Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2013

Started by La Presse
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! Same exact thing happened to me; just got a position in a lab, and I applied to ~11 programs stating I have zero research experience.

Congrats to you too! I guess I can finally say that there's an upside to procrastinating lol.
 
Found out today that I got hired for the lab position I wanted!!! Too bad I already turned in my Columbia AMGEN app, and I don't think they take updates.

Congrats! Same exact thing happened to me; just got a position in a lab, and I applied to ~11 programs stating I have zero research experience.


At this point it's probably best not to send them an update, it will make it seem like it's just difficult to attain a research position where you come from, which will probably help you more. Telling them you have a lab position now will add nothing substantial since you have no experience in it, but it will show that research is very available to you.

You see how I just went inside the adcomms heads? :naughty:

Congrats btw.
 
At this point it's probably best not to send them an update, it will make it seem like it's just difficult to attain a research position where you come from, which will probably help you more. Telling them you have a lab position now will add nothing substantial since you have no experience in it, but it will show that research is very available to you.

You see how I just went inside the adcomms heads? :naughty:

Congrats btw.

That's true, too. My situation is a little weird-- I didn't have any experience as I went to a CC, but literally just transferred 3 weeks ago, so was able to get a spot. I still think you're right though; I pretty much sold my apps on the aspect of attending a CC and not having available research gigs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have revamped my application and knocked off my first choice since they are unresponsive. As a result, I am adding a few more applications, those that suit my current situation.
 
Is anyone else nervous about decisions? I read last year's thread and the majority of it were filled with rejections.I am scrambling to get new letters and keep adding programs to my list. Eek!!
 
Is anyone else nervous about decisions? I read last year's thread and the majority of it were filled with rejections.I am scrambling to get new letters and keep adding programs to my list. Eek!!
dont stress out. lol
how many are you applying to in total?
 
how many recommenders did you ask in total?
only one person has submitted my letters so far..... the other two are waiting.... till the last min smh :-/
 
Anyone know how these programs accept early? There was a poster earlier said that he/she was accepted to Mayo's summer program already, but on the application it says decisions are sent in March.. Was there an early action application that I missed?
 
To my knowledge, most programs dont start reviewing until after the deadline has passed.

Ok good, that's what I thought too 🙂

Previous participant here.

2011 UTHSCSA - summer cancer research
2012 Mayo Clinic - summer ICU research

2013 Apps
1. UTHSCSA- early acceptance
2. Mayo Clinic/NIH- Accepted early

3. Stanford Amgen (app complete) but will be first choice if accepted


letters from previous mentors. GPA 3.88.

Maybe this was a different program? "Mayo Clinic/NIH" ?
 
Hey guys! New sdn-er here. I wasn't really planning on applying to any summer programs since I was just going to focus on studying for the MCATs and continue working at the lab I've been in for the past 8 months, but my PI convinced to apply because he cannot pay me over the summer otherwise. So here I am, scrambling to gather all the necessary materials for the two programs I am applying to and reading this forum to get some insight on how other people are doing.

I'm applying to an Amgens program and an REU that are both at the university I study at.

I went to the Amgens office at my school and spoke with the representative there. She reassured me that the applications are all read at the same time and that there is a grace period after the deadline for last minute letters of recommendations to be submitted. I am a sophomore at a really large undergraduate university so getting letters of recommendations is really difficult for me. I asked my old mentor from a different institute that I used to work at for two summers when I was in high school to write me a rec, but Amgens really discourages letters from anyone who did not work with the applicant in a college setting. Nevertheless, I don't really have any other choice seeing as I would only have a week to befriend another professor.

Also, one of the sections in the application asks what my future educational and career objectives are. What if I'm still deciding between MD/PhD and just MD? If I say I want to do MD-only but also do research, will that hurt my application?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! New sdn-er here. I wasn't really planning on applying to any summer programs since I was just going to focus on studying for the MCATs and continue working at the lab I've been in for the past 8 months, but my PI convinced to apply because he cannot pay me over the summer otherwise. So here I am, scrambling to gather all the necessary materials for the two programs I am applying to and reading this forum to get some insight on how other people are doing.

I'm applying to an Amgens program and an REU that are both at the university I study at.

I went to the Amgens office at my school and spoke with the representative there. She reassured me that the applications are all read at the same time and that there is a grace period after the deadline for last minute letters of recommendations to be submitted. I am a sophomore at a really large undergraduate university so getting letters of recommendations is really difficult for me. I asked my old mentor from a different institute that I used to work at for two summers when I was in high school to write me a rec, but Amgens really discourages letters from anyone who did not work with the applicant in a college setting. Nevertheless, I don't really have any other choice seeing as I would only have a week to befriend another professor.

Also, one of the sections in the application asks what my future educational and career objectives are. What if I'm still deciding between MD/PhD and just MD? If I say I want to do MD-only but also do research, will that hurt my application?

😆

In all my applications, I stated interest in a PhD program. If I mentioned interest in an MD, it was only partially. Preference is typically given to people who are interested in graduate studies. I would advise you to put down MD/PhD to avoid being disingenuous.
 
These apps are stressing me out. I am trying to fit one more application and have only one letter writer left. I am trying to decide between UNT Smart, Emory SURE, or one of the programs at UNMC.

Can anyone help?
 
These apps are stressing me out. I am trying to fit one more application and have only one letter writer left. I am trying to decide between UNT Smart, Emory SURE, or one of the programs at UNMC.

Can anyone help?

I'd personally go for the place with the more exciting location. But that's just me since location was my first criteria for choosing places.
 
I'd personally go for the place with the more exciting location. But that's just me since location was my first criteria for choosing places.

That is how I chose mine as well. Top choice is in New York, but then again, I would actually like to do research this summer, so there is a bit of variability in my list. I could have easily applied to a list full of Amgens located in Cali or NY or MO, but I am trying to go for the less popular programs as I round up my essays and submit letters. If you read last year's thread, it is extremely depressing. I think I am stopping at 12 programs. :scared:
 
Last edited:
As an older "non-trad" student, I want to give a few pointers for applicants.

1. Contributing factors for being accepted to research programs. In my opinion are:
Personal Statement > Letters of Recommendation > URM > GPA > Research experience.

Some may very by program, but for my two research experiences neither GPA nor previous research was too relevant, it seems. I honestly think I just wrote one strong Personal statement. My GPA, however, was above 3.9 in both applications but I come from a very poor ranking university. At Mayo I saw some people with GPA's below 3.5 and some that just finished their first year of undergrad, which means they only applied with one semester under their belt. They must have submitted some great letters of recc. and or personal statement if you think about it.

Also last year I saw various SDNers posting and incredible amount of application and getting rejected. So i seriously doubt they put in effort into a solid application. I only applied to a handful of programs last year and my only rejection was one from Harvard. After glancing over the application, my PS was some what weak for Harvard. However, i received interesting invites from John Hopkins, UTSW, Mayo and UTHSCSA.

At Mayo their are NO early acceptances! At least not for first time applicants. I happened to be funded by NIH for Mayo Clinic research as opposed to Mayo Clinic funding. Interestingly enough, i learned that there are benefits to being funded by NIH. One of which is eligibility for 2 summer participations, contingent that the research is involved with Heart, Lungs and or Blood. I did not choose to be funded by the NIH, i dont know exactly how I qualified.

Currently, UTHSCSA has a program with my university to allow most of the students who apply for the research job to be accepted, and I am not to sure how many apply, but they have offered some jobs to people at my school with little or no research experience and very low GPAs.

However, UTHSCSA was and has probably been the most important of my experience because they opened up the doors for in ways in which I cannot describe.

Previous research experience is not an important factor at most undergrad research programs, but they will help your application. I know a few research programs are highly completive but their are plenty of big name institutes they will give you an opportunity. Just make sure you are able to express yourself properly in a personal statement. If your GPA is above 3.3 or 3.4, I dont see any reason why anyone here shouldnt be accepted into good programs. Unless you write a really bad letter.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions you can PM me.

I would like to let those know who are extremely anxious to just relax and take it with a grain of salt. You will probably get many acceptances and then you will have a harder time deciding where to go.

Good luck!
 
As an older "non-trad" student, I want to give a few pointers for applicants.

1. Contributing factors for being accepted to research programs. In my opinion are:
Personal Statement > Letters of Recommendation > URM > GPA > Research experience.

Some may very by program, but for my two research experiences neither GPA nor previous research was too relevant, it seems. I honestly think I just wrote one strong Personal statement. My GPA, however, was above 3.9 in both applications but I come from a very poor ranking university. At Mayo I saw some people with GPA's below 3.5 and some that just finished their first year of undergrad, which means they only applied with one semester under their belt. They must have submitted some great letters of recc. and or personal statement if you think about it.

Also last year I saw various SDNers posting and incredible amount of application and getting rejected. So i seriously doubt they put in effort into a solid application. I only applied to a handful of programs last year and my only rejection was one from Harvard. After glancing over the application, my PS was some what weak for Harvard. However, i received interesting invites from John Hopkins, UTSW, Mayo and UTHSCSA.

At Mayo their are NO early acceptances! At least not for first time applicants. I happened to be funded by NIH for Mayo Clinic research as opposed to Mayo Clinic funding. Interestingly enough, i learned that there are benefits to being funded by NIH. One of which is eligibility for 2 summer participations, contingent that the research is involved with Heart, Lungs and or Blood. I did not choose to be funded by the NIH, i dont know exactly how I qualified.

Currently, UTHSCSA has a program with my university to allow most of the students who apply for the research job to be accepted, and I am not to sure how many apply, but they have offered some jobs to people at my school with little or no research experience and very low GPAs.

However, UTHSCSA was and has probably been the most important of my experience because they opened up the doors for in ways in which I cannot describe.

Previous research experience is not an important factor at most undergrad research programs, but they will help your application. I know a few research programs are highly completive but their are plenty of big name institutes they will give you an opportunity. Just make sure you are able to express yourself properly in a personal statement. If your GPA is above 3.3 or 3.4, I dont see any reason why anyone here shouldnt be accepted into good programs. Unless you write a really bad letter.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions you can PM me.

I would like to let those know who are extremely anxious to just relax and take it with a grain of salt. You will probably get many acceptances and then you will have a harder time deciding where to go.

Good luck!


Do you have any tips to writing a strong personal statement? I've never actually written one before and every time I tell myself I'm going to start on it, I end up staring at my screen for hours. :uhno:
 
Do you have any tips to writing a strong personal statement? I've never actually written one before and every time I tell myself I'm going to start on it, I end up staring at my screen for hours. :uhno:

Use meaningful extracurriculars or experiences as a foundation; this usually works, but if you don't have meaningful extracurriculars then just talk about your background/life/diversity etc. Use specific examples of your accomplishments. Tie in the introduction and conclusion to make it flow well. Revise and edit like a madman.

Most importantly, be honest. Don't write what you think they WANT to hear, write what you actually feel.
 
Hi everyone! I'm a junior who is currently applying to summer research programs.

Did anyone apply to the SURP at Sinai? Did you have to mail in your transcript? I scanned mine, and submitted it with the application.
 
Hi everyone! I'm a junior who is currently applying to summer research programs.

Did anyone apply to the SURP at Sinai? Did you have to mail in your transcript? I scanned mine, and submitted it with the application.

I don't think you have to mail it. I uploaded a print screened version from online and my application is deemed complete.
 
Cool! Did you hear anything back?

Not yet, even though I submitted early January. But I think review begins after the deadline, we hear early March (Way too long of a wait).

I'm honestly not holding my hopes up too high, but worth a shot.
 
14 apps submitted. Now the wait begins.... 🙁

1. Case
2. UMass
3. UNMC - Peds
4. UNMC - Physio
5. UNLV
6. WVU
7. Wadsworth
8. Emory
9. UWash
10. UGA
11. UVM
12. CI
13. Cornell Access
14. Rochester SSP

Some take update letters, so i will be sending them accordingly.

#yolo?
 
Last edited:
14 apps submitted. Now the wait begins.... 🙁

1. Case
2. UMass
3. UNMC - Peds
4. UNMC - Physio
5. UNLV
6. WVU
7. Wadsworth
8. Emory
9. UWash
10. UGA
11. UVM
12. CI
13. Cornell Access
14. Rochester SSP

Some take update letters, so i will be sending them accordingly.

#yolo?

Damn that's a lot. What will you put in an update letter? I mean you have a month before decisions start going out so...
 
14 apps submitted. Now the wait begins.... 🙁

1. Case
2. UMass
3. UNMC - Peds
4. UNMC - Physio
5. UNLV
6. WVU
7. Wadsworth
8. Emory
9. UWash
10. UGA
11. UVM
12. CI
13. Cornell Access
14. Rochester SSP

Some take update letters, so i will be sending them accordingly.

#yolo?

So much #YOLO, gurl.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Use meaningful extracurriculars or experiences as a foundation; this usually works, but if you don't have meaningful extracurriculars then just talk about your background/life/diversity etc. Use specific examples of your accomplishments. Tie in the introduction and conclusion to make it flow well. Revise and edit like a madman.

Most importantly, be honest. Don't write what you think they WANT to hear, write what you actually feel.

Do you have any tips to writing a strong personal statement? I've never actually written one before and every time I tell myself I'm going to start on it, I end up staring at my screen for hours. :uhno:

There are multiple aspects, however, I believe that a great or strong personal statement has an essence of enthusiasm written all over it. Pure excitement.

Do some research on the institute you are applying to, and state certain facts about the school that attract you tremendously to it. Don't just use the same PS over and over or a generic PS. Instead modify it for each school you are applying too. I like to make the school feel like its the best and super special to me and I emphasize why I believe so.

If you have no previous research experience, then be honest! However, state how eager you are to attain that research experience, which you have been told is SO AWESOME!

Get the idea?

Enthusiasm!

There are a bunch of techniques and things you can put on the PS which make up for having low GPA or no research experience.


If anything, I like to talk more about what motivates me as opposed to previous experience.

Here is why. Talking about previous experiences sounds more show-offish and it can come out some what arrogant.

However, talking about your goals can be more exciting, I feel.

Before writing my letters with my intentions for research, I did some google searches with regards to the purpose of MD/PhD programs. Basically, I realized that these tracks of MD with research are really headed toward becoming professors, hence I state that I would one day like to educate those students who then show the same excitement for science the way I do now. Except i use fancier words and my sentences arent as awkward as in this message here.


Furthermore, I understand that some sample essays online sound like people speak about their underprivileged backgrounds. Please believe that I am severely underprivileged. I, however, find this a very tacky technique and over used and frankly, If I were an admissions persons, I would be bored to read these "oh! life has been cruel to me and my family" type of statements. There might be some really sad stories that you can talk about but I would only use it if I turned the sad story into super success. For example, I always mention that I am a High School drop out, however, I dont stay stuck on that. I quickly state my GPA and that it only took me 2 years to reach senior status at my university.


Here is another example, some years ago, a "nobody" soccer fan in England become the manager of a soccer team with out any professional experience as a manager or coach. I happened to find the letter online and used it as a template for some application. I reasoned that this guy must of written one awesome crazy letter in order to of have been given the job and he did! Im not searching the document for you, but Im sure there are many other examples out there you can find if you do your homework.

There are many things that I can talk about all day, but just do some google searches and use some of the templates online as a starting point.

Please be advised that this is just the way I do things and is not precisely the proper manner in which to write personal statements.

Thats all I can think for now.

Hope it helps.. Good luck.
 
As an older "non-trad" student, I want to give a few pointers for applicants.

1. Contributing factors for being accepted to research programs. In my opinion are:
Personal Statement > Letters of Recommendation > URM > GPA > Research experience.

Some may very by program, but for my two research experiences neither GPA nor previous research was too relevant, it seems. I honestly think I just wrote one strong Personal statement. My GPA, however, was above 3.9 in both applications but I come from a very poor ranking university. At Mayo I saw some people with GPA's below 3.5 and some that just finished their first year of undergrad, which means they only applied with one semester under their belt. They must have submitted some great letters of recc. and or personal statement if you think about it.

...If your GPA is above 3.3 or 3.4, I dont see any reason why anyone here shouldnt be accepted into good programs. Unless you write a really bad letter.

This makes me feel better. I better hurry up and finish these essays. I'm aiming to begin editing by tomorrow at the least. Gotta be for real this time.
 
Probably because you have a female in your avatar who isn't being objectified in some way. It's pretty sad (not you, everyone else's assumptions).

Oh, trust me. I had alternatives. :naughty: But the cutie in my grey avvy suffices....for now.
 
I feel way behind on this whole thing, I decided recently that I wanted to try for a summer research program. I browsed through this thread a bit... So are most people here in the sophomore / junior category? Are there many opportunities for students who have already been accepted at MD only programs and will be starting school in the fall? Basically are there programs out there that allow MD only students to research with them pre m1 year?
 
I feel way behind on this whole thing, I decided recently that I wanted to try for a summer research program. I browsed through this thread a bit... So are most people here in the sophomore / junior category? Are there many opportunities for students who have already been accepted at MD only programs and will be starting school in the fall? Basically are there programs out there that allow MD only students to research with them pre m1 year?


Congratulations on your acceptance! 🙂 May I ask which school are you going to?
And I don't know of any programs that accept people who have already gotten into graduate/medical school :/


And thank you Lsegura83 for the tips on the sop!
 
Congratulations on your acceptance! 🙂 May I ask which school are you going to?
And I don't know of any programs that accept people who have already gotten into graduate/medical school :/


And thank you Lsegura83 for the tips on the sop!

Not sure yet, I was accepted at Oakland University, Southern Illinois University, Medical College of Wisconsin and waiting on an admissions decision from Mayo. Thanks for your feedback, I will keep hunting. If anyone knows anything I would appreciate info.
 
Decided to add one last application. My PI was the one who actually encouraged me to do this (the best person, seriously). It's UPenn SUPERS for cancer radiation biology research. Seems like a good program, but again difficult to get into (3.78 avg GPA). Gotta get the application in by friday, wooooo!
 
So one of my recommenders sent his letter last night but the other still hasn't and he didn't respond to the email I wrote asking how the letter was going. One of my apps is due tomorrow at 4 so I'm getting nervous but I also don't want to be naggy -_-
 
So one of my recommenders sent his letter last night but the other still hasn't and he didn't respond to the email I wrote asking how the letter was going. One of my apps is due tomorrow at 4 so I'm getting nervous but I also don't want to be naggy -_-

When did you send in the email? Don't feel bad about alerting them, otherwise it could mess everything up!

If they haven't uploaded the letter by tomorrow morning, email them again as soon as you wake up and tell them the urgency of the situation. They really don't have grounds to be upset if you had informed them of the deadline way earlier (which I am assuming you did?).
 
When did you send in the email? Don't feel bad about alerting them, otherwise it could mess everything up!

If they haven't uploaded the letter by tomorrow morning, email them again as soon as you wake up and tell them the urgency of the situation. They really don't have grounds to be upset if you had informed them of the deadline way earlier (which I am assuming you did?).

I sent the email on Tuesday. I did ask for a letter way ahead of time for nearly all of the programs, but I didn't tell him about the fellowship application that's due at 4pm until Tuesday since I recently added that on. I figured it would be ok because he could just use the same letter. I think that one has a grace period at least.
 
I sent the email on Tuesday. I did ask for a letter way ahead of time for nearly all of the programs, but I didn't tell him about the fellowship application that's due at 4pm until Tuesday since I recently added that on. I figured it would be ok because he could just use the same letter. I think that one has a grace period at least.

Just email them tomorrow with "Hi, this is just to remind you that the deadline is x, thank you again for writing me the letter!". Or something along those lines.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some of my programs are already starting to review applications, so I am scrambling... 🙁
 
Some of my programs are already starting to review applications, so I am scrambling... 🙁

Haha yeah the Feb 1st deadline is here. At this point I just can't wait to know the results; please god, just give me 1 program!

Good luck to everyone submitting.
 
Soooooo.... Anybody else pulling an all-nighter to get their apps done? Or am I the only procrastinator here?
 
Soooooo.... Anybody else pulling an all-nighter to get their apps done? Or am I the only procrastinator here?

Joining the club. I have 9 more to go, but it's mostly just a matter of the best way to copy and paste essays at this point since I've filled out everything else on them.