Summer Jobs for Vet Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dizzyondreams

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been posted before but I'm new here. I'm a first year vet student and I have already applied to Banfield Veterinary Student Job Program and I tried to apply to a VetCor summer job but the recruiter for my area never answered my two emails and the main company email has not answered me either, so I found an application link from another recruiter on LinkedIn and applied through that even though it might not be for my area. I also found Student Colleague Summer Job Program through Community Veterinary Partners (who I've already worked for one of their hospitals before applying to vet school) but the deadline had already passed. Does anyone know of any other programs for vet students that hopefully are paid for the summer? I'd really like to earn some money to live on so I can reduce the amount of loans I take out and gaining veterinary experience that I can put on my resume would be great as well. If it helps, I live near Philadelphia, PA.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry if this has been posted before but I'm new here. I'm a first year vet student and I have already applied to Banfield Veterinary Student Job Program and I tried to apply to a VetCor summer job but the recruiter for my area never answered my two emails and the main company email has not answered me either, so I found an application link from another recruiter on LinkedIn and applied through that even though it might not be for my area. I also found Student Colleague Summer Job Program through Community Veterinary Partners (who I've already worked for one of their hospitals before applying to vet school) but the deadline had already passed. Does anyone know of any other programs for vet students that hopefully are paid for the summer? I'd really like to earn some money to live on so I can reduce the amount of loans I take out and gaining veterinary experience that I can put on my resume would be great as well. If it helps, I live near Philadelphia, PA.

Those things are a great start, but I would also talk to students in your class or classes above you that work in clinics in the area and ask whether their clinics might be hiring. I did this when I was looking for a summer job and got some great leads that way.

Reactions: 1 user
The big animal pharma companies, USDA FSIS/APHIS all have paid internships. I think only Boehringer has an open application right now. I'd keep an eye out for next summer though. I had paid positions for two summers through these opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those things are a great start, but I would also talk to students in your class or classes above you that work in clinics in the area and ask whether their clinics might be hiring. I did this when I was looking for a summer job and got some great leads that way.

Thanks for the reply. Did you basically work as a vet tech? I'm just nervous because I don't actually have a vet tech degree and a lot of jobs in my area are for certified vet techs.

The big animal pharma companies, USDA FSIS/APHIS all have paid internships. I think only Boehringer has an open application right now. I'd keep an eye out for next summer though. I had paid positions for two summers through these opportunities.

Thanks for the reply. Did you like these positions? I'm looking to go into small animal medicine so I'm not particularly interested in those areas, but experience is experience and a job is a job I guess.

Do you guys have a Banfield Student Representative? If so, you can ask them as well about your application and they are more likely to get a speedy response.

Yes, my school has a Banfield Student Representative. We were told from Banfield to expect decisions in late February-mid March so I probably just have to be patient to hear from them if I got the job or not. I'm just trying to do my research now to have multiple backup plans in case I don't get the Banfield or VetCor jobs. Thank you for your reply.

Thanks for the reply. Did you basically work as a vet tech? I'm just nervous because I don't actually have a vet tech degree and a lot of jobs in my area are for certified vet techs.

I worked as a vet assistant, I don't have a tech degree either :) Some people come into vet school as RVTs/LVTs, but most people who work at clinics while in vet school do so in an assistant and/or receptionist type of role. Put some feelers out in your class and see what you find out.

Not all student jobs at vet schools are clinical/ward tech jobs either. I worked for the laboratory animal services and as an after-hours/emergency bloodwork tech for the clin path lab during school, and both were great experience.

Not all student jobs at vet schools are clinical/ward tech jobs either. I worked for the laboratory animal services and as an after-hours/emergency bloodwork tech for the clin path lab during school, and both were great experience.
Thanks for the great ideas! I'd prefer clinical jobs such as the ones I applied to because I would have a mentor and would be able to do more of what I actually want to do for a living, but I'll look into the things you posted if I don't get an offer.

Thanks for the great ideas! I'd prefer clinical jobs such as the ones I applied to because I would have a mentor and would be able to do more of what I actually want to do for a living, but I'll look into the things you posted if I don't get an offer.

The clin path job was actually really applicable to clinical medicine because I got to run many labs on sick patients and see all sorts of values and cases. Considering that bloodwork, urinalysis, clotting parameters, etc are done all day every day in clinics, it was great to see so much of it and it reinforced a lot of diseases for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the reply. Did you like these positions? I'm looking to go into small animal medicine so I'm not particularly interested in those areas, but experience is experience and a job is a job I guess.

You've heard it before, "You never know what you'll end up doing." My experiences either made me confident about what I DON'T want to do, and the other changed my career path. I chose my opportunities with the mentality of getting paid in the summers no matter what, and doing unpaid small animal stuff for the medicine/soft skill building during my winter breaks. Vet school revolves so much around SA practice that I saw more value in exploring different aspects of vet med without feeling like I would be at a disadvantage because I didn't work in a SA clinic all summer.

i work for Banfield, what kinda help you need?

i work for Banfield, what kinda help you need?
I applied and interviewed for the Student Job Program, I'm just waiting for them to contact me and tell me if I got the job or not by next week. If I don't get the job, I would like to have backup jobs so I don't spend my summer doing nothing. Would you happen to have any recommendations?

I officially was rejected from the Banfield Student Job Program. I'll look into everyone's suggestions here. Thank you.

I officially was rejected from the Banfield Student Job Program. I'll look into everyone's suggestions here. Thank you.

I was too, and still ended up getting a job at a great clinic. :) Lots of opportunities out there. You got this.

I was rejected my first year. I thought their interview questions were really weird and were more to gauge how I would fit in at a random corporate structure. Applied again the next and got in but declined the position. Good luck with your summer plans and apply again next year!

I applied and interviewed for the Student Job Program, I'm just waiting for them to contact me and tell me if I got the job or not by next week. If I don't get the job, I would like to have backup jobs so I don't spend my summer doing nothing. Would you happen to have any recommendations?
are you foreign vet? going thru ecfvg or pave ?

How did you hear about your rejection?

Email. I got accepted my 2nd year applying but I had a better internship that I already accepted lol. Looking back I'm very happy to have not done the Banfield SJP. There's so many other paid summer opportunities that expose you to the vast field of vet med. (I learned a ton about preventatives and product development and communication skills working in pharma R&D. I am very confident in preventative medicine recommendations and diagnostics because of it. It also probably made my internship application stand out from the rest and was a great talking point during interviews.) I'd rather have a unique experience than refining technical skills/seeing clients in a SA clinic for a summer. There's plenty of time to work on that and refine those skills during your 4th year.

Reactions: 1 users
Email. I got accepted my 2nd year applying but I had a better internship that I already accepted lol. Looking back I'm very happy to have not done the Banfield SJP. There's so many other paid summer opportunities that expose you to the vast field of vet med. (I learned a ton about preventatives and product development and communication skills working in pharma R&D. I am very confident in preventative medicine recommendations and diagnostics because of it. It also probably made my internship application stand out from the rest and was a great talking point during interviews.) I'd rather have a unique experience than refining technical skills/seeing clients in a SA clinic for a summer. There's plenty of time to work on that and refine those skills during your 4th year.
Agree with this 100%. I even had a prof tell me she didn’t advise people work clinic jobs during the summer because “you have the rest of your life to work at a clinic”.

The summer between my first and second year I went on a one health research trip to Costa Rica. This upcoming summer I am going to be doing the Boehringer Ingelheim veterinary scholar program.