Summer EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

td08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do med schools feel about students who do the majority of their EC's / volunteering / shadowing during the summer and winter breaks rather than during the semester?

I'm not talking about holing up during school and ONLY studying, but doing like one EC and a few hours on the weekends of volunteering and then doing the majority of my shadowing and clinical experience during the summers. Is this kind of thing usual?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure as long as you show an out of school interest during the school year, this should be fine. One annoying thing that I've found on the 2008-2009 application, however, is that you list your service time from "such and such date-such and such date," so if you work in the summers and winters only, it might me a bit cumbersome to enter into the application.

Alternatively, adcoms do like to see consistency over a long range of time. I would definitely make sure to hold on to that one thing you do in the school year, whatever it is.

One annoying thing that I've found on the 2008-2009 application, however, is that you list your service time from "such and such date-such and such date," so if you work in the summers and winters only, it might me a bit cumbersome to enter into the application.

It is OK to combine though and explain in the notes if the activity is similar, right? For instance, if you volunteered at a clinic during the school year and then over the summer volunteered at another hospital or clinic in your hometown, couldn't you just list that as one year-long activity and specify in the notes part the dates for each experience?

I'm just making sure that I will have all the info I need when it comes time to fill out my application: basically dates, average hours per week, brief description, and contact information, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
just be careful not to "over-value" the EC if you only did a few weeks/sessions/hours worth of it. a few days of shadowing a physician isnt going to impress anyone, a week in costa rica dispensing aids meds is borderline. but if you learn something from it, it's worth writing so.

IMPORTANT: dont miss out on any opportunities just because you think an adcom isn't going to care. your pre-medical experiences all add up.