Summer Jobs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

safireflame

New Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a freshman this year, working towards premed. I have been told it would be in my best interest to get some type of summer job in the medical or research area. I was just wondering how many people REALLY get these kinds of jobs. I volunteered at the hospital for a majority of my high school career and was planning on returning to it; however, I must also have a paying job so that I can pay for school. I just don't know where to begin searching. If anyone can help me here it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Safireflame

------------------
"Love is like a flame burning a hole through my heart. Love beseech me and forget me not; burn with in me for while you are there, there is no limit to my accomplishments."
 
I agree that a volunteer position is just as valuable (if not more so) on your med school application. Many medical schools view the idea of medicine related work/volunteering outside of research to be exposure to patients & the "doctor-patient relationship." You don't have to be in a hospital to get this. Think about hospice or a nursing home - these are the most challenging experiences & will likely give you experiences & genuine insights that others won't get. Good luck.