Summer classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm interested in applying for 2006. My gpa is on the lower end and i was wondering if i should take a biology course at a community college this summer. My undergrad college was fairly competitive so i think this may help. The course i would take is not a prerequisite. I work full-time so it is not very easy to take a course (especially in the summer, where you meet 3 days a week). The college i can take the course at is at least a half hour away. Is it worth it? I still have not taken the OAT so should be studying for this.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

sara78 said:
Hello,
I'm interested in applying for 2006. My gpa is on the lower end and i was wondering if i should take a biology course at a community college this summer. My undergrad college was fairly competitive so i think this may help. The course i would take is not a prerequisite. I work full-time so it is not very easy to take a course (especially in the summer, where you meet 3 days a week). The college i can take the course at is at least a half hour away. Is it worth it? I still have not taken the OAT so should be studying for this.
Thanks

Honestly, I don't think one course at a CC will help at all...If I was in your shoes I think I'd much rather put that time into studying for the OAT and making sure u do above average on that since you claim your GPA is on the lower end.

A high OAT score will at least show you learned SOMETHING in undergrad, while one good grade in an upper level course won't even affect your GPA that much...

Good luck!

thanks for your reply. I also think it would be helpful to get to know a professor so i have someone who can write me a LOR.

I took a course in the fall; I wonder if I can just ask that professor?

Members don't see this ad :)
sara78 said:
thanks for your reply. I also think it would be helpful to get to know a professor so i have someone who can write me a LOR.

I took a course in the fall; I wonder if I can just ask that professor?

I took Anatomy course at CC before applying, only so that professor could write me a LOR. I didn't actually need Anatomy for the schools that I applied to, but it would really help out the first year in school. So I think taking a class to get a solid LOR is a good idea. Just make sure that you can get A in class, otherwise there is no point. About asking the professor from the course you took in the fall, it depends how comfortable you feel doing that. If you got an A in class, you probably should. When I asked my anatomy professor, I gave her 1 page mini personal essay to let her know more about myself and all the forms she needed to fill out and stamped/addressed envelopes for each school.

Thanks, I got an A in the course I took in the fall, I probably should ask that professor. I really don't know whether or not to take the course. I honestly think I need a classroom structure to get myself motivated to study, taking this course will help me on the bio section of the OAT as well as in the first year. But I'm concerned as to how much time i will have to study for the OAT itself though. I wonder if i gave myself three solid weekends, if it would be enough time to study for it? I started reviewing the materials earlier this year.