Summer Organic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OlderStudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can take the full year of Organic Chemistry over the summer? I am in Southern California and so far the only one I can find is Indiana University ( A little far from me ). Any school that anyone knows of would help.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think most schools as well as CC offer it during Summer I and Summer II Session, I know my school (U. of Houston) offers it also. You are pretty brave to attempt to tackle Orgo I and II in just 11 weeks....:eek:

I did the entire summer orgo sequence (w/ lab for degree of difficulty points), and I strongly recommend against it. You will retain little and go at least two sleepless nights a week for 8-10 weeks to get that A.

There are some people on this board who will convince you that Orgo is a pre-req for tieing your shoelaces. Ignore these people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like junebug said, I've heard from everyone I've spoken to that it'd be suicide on your gpa to spend the summer attempting to take orgo I and II.
My friend did it and she suffered B's and C's even though she was studying constantly.

I took my O-Chem full-year-in-one-summer at CSUN (California State University, Northridge). It's pricey compared to the community colleges around here, but it was the best option for me.

I'm one of those odd ones who found Organic Chemistry to be really accessible (General Chemistry was much more of a struggle for me since I hadn't had math in a decade, haha), so I didn't have much trouble with the 11 week session. However, I still had to study A LOT to memorize all the little details. I think it's best to work only part time (or not at all, if you can afford it), and to avoid taking any other classes if you're doing the condensed O-Chem summer.

If you're interested in CSUN, feel free to PM me and I can give you more details.

i took orgo over the summer, and for me, it worked out great- able to study w/o the distractions of regular college life, and ended up w/ A's both semesters. personally, since you have to retain a lot of info, it was easier to do so over a shorter time period (ie summer) than the regular school year

Loyola Chicago has a summer Organic with the lab... Organic in summer is a lot of work. make sure not to have too much else going on.

I did the summer organic sequence at Universty of Southern California. It was very stressful; I had no time for anything except for a little bit of volunteering on the weekend. But overall I felt the teaching quality was very good.

University of Nevada-Las Vegas offers it. Way closer to you than Indiana. ;)

I am pretty sure most schools offer summer programs. I would probably recommend taking the course, if it will make your schoolyear easier. The fact that the course is condensed is offset by the fact you do absolutely nothing else during the summer.:D

I did Ochem I and II plus labs at Notre Dame (yes, also in IN, sorry :( ). It was 10 weeks total and by the end of it I was pretty burnt out. You have to commit yourself to not slacking and keep up with the material every day (kind of like med school?). I did well (A's in labs and A- in lecture Ochem I and B+ in lecture Ochem II), but I definitely worked for it. Best of luck to you! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions either about ND or about surviving Ochem during the summer!

Harvard offers the full year, as does Northwestern. Having experiences at both places, I'd pick Harvard. Drawback being-tuition at Harvard is about 5k, and at NU,~ 8k

I did my physics at Santa Clara University over one summer. I know they also offer sequences for gen chem and organic chemistry. I'm not sure how the chem stacks up, but physics was a breeze. The teachers were effective and the workload very manageable. The whole sequence cost about $3000, which really isn't too expensive...

Does anyone know where I can take the full year of Organic Chemistry over the summer? I am in Southern California and so far the only one I can find is Indiana University ( A little far from me ). Any school that anyone knows of would help.

Thanks

there's ochem over summer at UC Riverside. it's expensive and fills quickly. summer schedules are usually out in march so if you really want to take it i suggest you contact the summer sessions department ot make sure when the schedule comes out. UCR is a quarter-system school, so there is ochem 112a,b,c over the summer. each is 3 weeks. you start school monday and your first midterm is wednesday of that same week...so be prepared. other than that i don't know of any other institutions offering the complete ochem series over the summer.

Taking organic chemistry over the summer was the best decision ever! Without a full class schedule you have more time to just concentrate on the material. Pretty much I would go to class/lab, go home study for three hours, go to work, come back and study for three more hours and repeat the cycle. Granted I didn't get to hang out with friends as much as I'd have liked, it worked out very well for me and I enjoyed the class a lot more than people who took it during the year. I did it at St. Louis University, but that would be far from you as well.

Thanks

Best wishes! ;)