Summer course could ruin my chances for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Purplelaffytaffy

Reaction score
Hey guys I am sort of panicking right now and looking for some advice. I’m taking a summer anatomy class that is only 6 weeks long. I had heard bad things about this Professor but was convinced if you study you get the grade. I have a 3.7 science gpa and have never received a grade lower than a B. Anyways, I’m studying my ass off and still feel there’s a high chance I’ll fail the class. Apparently, last spring there was only a 10% pass rate for the class.

If I were to receive a grade such as a D or F would this ruin my chances at applying DO? My mcat wasn’t great (501). I’m worried this will be a huge red flag to schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I am sort of panicking right now and looking for some advice. I’m taking a summer anatomy class that is only 6 weeks long. I had heard bad things about this Professor but was convinced if you study you get the grade. I have a 3.7 science gpa and have never received a grade lower than a B. Anyways, I’m studying my ass off and still feel there’s a high chance I’ll fail the class. Apparently, last spring there was only a 10% pass rate for the class.

If I were to receive a grade such as a D or F would this ruin my chances at applying DO? My mcat wasn’t great (501). I’m worried this will be a huge red flag to schools.
If you are seriously at risk of receiving a D or an F, withdraw from the class immediately.

Reactions: 3 users
If you can still withdraw, then I would withdraw. Having an anatomy grade on your transcript is great... but only if it's a good grade. Showing a D or F in undergraduate anatomy is not going to convince anyone that you can handle medical school! It's a flag of a warmer color IMO, but I am also not an adcom... I was also not without flags myself. But if you can avoid it, avoid it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Failing an undergrad anatomy course?
I don't think anyone who plans to go into med school, regardless of prof, should FAIL anatomy, a basic med class you will have every block.

I would take the challenge on, and show med school you can get at least a B in such a course.

Med school will only be harder WITH cadaver, the hardest part of anatomy lab IMO.

Your 501 MCAT will also be a red flag. Dropping makes sense. You also need to reflect about if your are ready for med school at this time. Failing a college level anatomy course when you have no other classes to focus on might be a sign you are not ready. Be brutally honest with yourself.You might also consider a post bac program with a link to acceptance. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.