Summer classes with MCAT study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeppelinpage4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken one or two summer classes while studying for the MCAT?

I plan on taking it at the end of this coming summer. Hopefully if all goes well, I should have May-July to do study for it, I want to take a Kaplan course or at least get the online materials and go by that.

However I also am thinking about taking a humanities class at my schoo over the summer, it's a requirement to graduate and I don't want to deal with it during the school year. It's only 3 credits, but it's a fairly demanding class due to all the reading.

The other alternative for me is to take an EMT-B training course over the summer, while I study for the MCAT. I really want to start volunteering so this summer would be a great time to get the training for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would recommend against this. One of my friends did this last summer. He did manage to get an A in the class he was taking (I don't remember what) but he was overwhelmed and had to delay taking the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the previous post. You need to solely study for the MCAT. It is a hard test that demands your absolute concentration and dedication. You want to take it once, score high, and feel satisfied with no regrets!

Forget the classes. Just focus on the MCAT. If you want, volunteer somewhere during the weekends or whichever days during the week are lightest for you during your studying.

I think both options sound fine. I took physics in the mornings over the summer the same time as studying for the MCAT, and worked afternoons in lab. Most nights I had group study sessions with my friends after Kaplan prep class. I mean, I didn't get to go out much, but I think having a full schedule actually made me more productive. I would say go for it! Good luck.

you can take a full course load and study for the MCAT

I took a few classes (physics 2 and physics 2 lab and English Lit) over the summer while taking a princeton review MCAT prep course.

I ended up with an A in both physics classes and a B in english lit (I really just didn't try) took the MCAT at the scheduled time and got a 28S. not the greatest score but hey I got 6 interviews and 3 acceptances so will be starting med school in the fall.

so it can be done. I am sure I would have been less stressed out without the classes but I am not sure that is why I got a 28 on the MCAT and not a 30. I am just not a great standardized test taker. So anyways....do what you feel comfortable with!

i took a introductory cell bio class the first half of 09 summer while studying for mcat and dedicated the second half of the summer to mcat. worked nicely, i was really solid in that portion of bio and still had plenty of time to do practice mcats, etc. got a 33

I would recommend against this. One of my friends did this last summer. He did manage to get an A in the class he was taking (I don't remember what) but he was overwhelmed and had to delay taking the MCAT.

A lot of posts seemed to echo this, since I do plan on making the MCAT my main focus, I probably will hold off on the humanities course.
But do you think an EMT class would be just as time consuming as a 3-credit college class or would it perhaps be more manageable? I'd like to take that class if possible.

I think both options sound fine. I took physics in the mornings over the summer the same time as studying for the MCAT, and worked afternoons in lab. Most nights I had group study sessions with my friends after Kaplan prep class. I mean, I didn't get to go out much, but I think having a full schedule actually made me more productive. I would say go for it! Good luck.
Thanks, that's actually very good to know. I was sort of hoping doing something beyond MCAT studying would help me be more productive too.
I just get the feeling that if I'm not at school and have too much free time I would be putting off the studying or not making as much out of my studying.

you can take a full course load and study for the MCAT
That's actually reassuring as well, I suppose it really depends on the person but I think I could do one class, if others handle four to five while studying.

It was great reading your success stories with the summer classes. I guess it can vary, it'll have to be my call.
Since it's just one class I think i'll either do the EMT course or the humanities class but not both.

Though if could I ask you guys another question. What Kaplan class did you take when studying for the summer? I just noticed that they only offer their programs form January to April. I probably won't begin studying till May.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the input from everyone that has replied, hopefully I can make the right decision.

I took a Kaplan MCAT class that was offered from June to August, then took the exam in early September. The class dates may differ from location to location, try checking for different places that offer classes. To be honest though, the class was not too helpful; I mainly used the online resources that came with the class. Depending on how you work, a group of study buddies and some buckled down study time might be enough to get you through MCAT prep. Maybe you can take a practice test to see how close you are to your target score, and then decide from there?

I took Cell biology and Physics II during summer while enrolled in the Princeton Review class. I will say that it was quite difficult managing the that load, just because its SUMMER. I would either take classes or study for the mcat, but not both.

I took a Kaplan MCAT class that was offered from June to August, then took the exam in early September. The class dates may differ from location to location, try checking for different places that offer classes. To be honest though, the class was not too helpful; I mainly used the online resources that came with the class. Depending on how you work, a group of study buddies and some buckled down study time might be enough to get you through MCAT prep. Maybe you can take a practice test to see how close you are to your target score, and then decide from there?
Thanks, I spent some time on the website and it looks like I can get a May-August course if I just stick with the online materials.
From your post, that looks like a really good idea. Also I don't want to have to drive to some other location for the class.
I guess I should tak a practice exam, would it be alright to just take it cold without any prep?

I took Cell biology and Physics II during summer while enrolled in the Princeton Review class. I will say that it was quite difficult managing the that load, just because its SUMMER. I would either take classes or study for the mcat, but not both.
Wow kudos for handling that, if I did take a class I think I could handle at most just one. As long as it's not one of the heavy science would you think it to be alright? Thanks for the input.

merry xmas from the sdn nation.
Happy Christmas to you guys too. :D

Thanks, I spent some time on the website and it looks like I can get a May-August course if I just stick with the online materials.
From your post, that looks like a really good idea. Also I don't want to have to drive to some other location for the class.
I guess I should tak a practice exam, would it be alright to just take it cold without any prep?

Wow kudos for handling that, if I did take a class I think I could handle at most just one. As long as it's not one of the heavy science would you think it to be alright? Thanks for the input.

Happy Christmas to you guys too. :D

I would advise against taking any classes while you prep for the MCAT. I would focus entirely on it and still give yourself time to get out in the community and spend time with freinds.

Assuming you've taken the classes (Chem, Phys, Bio, etc.), yup, I would say go ahead and try a test. It doesn't matter that you're taking it cold since it's just a practice test. After, knowing your scores and knowing what you want them to be, I think you'll be in a better position to make a decision about your summer plans. =)