Summer Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

montag925

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this time of year this forum is mostly dedicated to acceptances, rejections, and those that are just SOL. However, I was just wondering if anyone knows of summer programs available to college students (preferably those who are finishing up their sophomore year), and live in the New Jersey or Pennsylvania area. I know that there are probably more like myself, but I am in search of things to do this summer to boost my resume. Naturally, shadowing a dentist and lab job opportunities at my school have already come to mind. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

i know penn has a summer program for predents...its expensive though. if i can find the link, i'll post it for you.

other than that, make sure you do your shadowing, or just work in a dental office

or better yet, go abroad for the summer. it's a great experience that you'll never really be able to do once you're out of school.

you could try the NIH summer research programs....there is probably some labs doing oral biology research.

jb!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm 90% sure I'll be joining everyone in August at Temple. I got my acceptance letter yesterday, but I am still waiting to hear from Pitt. But I think I'd go to Temple anyway. Any girls need looking for a roomate? I'm from about an hour away, so I can do some research on a place.

Hey guys, I'm 90% sure I'll be joining everyone in August at Temple. I got my acceptance letter yesterday, but I am still waiting to hear from Pitt. But I think I'd go to Temple anyway. Any girls need looking for a roomate? I'm from about an hour away, so I can do some research on a place.

wtf:confused:

I did a summer program at Marquette, and I am from Pennsylvannia...it was a great experience. It was about 8 weeks long and I got experience in thier Sim lab, attended classes and lots of shadowing. Nice thing about summer programs are they give you the chance of being at a school for more than a day and let you see if you really could live there for an extended period of time, plus great opportunity to talk with students (they give it to you straight, most of the time)

i did the gateway to dentistry program at umdnj over winter break.

im applyin to summer programs at rutgers, penn, BU, dartmouth, wadsworth institution, and buffalo university. these programs are undergrad research, mostly deal with microbiology. It was kinda tough finding research in oral biology

Hey, thanks for the link to the Penn program. I would love to do a summer program like that, but how do you find these programs? I'm in California and would love to do one closer to home. The program is only 5 days so I would like to find others so I can fill up my summer. I'm googled and a few things came up but nothing like the Penn program. I'm going to ask the Health Advisors at my college and if I find a list somewhere, I'll let you guys know.

Mike

Hey, thanks for the link to the Penn program. I would love to do a summer program like that, but how do you find these programs? I'm in California and would love to do one closer to home. The program is only 5 days so I would like to find others so I can fill up my summer. I'm googled and a few things came up but nothing like the Penn program. I'm going to ask the Health Advisors at my college and if I find a list somewhere, I'll let you guys know.

Mike

ucla has a waxing seminar over a few fews...here's the link:

http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/ContinuingEducation/index.asp?id=520

i didn't go to it, but wish i did...i heard good stuff about it and its pretty cheap. so hope it works out. good luck

Do you think it's really worth $1700? Plus, I'm gonna fly there from CA... Is there any program similar to that on the West Coast besides the one in UCLA? Also, u think it's too late to apply now?

The Penn program was pricey, but I definitely think it was worth it. You spend the better part of the week in the DentSim lab doing everything that first year students do. This experience--alone--makes the program worth it. To answer your other question, I doubt that it's too late to apply. I think I applied sometime in early February of last year.

As far as other programs, I know that UMDNJ has a two week course. (This is the same "Gateway to Dentistry" course that has already been mentioned by a few other posters in this thread.) I don't know enough about it to comment, but here's the link:

UMDNJ GATEWAY TO DENTISTRY COURSE

Being from Massachusetts, I haven't really looked for any programs on the West Coast. Sorry I can't help you there.

Good Luck:thumbup:

besides for the guy looking for a famale roomate, thanks for your help guys.

luvdemtoofers is a guy? :laugh:

The Penn program was pricey, but I definitely think it was worth it. You spend the better part of the week in the DentSim lab doing everything that first year students do. This experience--alone--makes the program worth it. To answer your other question, I doubt that it's too late to apply. I think I applied sometime in early February of last year.

As far as other programs, I know that UMDNJ has a two week course. (This is the same "Gateway to Dentistry" course that has already been mentioned by a few other posters in this thread.) I don't know enough about it to comment, but here's the link:

UMDNJ GATEWAY TO DENTISTRY COURSE

Being from Massachusetts, I haven't really looked for any programs on the West Coast. Sorry I can't help you there.

Good Luck:thumbup:

Looks like a good program but why do they do it in the middle of the school year? I'd love to do it but the dates conflict with my school schedule.