Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've heard the decisions will be made the second week of April.

I got an email an hour ago (yay someone responded!) that email notifications will be sent out second week of April. That means this week. I have no idea how competitive this is, but I'll just assume that it is crazy.

Members don't see this ad.

What is taking UCSF so long...do they do silent rejections?

Did anybody else apply to the Student Research Program at the University of Colorado school of medicine/ Children's Hospital Colorado? I just received my acceptance and I'll be attending it from out of state, so I was hoping I could meet some people before I go!

Does anybody familiar with the Denver area have any recommendations of things to do/see while I'm there!?

Wouldn't say I'm very familiar, but I was there this weekend for a conference, and I absolutely loved it. Great food, great people, plenty to explore, and excellent nightlife :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Has anyone heard from Columbia leadership alliance yet? I called today and they said the lady was like out on vacation or something.

Hey,

Has anyone heard from Columbia leadership alliance yet? I called today and they said the lady was like out on vacation or something.

I have called and emailed numerous times the past few weeks, and every time I get the same answer "We're still reviewing applications"

ugh...I have a feeling they are doing this on purpose to see who will actually wait for their decision and who will just choose to do something else this summer.

Best of luck though! Hopefully they tell us before May.

What is taking UCSF so long...do they do silent rejections?

They did send acceptance letters, but apparently they have not yet finalized their cohorts ...Their website says they will finalize everything by next monday. If I don't get accepted, I'm off to study abroad in Germany. :D Good luck!

Has anyone been accepted an AMGEN Program yet?

Accepted to the Case Western SURP in Physiology and Biophyics. Possibly last spot according to an email.

Rejected:
Oregon
Michigan Cardio
Michigan Physio
Vermont
Utah

As a white and graduating senior these were the programs I found which were accepting post-bachelor student and not necessarily emphasizing minorities in science.

Speaking of minorities in science... Anyone heard back from MHIRT programs yet?

This might be a bit out there but if there is anyone that's going to be interning in and around Cambridge, I'm looking at the housing for sublet and there are a few places subletting the entire house/apartment (3-4 bedrooms). It might be cool to room with other interns for the summer, and it's generally cheaper than Harvard's housing. PM me if you like this idea

Finally got rejected from UCSF Amgen today. I applied at the last possible moment and the program is rolling, so if you still haven't heard from them, you should definitely be getting a notification really soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've only just discovered this site and wanted to share my experience. I wish I had found this forum sooner!

School: State School

4th year student (graduating in 2014) majoring in Biology (Honors), Public Health, General Science, and minoring in Math

GPA: 3.74

URM: first gen college student, low income, disability

LOR: 3 professors, assuming they were good

Research: Steady research since 2010, Bridges to the Baccalaureate Program, McNair Scholars Program, 4 different labs, 1 paper published, 1 in review, 5 conferences, a couple of small grants

Other activities: TA for Calculus I, brought in and mentored several students in the lab, learning Perl to branch out into Bioinformatics

Applied to:
Virginia Tech REU (rejected)
Broad Inst SRPG (rejected)
Sinai SURP (rejected)
Sloan-Kettering SURP (rejected)
U of Wash Amgen (rejected)
U of Wash SURP (rejected)
WashU USP (accepted)

I applied for these 1-2 weeks before the deadlines. Now that it's over, I realize my personal statement is subpar and needs to be overhauled. The only thing that saved me was that WashU required a phone interview so I could present myself better.

I've only just discovered this site and wanted to share my experience. I wish I had found this forum sooner!

School: State School

4th year student (graduating in 2014) majoring in Biology (Honors), Public Health, General Science, and minoring in Math

GPA: 3.74

URM: first gen college student, low income, disability

LOR: 3 professors, assuming they were good

Research: Steady research since 2010, Bridges to the Baccalaureate Program, McNair Scholars Program, 4 different labs, 1 paper published, 1 in review, 5 conferences, a couple of small grants

Other activities: TA for Calculus I, brought in and mentored several students in the lab, learning Perl to branch out into Bioinformatics

Applied to:
Virginia Tech REU (rejected)
Broad Inst SRPG (rejected)
Sinai SURP (rejected)
Sloan-Kettering SURP (rejected)
U of Wash Amgen (rejected)
U of Wash SURP (rejected)
WashU USP (accepted)

I applied for these 1-2 weeks before the deadlines. Now that it's over, I realize my personal statement is subpar and needs to be overhauled. The only thing that saved me was that WashU required a phone interview so I could present myself better.

Good work. :)

....and enjoy your summer!!

Thanks! I called and was advised to confirm with the other program I got into for the meantime, as they haven't finalized their decisions yet :/

Okay has anyone heard from columbia leadership alliance yet? I'm fine with a rejection at this point--I just want to hear something!!

Has anyone who applied to tufts BDBS heard back yet?

They say may 1st on the website but i would imagine that they probably contact the people that got in early and then wait till the last minute to contact the rest of the rejected folks..

So im guessing since i haven't heard back by now its probably not gonna be good news.. I wish they would just tell us earlier though so that we can make solid summer plans without the nagging though of "oh, what if i actually do get in... "

Has anyone who applied to tufts BDBS heard back yet?

They say may 1st on the website but i would imagine that they probably contact the people that got in early and then wait till the last minute to contact the rest of the rejected folks..

So im guessing since i haven't heard back by now its probably not gonna be good news.. I wish they would just tell us earlier though so that we can make solid summer plans without the nagging though of "oh, what if i actually do get in... "

I applied and haven't heard anything either... I tried calling a few days ago and it just kept going to voicemail.

I ended up getting rejected from all my programs, even my "safety". -_-

So lesson is to apply broadly and hope for the best. I am not that upset, I found a great clinical job for the summer so all is well. Good luck to you all and have fun at your programs!

So lesson is to apply broadly and hope for the best. I am not that upset, I found a great clinical job for the summer so all is well. Good luck to you all and have fun at your programs!

I wish you the very best in your summer endeavors.

Is anybody else committed to Baylor SMART? Have you guys gotten your lab placements yet? Gonna be a fun summer, bring A/C though :cool:

Glad things kind of worked out for you! I too spent days and weeks on these applications, only to not end up going to any of these programs.

Got rejected by Berkeley, Stanford, Wisconsin Madison (twice), and possible SHURP (still haven't heard from them) :(

Like I said a few pages ago I won a Costa Rica internship :even though it will be 6 weeks. Everything worked out in the end. I didn't expect for this to happen.

I've emailed some labs and have gotten positive responses from places such as MIT and UF. I think the problem generally shows up in the lack of funding these places have for summer students.
...and will you look at that, no funding at either place. Well, the guy at MIT could have requested funding but he said it was too much paperwork for him to handle (i.e. he couldn't be bothered to do it), so nothing :thumbdown:

Guess it's MCAT studying all summer long

...and will you look at that, no funding at either place. Well, the guy at MIT could have requested funding but he said it was too much paperwork for him to handle (i.e. he couldn't be bothered to do it), so nothing :thumbdown:

Guess it's MCAT studying all summer long
Volunteer?

Was just accepted a few weeks ago to my own undergrad's SURF program! Stoked for summer! :love:

Does anyone know how this looks on applications for med school?

Finally heard back from Columbia...didn't get it, but am super happy they finally (after taking almost whole semester) said something.

Congratulations to all who will be doing research this summer and good luck to any who are still waiting!

The Rosetta Institute of Biomedical Research is giving two workshops (lecture+lab) this summer on the molecular biology of cancer and their application deadline is not for a couple weeks. The workshop at UC Berkeley is almost full but there are spots available for the UC Santa Cruz workshop (8/11-8/25). If you are over the age of 18 they can make exceptions for you.

Well, fifteen applications later, I have received fifteen rejections as of noon today.

I kept blaming myself all afternoon, trying to figure out what I did wrong, but I guess the sheer volume of applicants makes it pretty impersonal.

I'll be doing a research fellowship with my current PI on my campus this summer, and we've got a few papers in the works that will hopefully be published by the time the summer is out. When I'm not in the lab I'll be working/volunteering with a local doctor who went to Harvard Med, who specializes in rural medicine, and I'm thinking of organizing free SAT tutoring to the local community at the public library in town. (And, you know, applying to medical school).

Congratulations to everyone who got into a program of their choice, and best wishes for your summers!!! You're all fantastic human beings. I don't know any of you personally, but there is no doubt that you are all a credit to your schools and fabulous people on top of that.

Incandesce, I am in the same situation as you, all rejections.

But I was able to get over it super fast (like 1 day lol). You seem to have plans for your summer that will keep you occupied, so you're good to go.

PI just got some funding $$$$$$$$ :love:

Whats the best way to prepare for your summer internship? What can I expect once I get there?

Whats the best way to prepare for your summer internship? What can I expect once I get there?

prepare by taking advantage of the little free time you have left. expect like 40hrs/wk in the lab.

Yeah I see. It would still be possible to squeeze in shadowing and volunteering though right?

Sure, though it'd probably have to be on weekends mostly. The program I'm doing has shadowing built in so there's space for it somewhere.

Anyone here doing the NIH SIP at the main campus in Bethesda? I'm starting on Monday!