Summertime REUs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

al112987

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a queston about this since there hasn't seemed to be any past thread on this (at least that I could find using the search function)

I have been working in a lab that I really like with a PI and staff that are actually quite fond of me since last summer. Currently, I am not getting any credits or such for the research because it isn't at my home institution, I go simply because I like working there. Since my major requires that we have a certain amount of research hours, I have to start at my current school with a new lab next fall.

So I recently applied to a few REU programs for this summer. If I were got into one of them, I'd hate to pass up the opportunity (and the nice monetary compensation) to go elsewhere for a while, meet new people, see new projects, etc. So my question is, that if I were to go to spend my summer at an REU, does anyone think it would look bad to have only worked at a lab for slightly less than a year and jumping ship right after the publication goes out? For some reason, it gives me the feeling of shamelessly padding my resume (which I'm honestly not).

And if anyone has done an REU, was it really THAT great of an experience?

Now I don't want to start putting words in my mouth, because 9 chances out of 10, I get rejected from the REU programs I applied to (apparently they are insanely competitive), but I'm just curious. And probably just suffering from the typical neurotic pre-med syndrome.

Members don't see this ad.

i applied to like 8 reu's as an engineer-turned-bio major with only half a year of general bio under my belt. so the only place i got in was an ecology thing in georgia. i didn't care much for ecology, but i didn't have anything else to do for the summer and it seemed like a good deal, so off i went. it was so awesome!! i thought i would hate research and didn't. i thought i would despise studying tree population densities for a whole summer and didn't. mind you, i had a really awesome, low-key reu where we went to six flags and the zoo and botanical gardens on the weekends, and i know this is not the case everywhere. but i loved mine, even though i initially had zero interest in the subject matter. hope that helps...

Don't feel guilty, even if the timing does wind up working out that way.Leaving in order to take advantage of a limited opportunity is not the same as jumping ship.

If you really enjoy the lab you're in now, and would rather not change next year, perhaps you could make arrangements through your school to get the credits you need for time spent there in the coming school year. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is nothing wrong with doing an REU - these experiences were built to be only a summer long and med schools know this. However, from purely a results/abstracts/pubs standpoint, it's more productive to stick with the same lab for a certain number of years. The primary drawback with an REU stems from the fact that a PI is a lot less likely to entrust you with larger projects / more responsibility simply because he doesn't know you. So what you often find when doing REUs is that just as you find yourself starting to make good progress, the summer is over. It is a little easier if you are paired with a graduate student, but I've always preferred to be more independent and take on my own project. I did two REUs and had a great PI in both the programs who allowed me all the freedom in the world to take on my own project. I've found that the breadth of research that I've done, while not necessarily as deep as many others, has been a strong talking point at interviews. However, I've most likely paid for this breadth as I have no publications under my belt (two are in preparation right now, but will be submitted too late for this cycle).

All that aside, the real merit of the REU program comes from the people you meet. Anytime that you throw 15-20 people with at least somewhat similar interests in a new place, some interesting group dynamics always form. Whereas if I had stayed at my home institution, I would have hung out primarily with an old group of friends, doing REUs has allowed me to meet some pretty sweet people from all around the US, many of whom I still talk to on a fairly consistent basis. Add that to the opportunity to live in a new place for 10 weeks (when choosing an REU site, always go for location - I spent two summers in DC and Philly and could not have been happier) and the decent money they pay (4000-4500 on top of housing/travel stipend - not great, but enough for a cycle of med school apps with enough left over to enjoy the summer) and I'd say and REU is great for anyone who might not yet know what kind of research he wants to get into or is looking for more breadth.

Thanks for the input guys. I just feel really bad about the prospect of leaving the lab I'm currently in earlier than I have to because I was hoping I could show some actual commitment to the place. Especially since my PI has been so accommodating.

To humidbeing, I did ask my dept if I would be able to continue at my current lab for credit, but they already declined my request. Moving to a new lab next year might not be so bad, my current PI has a really distinguished colleague who works at my school, who does research in the same field.

I'm glad the REU experiences were so great for you guys, now I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping they like me enough to give me a spot.

I'd do it, unless of course staying in the lab for the summer will result in a publication. But you are right, REU programs are insanely competitive (the school I'm at now had over 300 applicants for 8 spots).

As for the experience, a friend of mine did a Computer Science REU and had mixed feelings - he didn't really feel like he contributed much (just how much can you do in 10 weeks?), but he met a lot of cool people and was paid ~$3000.