Summer courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuedee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to apply to pharmacy school for Fall 2008. Should I take Organic Chem I and II during two 8 week sessions this summer? Is this reasonable? Should I wait and take Organic I and II in the fall and winter? If I take Organic I in the fall, should I take a PCAT prep course in order to take the PCAT in October? Or should I wait until the January test date? Is the first semester of O-Chem sufficient to score well on the PCAT? Will it hurt my chances that I won't have Organic II finished by the time I submit my applications?

If I don't take Organic Chem during the summer, should I take Microbiology? Is Microbiology a reasonable 8 week course?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't take O-chem in the summer, but that's just a personal preference. Everybody has a different experience with O-chem and mine was not pleasant. I can't imagine doing that to myself. You might do well, though.

I think Microbiology is a reasonable summer class. That's when I took the class. It was a good summer.

No, you don't have to have O-Chem II done before you apply. I was currently enrolled in O-chem II when I got admitted.

Don't waste money on a PCAT prep course if you don't need it. Personally, I didn't think the PCAT was that bad. If you do well enough to have a competitive GPA for pharm school, a review of your coursework should be sufficient. That's just my personal opinion, of course. I'd wait to take it until after you've had at least one semester of O-chem. There's not that much organic on the PCAT (unless that's changed in the last couple of years).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes - you can do it. If you decide to do so - I would suggest limiting what ever else you may be doing. Perhaps volunteer less - do not take any other difficult courses.

Beyond that - the prospect of having all of Organic done and out of the way in one summer is definitely appealing. If you feel you can do it (and that is all that really matters) I would say go for it.

~above~

I have a full load this semester with Organic II and I'll tell you it's a bloody nightmare... though only because the professor is a nightmare :thumbdown:.

I took Prin. of Chem. I & II over the summer and it was alright, except for the labs (no A/C), so keep that in mind unless your school is pretty nice with A/C.