Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry for all the random questions but...

Is there any website that has listings of local labs? I go to school in-state (UIUC) but live in the Chicago area and i have no idea of the labs up there that i can give a call to. Theres plenty of labs in Champaign/Urbana but i would prefer to stay close to home for the summer (at least during my Freshman summer)

Are these labs generally restricted to certain majors? I'm a Health Sciences major and I'm planning to minor in Chemistry.

I just went to the med school's website and looked at the research section and searched for labs that I thought that I would be interested in. From my personal, limited experience, they didn't care about my major. My lab last summer didn't care that I had absolutely no research background, but that's probably rare. Though maybe not; I have no idea.

There is no easy website that lays it out for unadvertised positions -- you have to do the searching and contacting yourself if you want to seek out something that isn't already a set up program. I think LaPresse posted a link to established summer programs a few posts back, though -- the REUs and SURFs and such I believe.

Members don't see this ad.

Just want to throw this out there, not sure if I mentioned it before on this thread -- I found my research opportunity for last summer by cold calling a lab that I thought looked interesting, despite no mention of summer undergrads, and they hired me, gave me my own project, and paid me.
For real, it's always worth it to give it a shot.

I've emailed some labs and have gotten positive responses from places such as MIT and UF. I think the problem generally shows up in the lack of funding these places have for summer students.

Thanks a lot guys! I'll be looking at the websites for all of our local medical school and do some more snooping while I'm on break. When contacting these labs/research centers, should i include my resume with the initial email or only when they ask for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot guys! I'll be looking at the websites for all of our local medical school and do some more snooping while I'm on break. When contacting these labs/research centers, should i include my resume with the initial email or only when they ask for it?

Either way. I attached it only when asked, but I could have sent it in the first place. Whatever you want, I guess!

Would anyone mind providing feedback on my personal essay for the SMDEP?

Would anyone mind providing feedback on my personal essay for the SMDEP?

You can shoot it over to me and I can take a look. I'm not applying this year and have some time before school starts up again to look it over.

Is it better to do a REU at a university or just do summer research at your home institution? An REU is just a one-time summer experience and you wouldn't be able to continue the project if you really enjoyed it. But on the other hand it is more prestigious...

Is it better to do a REU at a university or just do summer research at your home institution? An REU is just a one-time summer experience and you wouldn't be able to continue the project if you really enjoyed it. But on the other hand it is more prestigious...

If you're from a school where the validation of a prestigious school would help your app then arguably the REU has some advantage in that sense in particular, but generally whichever you think would give you a more fulfilling or personally valuable experience is better.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Just want to throw this out there, not sure if I mentioned it before on this thread -- I found my research opportunity for last summer by cold calling a lab that I thought looked interesting, despite no mention of summer undergrads, and they hired me, gave me my own project, and paid me.

Did the same thing for a different lab this summer, although it will be volunteer this time (what I wanted since I don't want a full time gig while studying for the MCAT).

No applications or LORs for either -- just a resume and interest. I probably just got lucky, but don't rule this option out. These labs weren't at my school, but at a local med school. I think that SURFs and REUs and Amgens would be amazing experiences, and are obviously designed for students, but if you don't get in / don't want to apply / don't have LORs or whatever.. I would encourage just cold calling or emailing interesting labs to see if you can get anything set up there.

Good luck everyone! :)

Edit: Oh, and I am a sophomore now so my experience last summer was after freshman year.

I saw a lab that I am currently interested in, but I would have to make my own living arrangements and airfare. Was that difficult for you or was that a cinch. Was the experience outside your state of residence?

I saw a lab that I am currently interested in, but I would have to make my own living arrangements and airfare. Was that difficult for you or was that a cinch. Was the experience outside your state of residence?

It was at my local med school, so I just lived at home with my parents and commuted 60-90 minutes each way. So I can't really help :/ if you end up doing that, share your experiences with arranging apartment and car and such! That would be really helpful as that is an intimidating part of some summer programs.

Some of these programs are making me hot. I am dead serious. Working on apps is so much fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should you put your SAT Score in your resume or anything like that?
Just wondering.

Last edited:
Anyone care to look over one of my personal statements? I'd love some help!

I feel that some of these programs are underground. No one answers my phone calls and even though you email, responses are delayed severely. Can anyone think of names? ;)

What is the best way to collect LORs ? Do most people just request a physical/digital copy from the writers directly ? If not, does it mean that the writers have to send out the letter to each individual research programs ? ( This sounds cumbersome ) Thank you for the input

What is the best way to collect LORs ? Do most people just request a physical/digital copy from the writers directly ? If not, does it mean that the writers have to send out the letter to each individual research programs ? ( This sounds cumbersome ) Thank you for the input

For programs that requested mailed letters, I either got physical letters sealed from my writers or gave them the addresses, whichever they preferred. For other programs, nearly all required the letter to be submitted in response to an email sent to the writer's email address, meaning they had to upload them themselves.

ugh why do some of these places ask what other programs you're applying to.

Honestly, I just came across to this thread today. simply just going through the list will take sometime, not to mention the amount of paperwork in the future. how many should i apply at this point ? (considering some of these have deadlines on Feb 1st.)

Oooh there was one, I believe it was the UC Berkeley Amgen, that required you to enter a list of other programs.

Yep, UCB Amgen, MIT Amgen, and Cornell's Gateways to the Laboratory, though the last one's avoidable if you apply via the Leadership Alliance's website. I might be forgetting one more Amgen.

Honestly, I just came across to this thread today. simply just going through the list will take sometime, not to mention the amount of paperwork in the future. how many should i apply at this point ? (considering some of these have deadlines on Feb 1st.)

That depends on your stats and whether you have a backup plan for the summer.

Can someone seriously tell me if I'll be wasting my time if I apply to these programs with a 3.65? I hear they're extremely competitive and I don't want to waste my time to applying to these with a 3.65 if it's like applying to Harvard med with a 28 MCAT..

I am not applying to those, but thank anyway! :)

Can someone seriously tell me if I'll be wasting my time if I apply to these programs with a 3.65? I hear they're extremely competitive and I don't want to waste my time to applying to these with a 3.65 if it's like applying to Harvard med with a 28 MCAT..

It depends on the program. Some programs don't discriminate as heavily as others based on GPA.

Also I'd like you to be aware that that is not a mango in your avatar. :p

There are also some that ask you to list your top 3 choices for grad school. Like...wut? Everyone's gonna lie.

Yep, UCB Amgen, MIT Amgen, and Cornell's Gateways to the Laboratory, though the last one's avoidable if you apply via the Leadership Alliance's website. I might be forgetting one more Amgen.

Most (if not all) of the AMGENs do, I think.

There are also some that ask you to list your top 3 choices for grad school. Like...wut? Everyone's gonna lie.

Lol, wasn't that Wash U AMGEN? I was so confused by that question.

Would it be okay to have my PI just write a generic letter about "summer research programs" for multiple SURF/SURPs? It would probably be too much to ask him to edit multiple copies....

Hey guys, which programs require a modest/low gpa (3.1 - 3.3 range)?

Thanks in advance.

Would it be okay to have my PI just write a generic letter about "summer research programs" for multiple SURF/SURPs? It would probably be too much to ask him to edit multiple copies....
I figure this is fine. As long as it's still well-written and conveys his confidence in your potential, etc. I'd be surprised if it were abnormal.
Hey guys, which programs require a modest/low gpa (3.1 - 3.3 range)?

Thanks in advance.
That's getting pretty low honestly... :(

What do you think are the advantages of doing an REU compared to doing research in your main lab group? Assuming forty hours a week for both

Variety in research topics/fields, travel opportunity, exposure to a potential med school, validation of a prestigious institution if you don't attend one (and assuming the program you do is at a prestigious institution), money is often better, it's different and fun and you meet new people from all over the country/world (in some cases). There's also something to be said for the impressiveness of getting a spot in a competitive program even if you already attend a top school.

Take your pick. I'm sure there are more reasons I've forgotten, but it's really up to the person. Not everybody wants to do a program like these away over the summer and not everybody has to want to.

Variety in research topics/fields, travel opportunity, exposure to a potential med school, validation of a prestigious institution if you don't attend one (and assuming the program you do is at a prestigious institution), money is often better, it's different and fun and you meet new people from all over the country/world (in some cases). There's also something to be said for the impressiveness of getting a spot in a competitive program even if you already attend a top school.

Take your pick. I'm sure there are more reasons I've forgotten, but it's really up to the person. Not everybody wants to do a program like these away over the summer and not everybody has to want to.

I hope I get into one! I think money is my main motivator. :smuggrin:

I am currently a freshman. My first semester GPA was good (4.0) but I am not too involved with extra curricular activities yet (although I plan to join a couple this coming semester). Also, I have no research experience. Do I have a chance at any of the lower tier programs for summer of 2013?

I am currently a freshman. My first semester GPA was good (4.0) but I am not too involved with extra curricular activities yet (although I plan to join a couple this coming semester). Also, I have no research experience. Do I have a chance at any of the lower tier programs for summer of 2013?

Hey, last year (or the one before) a freshman got into Mayo's SURF, so anything's possible. The "no research experience" might be an issue though... Now if that's because you attend a small LAC or something with no real research opportunities, that might be different, and you should definitely emphasize that in your applications.

As a freshman though I would say your best bet is smaller local programs, if you're lucky enough geographically to have any.

Anyone know of any organic chemistry summer research programs? :)