You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2013
Started by La Presse
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm having a great time in lab. This is my first exposure to biomedical research and I can't ask for a better experience! I'm learning so much and doing a lot, and the pay doesn't hurt either 🙂
Research experiences thread right here!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1009642
Post all you like on being in the actual lab! I figured I'd make a new thread since this one is primarily for the applications.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1009642
Post all you like on being in the actual lab! I figured I'd make a new thread since this one is primarily for the applications.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd figure I'd just post my experience so far here as TexasSurgeon's thread unfortunately did not seem to take off yet.
So far it's pretty amazing! I've learned a lot, and time seems to have past very quickly. Almost everyone works crazy hours though.
Haven't met a ton of other summer students unfortunately, but hopefully that'll change in the last month and a half.
So far it's pretty amazing! I've learned a lot, and time seems to have past very quickly. Almost everyone works crazy hours though.
Haven't met a ton of other summer students unfortunately, but hopefully that'll change in the last month and a half.
What are some second rate summer research programs that would take someone with a low gpa...like 3.4-3.5
What are some second rate summer research programs that would take someone with a low gpa...like 3.4-3.5
Do you have previous research experience? I encourage you to apply to some NSF REU programs.
Hey what's up, I was part of the 2012 thread a year or so back for the Mayo SURF 2012. I'm graduating next May and I was wondering if there were any of these programs that would allow a recent graduate to participate.
Either that, or I'd have to apply for a post-bacc research position....
Also, I recall a couple kids having a sub 3.2 GPA in my SURF program with had little research experience so it doesn't hurt to apply! They told me their LORs and PS were top-notch though.
Either that, or I'd have to apply for a post-bacc research position....
Also, I recall a couple kids having a sub 3.2 GPA in my SURF program with had little research experience so it doesn't hurt to apply! They told me their LORs and PS were top-notch though.
I'm currently a sophomore with a 4.0 GPA and no research experience. Would it be possible to get a position in my situation? The school I go to doesn't really have an undergraduate research program for pre-med, and I am not able to do research in Biology (my major) this year due to not having my pre-reqs complete. Not trolling, I'm legitimately new to this.
I'm currently a sophomore with a 4.0 GPA and no research experience. Would it be possible to get a position in my situation? The school I go to doesn't really have an undergraduate research program for pre-med, and I am not able to do research in Biology (my major) this year due to not having my pre-reqs complete. Not trolling, I'm legitimately new to this.
Absolutely. Read the thread for the types of programs available for this summer.
Same. I'm wondering if I should just study for the MCAT and volunteer this summer instead...
I was wondering that too...research does take up a lot of time, especially during the day. And then when you go back at night, you are often too tired to do any hard-core studying...
But to adcoms, won't it seem like "wasting" the summer if you're just studying for the MCAT and volunteering? Yet other cool programs like study abroad or whatever take up a lot of time, and ultimately, the MCAT is what is most important....
Anyone else having trouble deciding?
I was wondering that too...research does take up a lot of time, especially during the day. And then when you go back at night, you are often too tired to do any hard-core studying...
But to adcoms, won't it seem like "wasting" the summer if you're just studying for the MCAT and volunteering? Yet other cool programs like study abroad or whatever take up a lot of time, and ultimately, the MCAT is what is most important....
Anyone else having trouble deciding?
Update! I scribed and studied, and got a 33. I don't regret it!
I'm in the process of applying to DAAD RISE. I really love the idea of going to Germany. Did you end up going? What type of research program did you do? And what location where you at? Thanks!Anyone apply to DAAD RISE? I received an acceptance yesterday and am absolutely thrilled at the idea of spending a summer in Germany.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 9K
D