summer classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you think it is worth taking a class like human ecology to boost up the gpa even though i would be taking it in the summertime at a community college? my school doesnt calculate the grades taken at a community college over the summer into the gpa. the credit just shows up on the transcript similar to what ap credit shows up on a transcript. i am taking some classes right now to get some requirements out of the way, when i am filling out the amcas app would i include the grades of the classes i took at the community college? do med schools want all the transcripts of schools you have gone to, even if you went just for a summer to get some credits out of the way?
how bad does it look to take a science over the summer?
any help is appreciated and thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

yes, the community college course will be calculated into your gpa. med schools want all transcripts of any schools you've gone to. taking a couple of biology courses there might be worthwhile if your grades are not quite as high as you'd like. i'd caution you on the ecology course. although it will go into your science gpa (it's a bio class, right?), med schools will probably not be all that impressed by an a in human ecology course. i think they'd prefer to see genetics, physiology, anatomy, etc... also, i doubt the most competitive schools will be impressed with the fact that you're taking them at community college. i would see right through this sort of thing if i was an adcom member.

do you think statistics is a pre-med requirement? if i took stat at a community college over summer would it look bad? the reason i would take it at a cc and not my school is because the next 3 years are all filled up with major, minor, and premed reqs. would adcoms just look down upon taking stat over the summer?
thanks.