Summer Intern before first year of pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stone

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what kind of work experience would be considered beneficial for the summer before the first year of pharmacy school? I am a certified Pharm.Tech, but no luck finding a job at a retail setting so far. Would the acceptance into a Phram.D program qualify me to apply for the summer pharmacy intern at Walgreen, Target, etc? Besides retail and hospital, should I try pharmaceutical company too? Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Stone said:
what kind of work experience would be considered beneficial for the summer before the first year of pharmacy school? I am a certified Pharm.Tech, but no luck finding a job at a retail setting so far. Would the acceptance into a Phram.D program qualify me to apply for the summer pharmacy intern at Walgreen, Target, etc? Besides retail and hospital, should I try pharmaceutical company too? Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Whether or not you can be classified as an intern varies from state to state.
Target has a summer program for pharmacy students. I found info about it at Target.com

I :love: Target. I would work there just for the discount.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stone said:

It depends on the state you live in. Most states require you to have started the pharmacy program to get your intern license. Some states only require that you are accepted into the program. Finding an intern job in my city was a breeze, hope the same goes for you.

The major internship programs, which I know of, Walgreens, Osco, etc, all require one year's experience at a college of Pharmacy. Also, on the side, most of those internship programs have already completed their interviews. At most colleges, a representative from the company will come down and give a presentation. At a later date, they will have interviews.
However, once you start Pharmacy school, you might be able to land yourself a full year Pharmacy Intern/Extern position. When you apply for Pharm Tech positions, go to the store, and don't just apply online.