of time.

I took Organic 1 last summer with the lab in 7 weeks.....I'm still on therapy :rofl: Just kidding!

Are you taking the labs too? Yes, it's going to be very intense, but I think is good to get used to that much stress.

I did great in both classes and I have children and had just got two 6 week old puppies....it was VERY INTENSE--and I really liked it. It's all you do and as long as you keep up daily, you can do it. I had classmates that still worked during the whole thing. They were really tired and still did really well. Make sure you get super SUPER organized, have a plan for in case you need tutors, eat healthy, make time once a week just for you.

I remember that the first day of class all the girls looked so good, hair and nails were done, cute dresses, perfume, makeup....by the day of the final we looked like aliens :lol:

I think that if you have a helpful prof--it will make things easier. Good luck! :luck: