Summer Research....?? Do I still need it if....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeafNinja

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I already have a research position at my institution that I do during the year. However, I also happen to live very close to my university so I can commute there everyday during the summer as well. I have spoken to my prof about this and he said he was glad to have my almost as a private lab student over the summer.

This seems ideal for me, however I see everyone else going to these "summer programs" for research which some guarantee "publishing a paper" by the end of.

First of all, to me that doesn't seem realistic because how can you publish something in 3 months or less???

Second, those people going to the programs have not found such a good research position as I have so they probably have to do research during the summer. No choice.

So basically, I don't think I need ANOTHER research position over the summer and should just continue where I am right now.

What does everyone else think about this??? Thanks in advance everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I think people get their names published because they put in a lot of legwork on the research. If you're there 8 hours a day over the summer, you're probably contributing significantly enough to get your name on a publication.

Ultimately, it's your choice. If you feel you have enough research experience, don't do it.

What are you going to do over the summer if you don't research?

? what do you mean "what are you going to do over the the summer if you don't research?"

I said I was going to research...maybe I wasn't clear enough. I will put in roughly 8 hours a day, yeah. By then I will be independent because I am going through training this quarter and I will probably be independent spring quarter/mid spring quarter.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

oh yea, I will be with this lab for 4 years or so, so I know i will get SOMETHING published, but I was just wondering if those summer programs are "legit" or "special" in a way. I mean, they're probably legit ie, NIH runs them. But how can you expect to do research and publish something in 3 months? I guess for the NIH ones you are going in pre-trained with strong research background, but still...you probably own't be 1st or 2nd author or those ie. worthless.

I am currently sticking with my current research because it is so interesting and I spend all my free time working on it/reading up on it (and SDN). also, the people there like me and I even showed up during winter break to research.

Members don't see this ad :)
? what do you mean "what are you going to do over the the summer if you don't research?"

I said I was going to research...maybe I wasn't clear enough. I will put in roughly 8 hours a day, yeah. By then I will be independent because I am going through training this quarter and I will probably be independent spring quarter/mid spring quarter.
gotcha, I thought you were saying you didn't need more research experience over the summer, so you'd just do it for the semester and take a break over the summer.

you're good where you are. those summer programs are nice because a lot of the time they're at medical schools and the researchers get published often, meaning you've got a good chance of getting your name on the publication.

you're fine doing what you're doing.

Don't switch labs if you don't have to. It is best to get stay at your lab, get to know your professor really really well (LOR) and you are much more likely to get published if you are continuing on a project that you have worked the entire year on. There is no reason to do a special program, and it does seem ridiculous to guarantee a publication in 3 months. If you like the lab you are in now, stay.

ok thank you very much for your time armybound and Prophage.

I will stay here and do long-term research over a summer program. Good luck with your apps and journey!!

Hi everyone,

First of all, to me that doesn't seem realistic because how can you publish something in 3 months or less???

Second, those people going to the programs have not found such a good research position as I have so they probably have to do research during the summer. No choice.

So basically, I don't think I need ANOTHER research position over the summer and should just continue where I am right now.

What does everyone else think about this??? Thanks in advance everyone.

I do not know which summer research programs you are thinking about doing but the purpose of those summer programs is to recruit potential PhD and MD/pHD candidates to their schools( as a side note many of the top summer programs wont consider candidates who are solely interested in a MD) and most require some previous research experience. Experience in these programs are by no means needed to get into medical school and should only be pursued if you have a genuine interest in biomedical research and a genuine interest in that school because otherwise you are wasting their time. It is definately possible to get a publishing from a summer program experience- probably not a first authorship but you are usually attached to an already established project that is well on its way to publication. However, the primary focus of a summer research program should never be simply to get a publishing, the purpose is to explore your interests in biomedical research and how that research can relate to a future career in medicine. If you like your project that you are currently working on now then stick with it but if you wanted to get some insight into another field of study then go for the summer programs but don't do it just to stick it on a resume.

But how can you expect to do research and publish something in 3 months? I guess for the NIH ones you are going in pre-trained with strong research background, but still...you probably own't be 1st or 2nd author or those ie. worthless.

Well, it would be one of a few situations: you are fortuitous enough to walk in right when the project has one last part left and you do that part, you do your own project that is simple enough for you to do in 3 months yet complex enough to get published, or you do a project that was designed by the PI but it involves enough crappy work that nobody else is willing to do it.

And even with one of those options, you wouldn't (um, couldn't!) be published in 3 months. You may have the paper written, but it still has to go out to the journals, peer-reviewed, revised, accepted, and then published (hec, the last part alone can take up to a year for some major journals).

I am the second author on a paper that is going to be published from my summer work, but notice how I said "going to be" and it's January.

Personally, I'd stick with the lab that you've been working on. You have a relationship with the prof there and it sounds like, at the bare minimum, you'll get a pretty awesome rec out of it.