Summer Plans?

Started by Opt2010
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Opt2010

SUNY Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what do optometry students usually do the summer before the 1st year and summer after 1st year? I know PCO have classes or at least clinical stuff, but for the rest of you, what are you guys doing?
 
Opt2010 said:
what do optometry students usually do the summer before the 1st year and summer after 1st year? I know PCO have classes or at least clinical stuff, but for the rest of you, what are you guys doing?

I mainly just took a break and worked a little before I started school.
The summer after 1st year about half stayed around and worked in Memphis and about half went home and worked. Some worked for optometrists, many did not.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do most schools provide opportunities (networking, connections) to jobs after the 1st year? Do current optometrist even hire 1st years to work for the summer?
 
prettygreeneyes said:
I know what I'm doing... enjoying the last few moments of freedom before the following four years of... hell! :laugh:

The optometry 4 year curriculum really isn't all that "hellish." You might have one hard year and become somewhat worried around board time. As long as you have half a brain you'll be fine.

my 1 and a half cents
 
Ryan_eyeball said:
The optometry 4 year curriculum really isn't all that "hellish." You might have one hard year and become somewhat worried around board time. As long as you have half a brain you'll be fine.

my 1 and a half cents


This is good to hear since I feel like I'm in hell now just doing pre reqs!
 
odstudent said:
the first 2 years of opt school are hell~~~ 😡

For us, it's just the 2nd year with minor "hellish" periods during the first year. 😀

And yes, our school helps set students up with local jobs such as tutoring that usually pay ~$10/hr.
 
Vacation of course...take the chance before it's gone. Also after 4 years of undergrad... I think it's ok to reward urself.
 
odstudent said:
the first 2 years of opt school are hell~~~ 😡
It's right before 2nd quarter finals at SCO, and I still think I've had far worse in undergrad. I've had easier semesters too though. 2nd year should really ratchet things up a bit.
 
prettygreeneyes said:
I know what I'm doing... enjoying the last few moments of freedom before the following four years of... hell! :laugh:
Sadly, I shall be working all summer to pay for these next four years of school...
 
in_translation said:
Sadly, I shall be working all summer to pay for these next four years of school...

Me too! I'll be contiuning to work at an ophthalmologist's office.