Summer MCAT Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Geoff

Mzungu
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear MCATers',
Hello, I am a sophomore finishing up the year and was wondering what books I should get to help study for the MCAT this summer? I have only taken my Chemistry and Biology courses. I'm taking physics and organic my Junior year, I'm kind of behind, but It shouldn't matter. I wanted to start working on the stuff I do know already, especially the English section. What is a good book to use to get ready? Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

- Geoff

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, go drink some beer and enjoy yourself then come back here in 6 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you planning on taking the MCATs this summer or are you just going to study for it???

If you're going to just study for it, I think a minimal amt of time would be sufficient...alot of it is based on O-chem and physics so I do think that would pose as at least a *little* problem.

If you're planning on taking it...umm, I think you should rather use that time to do other things to strengthen your application and then take it once you have finished courses like O-chem and physics.

Just my two cents...

I agree with all the above, but if you really wanted to start reviewing the stuff you've already learned you might find some MCAT practice books...old ones you can borrow from a friend, perhaps...and do some of the practice problems as a diagnostic. review your textbook and notes, work problems on the content with which you are less successful. This is low priority for you now, but not a bad idea. Just don't compromise all your college years for the MCAT...for God's sake!

Geoff,

Kaplan has a special yearlong program, which allows you to have access to the center until the April 2004 MCAT. It costs a few hundred more than the regular program, but if you're interested in taking a program anyhow (which I'd highly recommend; especially Kaplan) it's a good deal. All the lessons are on video tapes, so if you like you'd be able to attend a summer class or just watch the tapes, and then work on the training library. When you start studying in earnest in the fall, you can do the same.

I wish I had spent a year studying. Kaplan has enough questions that you'll have trouble going through them all. While I'm a bit biased, teaching and writing for them now, I'm doing so because I'm convinced it's the best preparation, especially for people who want to get started studying early.

Good luck!