Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2013

Started by La Presse
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lol didn't you already accept USCD?

Then again, even though I've already committed, I didn't withdraw my pending applications.... I'm curious to see if I get in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol didn't you already accept USCD?

Then again, even though I've already committed, I didn't withdraw my pending applications.... I'm curious to see if I get in.

You're right! I did!

I tried saying this earlier: I had told all the schools I had accepted an offer, but none of them paid attention to the email I sent or something! Lol... I keep receiving random emails about my status, it's kind of funny.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using SDN Mobile
 
I've yet to receive a rejection...

Could it be? You two might have the two coveted spots! Double check that they considered your application complete (ie: they received your transcript) by logging in and checking your status. Good luck!

I also got the rejection email 🙁
 
Could it be? You two might have the two coveted spots! Double check that they considered your application complete (ie: they received your transcript) by logging in and checking your status. Good luck!

I also got the rejection email 🙁
Yup, it is complete, just haven't heard from them yet. At this point it would just be frustrating if I actually got in since I've already accepted an offer!
 
Just got my rejection e-mail from the Columbia Public Health Scholars program. 50 out of 1400 applicants were selected.
 
Yup, it is complete, just haven't heard from them yet. At this point it would just be frustrating if I actually got in since I've already accepted an offer!

I'm still waiting to hear back from Sinai too. I hate how this gets my hopes up...
 
Anyone attending PSOMER this summer? Got my acceptance, was just wondering if anyone was going as well? 🙂
 
My roommate declined an offer he had already accepted to do his first choice program. It was not the end of the world. Then again, I accepted an internship offer at a smaller company before receiving an offer at my first choice company but stayed with the smaller company and things worked out fine. I think it really depends on whether you think your first choice program will afford you significantly better opportunities in the future than the one you already committed to.

Do you remember what your roommate said to the offer he had originally accepted?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have accepted the Einstein position. Anyone else? NEW YORK, NEW YORK! :banana: at first, but now :flame:

Congrats. I have also accepted an offer. :naughty:

I have received 2 offers so far , but I don't have the patience to wait on the others since they are on the bottom of my list.
 
La Presse, ooh, we should pm each other! (This is the first time ever I'm using the pm abbreviation) Twice now, haha!

GoodStuff Haha, yeah, I knew people would say tsomething about the NY part, but I was singing. "New York, New York" to myself when I typed it... I don't know any Bronx songs. But I was referring to the state, right? Yeah, totally! 🙂

Neurotroph, boogie down Bronx? I like the sound of that!
 
La Presse, ooh, we should pm each other! (This is the first time ever I'm using the pm abbreviation) Twice now, haha!

GoodStuff Haha, yeah, I knew people would say tsomething about the NY part, but I was singing. "New York, New York" to myself when I typed it... I don't know any Bronx songs. But I was referring to the state, right? Yeah, totally! 🙂

Neurotroph, boogie down Bronx? I like the sound of that!

The Bronx is also part of New York City; it's not a separate part of the state.
 
The Bronx is one of the 5 boroughs in NYC which is a city in the state of New York. LOL! Anyway you put it, you're going to Einstein and its an amazing place to be!
 
After about 8 decisions from REU programs, I only got into 1, with all of them telling my they had well over 200 applicants for 7-10 spots. I'm very grateful for the one spot, but honestly it's kind of crazy how competitive REUs are. I thought I'd be a shoe-in at supposedly "lower" ones like Kansas State U., but even they had 250 applications for about 7 spots :O

Well, I guess to be fair I had no research experience, but I was coming from a place with no research opportunities, so I figured my personal statement was pretty good.
 
Hey! I was waitlisted at Harvard's SHURP program almost a month ago and today I got an e-mail saying that I have been accepted. I have already committed to Weill Cornell's gateways to the lab program, so I will turn the offer down. To those of you waitlisted, don't lose all hope yet!
 
Last edited:
After about 8 decisions from REU programs, I only got into 1, with all of them telling my they had well over 200 applicants for 7-10 spots. I'm very grateful for the one spot, but honestly it's kind of crazy how competitive REUs are. I thought I'd be a shoe-in at supposedly "lower" ones like Kansas State U., but even they had 250 applications for about 7 spots :O

Well, I guess to be fair I had no research experience, but I was coming from a place with no research opportunities, so I figured my personal statement was pretty good.

Yeah, honestly it's a crapshoot. There are certain things that can improve your chances, like an excellent personal statement, URM, limited research environment, etc. But it all comes down to whether the admissions person reading it thinks you're a good fit for the program. And obviously, "good fit" is something that's hard to define as an applicant.
 
I'm going to assume that I got rejected from my last two Leadership Alliance sites, so lol at how this turned out

1. Leadership Alliance (1. Cornell Gateways, 2. Columbia, 3. Chicago)- Rejected
2. Rockefeller SURF- Rejected
3. Columbia Amgen- Rejected
4. UCSF Amgen- Rejected
5. WashU Amgen- Rejected
6. Stanford Amgen- Rejected
7. MIT Amgen- Rejected
8. U of Washington Amgen - Rejected

9. Michigan Pre-MSTP- Accepted (even with a week late LOR)
10. UCB Amgen- Rejected
11. UCSD Pre-MSTP- Rejected


Guess who I'll be rooting for in the Final Four...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, this thread is winding down. I'll post my summary too.

Rejected from: HSCI, Rockefeller, Sinai (I'm assuming it's a silent rejection at this point), EPFL, Sloan Kettering (rejected off waitlist)

Accepted: DAAD Rise

Will be interning with a prof I contacted by email. Moral of the story: don't waste your time with these programs!! lol.
 
Is anyone still waiting on UCSF Amgen? I'm thinking about calling them either today or Monday.

I had been sitting on their waitlist for an obscenely long time so I e-mailed them on Monday, and they replied the next day with a very vague "we have yet to finalize decisions, thank you for your patience." (Seeing as I have next to no patience and had a time-sensitive acceptance, I sent a withdrawal e-mail yesterday.)

Maybe a phone call will yield more precise results? Good luck!
 
I had been sitting on their waitlist for an obscenely long time so I e-mailed them on Monday, and they replied the next day with a very vague "we have yet to finalize decisions, thank you for your patience." (Seeing as I have next to no patience and had a time-sensitive acceptance, I sent a withdrawal e-mail yesterday.)

Maybe a phone call will yield more precise results? Good luck!


Thanks! It's the last program I have to hear back from. They are rolling acceptances, but I kind of want to know what I'll be doing this summer. And congrats about your other acceptance!
 
Has anyone applied to or heard from PSOMER, UCininatti, or MCHC RISE-UP?
I applied to MCHC RISE-UP and still haven't heard back even though they said applicants will be mailed decision letters in late March. I wonder if they are going the silent rejection route.
 
I applied to MCHC RISE-UP and still haven't heard back even though they said applicants will be mailed decision letters in late March. I wonder if they are going the silent rejection route.

I've heard the decisions will be made the second week of April.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anybody else apply to the Student Research Program at the University of Colorado school of medicine/ Children's Hospital Colorado? I just received my acceptance and I'll be attending it from out of state, so I was hoping I could meet some people before I go!

Does anybody familiar with the Denver area have any recommendations of things to do/see while I'm there!?
 
Thanks! It's the last program I have to hear back from. They are rolling acceptances, but I kind of want to know what I'll be doing this summer. And congrats about your other acceptance!

Same I am still waiting on them. I don't even think they've sent out rejections yet (correct me if I'm wrong).

I called before but the lady said that I am on a waitlist and she will call me back in a couple of days to tell me the status of the waitlist. Never got a call -_-
 
Did anybody else apply to the Student Research Program at the University of Colorado school of medicine/ Children's Hospital Colorado? I just received my acceptance and I'll be attending it from out of state, so I was hoping I could meet some people before I go!

Does anybody familiar with the Denver area have any recommendations of things to do/see while I'm there!?

Funny you should mention that program. I just got my rejection from Jessica.