Summer Volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon242

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My summer plans sort of fell through, but I'm trying to get some solid volunteering experience in. Does anyone have any advice for where to look for volunteer positions? I'm trying at hospitals but there's not too many in my area and most of them aren't currently taking new volunteers. Are there any other places people would recommend looking? A hospice/nursing home is willing to take me, but would that still count as clinical, patient contact volunteering? I'm not sure how hospice or nursing home volunteering would be viewed. Would it perhaps depend on the department for which I volunteered? Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Look into the possibility of working at camps for children with various health issues. These camps are usually a week long, and you would have exposure to chronic illnesses, plus the fun of working at camp.

Look into the possibility of working at camps for children with various health issues. These camps are usually a week long, and you would have exposure to chronic illnesses, plus the fun of working at camp.

It may be a little late to do something like this. One summer camp that I know of fill the staff positions back in March.

I would say go with the sure thing of the nursing home. Also, don't forget about the smaller hospitals in your area. The large hospitals have volunteers coming out their ears. But I volunteer at a small community hospital (ED has only 19 beds) and they are in constant need of new volunteers.

Good luck.
dsoz