Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2013

Started by La Presse
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, last year (or the one before) a freshman got into Mayo's SURF, so anything's possible. The "no research experience" might be an issue though... Now if that's because you attend a small LAC or something with no real research opportunities, that might be different, and you should definitely emphasize that in your applications.

As a freshman though I would say your best bet is smaller local programs, if you're lucky enough geographically to have any.

I attend a large research university. Are smaller local programs the programs that are not known nationally, or not talked about? I have a couple geographically that are at med schools that are state universities (not in top 50 medical schools.) Would these be considered "small local programs?"

Thanks!
 
I attend a large research university. Are smaller local programs the programs that are not known nationally, or not talked about? I have a couple geographically that are at med schools that are state universities (not in top 50 medical schools.) Would these be considered "small local programs?"

Thanks!

What I mean by that is both the popularity of the program and the net that their application process casts (though the two likely go hand in hand). So a program that is not widely known and gets mostly in-state or at most regional applicants is the sort of thing I'm referring to. That said, if programs that are near you, regardless of competitiveness, have some sort of bias for in-state or local applicants or something, I would definitely be aware of that and use it to your advantage.
 
It depends on the program. Some programs don't discriminate as heavily as others based on GPA.

Also I'd like you to be aware that that is not a mango in your avatar. 😛

Yeah I couldn't find any cool mango avatars so this is close right? Okay yeah it's not close..


I'm applying to Mayo SURF. I hear it's competitive but it has a relatively high acceptance rate (from that one thread you started). Any other recommendations for programs to apply to with a 3.65?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I couldn't find any cool mango avatars so this is close right? Okay yeah it's not close..


I'm applying to Mayo SURF. I hear it's competitive but it has a relatively high acceptance rate (from that one thread you started). Any other recommendations for programs to apply to with a 3.65?

There are programs that receive a low volume of applications. Those are typically the lesser known REU programs. If you want specifics, you are going to have to sift through a few pages.

Start here:

http://people.rit.edu/gtfsbi/Symp/premed.htm

It is even color-coded and up-to-date.
 
One of the programs I applied to had a deadline today at 5 PM and I hadn't heard from one of my letter writers for 10-15 days. I sent him a few emails to let him know what the deal was and he didn't respond until 4 hours before the deadline saying "ok uploaded it"

Close call :d
 
One of the programs I applied to had a deadline today at 5 PM and I hadn't heard from one of my letter writers for 10-15 days. I sent him a few emails to let him know what the deal was and he didn't respond until 4 hours before the deadline saying "ok uploaded it"

Close call :d

Same thing happened today for an REU I applied for (deadline is tomorrow for letters, I believe). :xf: Hoping for the best!
 
What I mean by that is both the popularity of the program and the net that their application process casts (though the two likely go hand in hand). So a program that is not widely known and gets mostly in-state or at most regional applicants is the sort of thing I'm referring to. That said, if programs that are near you, regardless of competitiveness, have some sort of bias for in-state or local applicants or something, I would definitely be aware of that and use it to your advantage.

Ah, I hope there's not a lot of that. I didn't apply to any programs near me (closest was like 2 hours away and I didn't really like the looks of it), and have always (weirdly) wanted to live in the pacific northwest, so I applied to 4 programs up there (even though I'm thousands of miles from there and have virtually no ties). 😀
 
All of mine are due Feb. 1st or later. Planning to have all of the essays written by this weekend (classes start Monday). I hope I'll just be doing a lot of copying and pasting.
 
Ah, I hope there's not a lot of that. I didn't apply to any programs near me (closest was like 2 hours away and I didn't really like the looks of it), and have always (weirdly) wanted to live in the pacific northwest, so I applied to 4 programs up there (even though I'm thousands of miles from there and have virtually no ties). 😀

I swear I wanted to apply to TX programs, but they were not as enticing as the others I am interested in. In terms of geographic location, 5 are in the NE, 1 is in the Midwest, and lastly, 1 is in the South. Hooray.🙄
 
Ah, I hope there's not a lot of that. I didn't apply to any programs near me (closest was like 2 hours away and I didn't really like the looks of it), and have always (weirdly) wanted to live in the pacific northwest, so I applied to 4 programs up there (even though I'm thousands of miles from there and have virtually no ties). 😀

The Pacific Northwest is really nice in the summer 🙂 did you apply to places at uw, ohsu, or both?
 
Ah, I hope there's not a lot of that. I didn't apply to any programs near me (closest was like 2 hours away and I didn't really like the looks of it), and have always (weirdly) wanted to live in the pacific northwest, so I applied to 4 programs up there (even though I'm thousands of miles from there and have virtually no ties). 😀

Don't worry, programs that do have a geographic bias tend to be upfront about it from what I've seen.
 
Hey guys. I'm applying to multiple SURP-type programs that seem to have similar essay prompts (research experience, how the program furthers your goals, etc.) and was hoping to just do a lot of copy and pasting.

However, I can't help but wonder if I should try to make each essay program-specific. I don't mean just changing the name of the program, but actually having multiple versions of an essay that talks about how that program in particular will help me be a better scientist, etc. etc.

tl;dr Did you guys make your essays program-specific? If so, how did you do it? There are the obvious ones, such as talking about location and specific PIs. But I'm unsure of how else to make each essay unique and convince the readers that I didn't just copy and paste a single essay. 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. I'm applying to multiple SURP-type programs that seem to have similar essay prompts (research experience, how the program furthers your goals, etc.) and was hoping to just do a lot of copy and pasting.

However, I can't help but wonder if I should try to make each essay program-specific. I don't mean just changing the name of the program, but actually having multiple versions of an essay that talks about how that program in particular will help me be a better scientist, etc. etc.

tl;dr Did you guys make your essays program-specific? If so, how did you do it? There are the obvious ones, such as talking about location and specific PIs. But I'm unsure of how else to make each essay unique and convince the readers that I didn't just copy and paste a single essay. 😕

Depending on which programs you are applying to, they either have different expectations or have different research interests. For instance, one SURP may have its focus in chemistry, while another in biological sciences. Your essays should always reflect the research interests in that particular program and support their focus. Program directors and the selection committees look for that. One told me that if your essay does not reflect a genuine interest in their type of research from one's PS, they are unlikely to choose that candidate.

Another thing that is relevant when addressing the prompts for your PS is telling the program your career goals and how the internship will advance your career. Use your judgment here. :naughty:
 
Last edited:
One of the programs I applied to had a deadline today at 5 PM and I hadn't heard from one of my letter writers for 10-15 days. I sent him a few emails to let him know what the deal was and he didn't respond until 4 hours before the deadline saying "ok uploaded it"

Close call :d
Hey, which programs are you applying to?

This whole tread is really interesting because 7000 people have seen it and only a few have actually posted here, that means that there are thousands of people interested on SURPs, etc. lol.

I have just applied to a total of 11 progams. Man... that was stressing!
But I can relax now and just wait til' March.

I applied to :

Mass Gen SRTP
Harvard SHURP
STARS
Stanford Amgen
Wash U. Amgen
Wash U. BioMedRap
Cornell
Hopkins
UNMC
UNMC Surp
GEMS

Anyone else applied to any of these???

Does the Hopkins page says that your transcript was accepted ? Anyone?
 
Hey, which programs are you applying to?

This whole tread is really interesting because 7000 people have seen it and only a few have actually posted here, that means that there are thousands of people interested on SURPs, etc. lol.

I have just applied to a total of 11 progams. Man... that was stressing!
But I can relax now and just wait til' March.

I applied to :

Mass Gen SRTP
Harvard SHURP
STARS
Stanford Amgen
Wash U. Amgen
Wash U. BioMedRap
Cornell
Hopkins
UNMC
UNMC Surp
GEMS

Anyone else applied to any of these???

Does the Hopkins page says that your transcript was accepted ? Anyone?

I applied to the Mayo surf and then quite a few materials science and engineering REUs
 
Both recommenders are officially on board. I was more worried about them sending letters to 11 places than they were. My former PI said he'd write a glowing rec, so fingers crossed.


Hey, which programs are you applying to?

This whole tread is really interesting because 7000 people have seen it and only a few have actually posted here, that means that there are thousands of people interested on SURPs, etc. lol.

I have just applied to a total of 11 progams. Man... that was stressing!
But I can relax now and just wait til' March.

I applied to :

Mass Gen SRTP
Harvard SHURP
STARS
Stanford Amgen
Wash U. Amgen
Wash U. BioMedRap
Cornell
Hopkins
UNMC
UNMC Surp
GEMS

Anyone else applied to any of these???

Does the Hopkins page says that your transcript was accepted ? Anyone?

We have Stanford and WashU in common. I applied to one at Cornell, but I doubt it's the same program.
 
Both recommenders are officially on board. I was more worried about them sending letters to 11 places than they were. My former PI said he'd write a glowing rec, so fingers crossed.




We have Stanford and WashU in common. I applied to one at Cornell, but I doubt it's the same program.

Cool.

Cornell Access?

I don't know if I"ll get into the Cornell program. They seem extremely selective.
 
I finished Columbia Amgen early this morning. There was so little writing involved (like 300 words max), but it still took me hours since I agonized over every little thing. Ranking PIs was the hardest part. 10 more to go!

Cool.

Cornell Access?

I don't know if I"ll get into the Cornell program. They seem extremely selective.

Nope, Cornell's program for MD/PhD hopefuls. It's by far my top choice, but I'm not really optimistic.
 
Anyone know of any organic chemistry summer research programs? 🙂

I think Umass (Amherst) might have some related to orgo

Also you could try emailing professors at your institution, telling them about yourself, etc and see if they have an opportunity. The summer research I had last semester (although not organic chem related) was not a listed position (to my knowledge).
 
Last edited:
what do you guys think is necessary in terms of grades for these programs? i'm a white applicant from a top 20 school. i have nearly a 3.6, but with an upward trend (3.2->3.6->3.8 by semester). do my grades put me out of the running?
 
what do you guys think is necessary in terms of grades for these programs? i'm a white applicant from a top 20 school. i have nearly a 3.6, but with an upward trend (3.2->3.6->3.8 by semester). do my grades put me out of the running?
:idea:
I think it depends where you apply, but some programs had a statement that read: "We are looking for students who have excelled academically in recent upper division science courses"
So, I guess it depends on what the program is looking for.
 
I finished Columbia Amgen early this morning. There was so little writing involved (like 300 words max), but it still took me hours since I agonized over every little thing. Ranking PIs was the hardest part. 10 more to go!



Nope, Cornell's program for MD/PhD hopefuls. It's by far my top choice, but I'm not really optimistic.

Oh, yeah. Im sure they are selective. I was looking at the stats for accepted MD/Ph.D students in Cornell last month and I think the average was 3.9 GPA and 36 MCAT. But don't quote me on that.

👍
 
I applied to Cornell Access, but no one from last year's thread seemed to know much about it, or were accepted.
 
what do you guys think is necessary in terms of grades for these programs? i'm a white applicant from a top 20 school. i have nearly a 3.6, but with an upward trend (3.2->3.6->3.8 by semester). do my grades put me out of the running?

depends on the program. Those which are targeted for URM will take almost any motivated student above a 3.2. Also apply early unless the program specifies that they start reviewing after the deadline.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
depends on the program. Those which are targeted for URM will take almost any motivated student above a 3.2. Also apply early unless the program specifies that they start reviewing after the deadline.
Lol, I mean as I said I'm a white applicant...so what about non-URM programs...?

I guess what I'm asking is...does everyone they accept have crazy GPAs or super impressive research experience?
 
I applied to Cornell Access, but no one from last year's thread seemed to know much about it, or were accepted.

I know, I did see that.
The video on the cornell access program talks about two students that did the program in 2009. I wonder if they only take 2 students each year, which would make it ridiculously hard to get in if they receive 1000+ applications. 😱
 
Both recommenders are officially on board. I was more worried about them sending letters to 11 places than they were. My former PI said he'd write a glowing rec, so fingers crossed.




We have Stanford and WashU in common. I applied to one at Cornell, but I doubt it's the same program.


I got an email from Johns Hopkins on Friday stating that my transcript was received. Wheuu!
 
I know, I did see that.
The video on the cornell access program talks about two students that did the program in 2009. I wonder if they only take 2 students each year, which would make it ridiculously hard to get in if they receive 1000+ applications. 😱
both of the cornell programs are URM only, right?
 
Is it fair to put a new research experience on my resume/personal statement for these SURPs even though I just began like a week ago? I intend to continue research here until med school.
 
So, anyone know how long it usually takes SURP programs to send decisions after one is complete (by complete, I mean with everything in, including recs)?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
small question.
When sending LOR requests through SURP program applications, where it says enter First name, Last Name of the recommender,
should you enter just the names? (or for someone who has a phd) does that part go in the last name?