SUNY Downstate-Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesse7736

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting this up! Anyone accepted going for sure?

Members don't see this ad.

What were your stats like and what UGRAD did you go to? Also are you a NY Resident?

Jesse7736 said:
Starting this up! Anyone accepted going for sure?

im accepted for sure. guess ill be seeing you in august.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also accepted and will be going for sure. I'm not a New York state resident so I'll be living off-campus. Anyone else planning on doing that?

got accepted on christmas eve. that was such a great present.

Congrats dude. That is really exciting...I really liked downstate when I interviewed and I have worked there in the past. I think there is a good chance I will be going. I think Kings County is an incredible place to learn medicine.

How about you think you will go?

I'm in at Downstate it's one of my top 3. Just waiting on decisions @ AECOM and Stony.

it'll definitely be a tough decision.

Downstate is in my top 4...im considering NYMed, and waiting on NYU and AECOM (the big guys). What are you thoughts on the school...im a little worried about the neighborhood. Do you guys think its safe?

Also, because so many people live off campus, i wonder about the cohesiveness of the classes.

I love the accessibility to the city and other boroughs though. train is so close.

Thoughts, anyone?

for those of you who interviewed at Downstate...I interview there in a couple of weeks, do you have any recommendations on where I should stay, location or specific hotel. Thanks for the help.

Hi Everybody! I have been waiting for someone to start this.

I will most likely be at Downstate in the fall- just waiting to hear one more decision. I live in Brooklyn now, and am so excited that I will be able to stay. I do plan on living off campus though so that I can keep my dog with me :) Anyone else planning to live off-campus?

Also- does anyone know if Downstate does a "second-look" day? I would love to go back and visit and maybe meet some of you guys.

mammoth- I think there is a marriott in Brooklyn Heights. you may consider staying there because it would only be like a 15 min cab ride/train. otherwise, there would be lots of hotels in manhattan. good luck!

elr24 said:
I'm also accepted and will be going for sure. I'm not a New York state resident so I'll be living off-campus. Anyone else planning on doing that?

just saw this post- i will be living in brooklyn heights or cobble hill . i live there now, but will be looking for a new apartment in the spring. do you know what neighborhood you will be in?

I interviewed at downstate today and found that I *really* liked it. Guess I'm up for the many months of waiting to see if I get in...

Members don't see this ad :)
allisonbk said:
just saw this post- i will be living in brooklyn heights or cobble hill . i live there now, but will be looking for a new apartment in the spring. do you know what neighborhood you will be in?

I'm not sure yet. I was thinking of looking in Prospect Heights because it's on the 2 train. I'm not from New York so I don't know Brooklyn that well.

I was recently accepted, and most likelye will be there in the fall. what's everyone doing for housing? on or off campus? i'm from cali, so i don't know anything about the neighborhoods, other than that williamsburg is hip n cool.

also, i applied mdphd, so my day was booked with interviews, and little time to talk to the students. did they generally seem happy? supportive?

I'm an MS1 at Downstate now (just finished napping for the past 10 hours after a GI midterm) and I can answer some questions for you guys:

Student body: Generally cool and definately supportive. I'm a bit older (29), so to be honest some "kids" are, well, kids, but friendly supportive, we're all in this together. But I was kind of surprised at the diversity of my class. I love my "carrell" (sp?) people (you have a desk in 1 of like 7 or so rooms, and your small group learning is done with these people and some in your anatomy lab too to foster relationships). LIke I said, good deal of diversity and I clicked with many people, and didn't with a lot. With a class of 170+, plenty of people to become friends with no matter where you come from, background, interests, etc. It's fun, and lots of people to smile and say hello to every morning.

Living: Just me, living in dorms was NOT an option. I'm done that almost a decade ago, lived on my own, and it sucks in my opinion. Alot of people do, and there is a dorm click imo, but it depends on person. If you like dorm life, maybe a bit younger, then go for it. Though I HEAR that heating, AC and maintenance and stuff not great. (actually no AC allowed). I live in Prospect Heights just by museum, love it, nice, older crowd at local bar, it's more me - pay $850 for my share of a 2 bdrm with another MS1.

What else, i dunno, Downstate is just home now. Like most of you, I thought the condition of the facilities was a factor in deciding, but 8 or so months in, it doesn't matter whether or not you see wiring on way to anatomy lab. The professors kick ass here in my opinion (hard to compare to other schools, and I don't go to many lectures, but nice, especially anatomy folks). There is a supportive atmosphere from top down. My only "gripe" is that some students are childish and immature but so was I when I was 22 or 23.

Best of luck, message me if you have specific questions as I don't check this too much. (you'd be surprised how little you visit SDN once you're in, especially compared to the time during apps).

Downstate is my first choice. I recently interviewed there and had my worst interview experience :( I don't know what to think but I hope to be there in the Fall. Anybody accepted care to share your interview experiences or even names of your interviewers? :scared:

So I might be going to Downstate this fall...I'm trying to decide between Downstate, Stony Brook, Drexel and RWJ. BUT the idea of living in Brooklyn Heights sounds amazing to me! Plus I think it would be great for me there since I am interested in emergency medicine. It's just the pricetag (compared to RWJ) and moving into a city (I'm from the suburbs of Chicago and I've been livin in Jersey for the past five years) that kind of scare me. Hopefully everything will work out though and I'll see you all in the fall

DrKitty said:
Downstate is my first choice. I recently interviewed there and had my worst interview experience :( I don't know what to think but I hope to be there in the Fall. Anybody accepted care to share your interview experiences or even names of your interviewers? :scared:

Hey DrKitty, I had an awful interview but was accepted, so don't worry too much. I will most likely be at downstate as well, adn living in Brooklyn heights. Hope to see you all soon!

allisonbk said:
Hey DrKitty, I had an awful interview but was accepted, so don't worry too much. I will most likely be at downstate as well, adn living in Brooklyn heights. Hope to see you all soon!

Thanks for your encouragement, allisonbk. I hope to see all of you in the Fall at Downstate :)

Has anyone done the shadow-a-student program yet? curious to know how it works. I think I may schedule mine now that the weather is getting nice :)

allisonbk said:
Has anyone done the shadow-a-student program yet? curious to know how it works. I think I may schedule mine now that the weather is getting nice :)
I'll definitely be there in the fall, just got in last week. I've never heard of this program, do you have a link to a website or anything? Thanks.

MAC12383 said:
I'll definitely be there in the fall, just got in last week. I've never heard of this program, do you have a link to a website or anything? Thanks.

actually, i got 2 emails regarding the program via email from the admissions office. you should be getting them also. basically, you can spend the day with a current dtate student. in order to set it up, you call or email ilana in the admissions office. you must give 2 weeks notice.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I just received my acceptance and I'm really excited. Never thought that I could get in, especially out of state. Anyways, I need to find housing off campus so i can gain residency. Can someone tell me where the most affordable area to live is that is near enough to school? And if those areas may be too sketchy to live. Are there good compromises between cost and location. Any help is appreciated. Hope to see y'all at the orientation.
Thanks

homeostatician said:
Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I just received my acceptance and I'm really excited. Never thought that I could get in, especially out of state. Anyways, I need to find housing off campus so i can gain residency. Can someone tell me where the most affordable area to live is that is near enough to school? And if those areas may be too sketchy to live. Are there good compromises between cost and location. Any help is appreciated. Hope to see y'all at the orientation.
Thanks

I recommend living in Park Slope. It is possible to find cheap apartments, and I know that a lot of Downstate students live there. It is also pretty close to the campus. It is certainly not the cheapest option, but I think it's a good compromise.

Hey Everyone,
I'm going to be visiting the school again next Friday, 24th. Unfortunately i had booked my flight and everything before i found out MS1s were having exams. on the plus side, i think i'll be going out with them after their exam in the city that night. Anyone interested in joining? Also for all you out of staters, when do you plan on moving out to NY?

wei28 said:
Hey Everyone,
I'm going to be visiting the school again next Friday, 24th. Unfortunately i had booked my flight and everything before i found out MS1s were having exams. on the plus side, i think i'll be going out with them after their exam in the city that night. Anyone interested in joining? Also for all you out of staters, when do you plan on moving out to NY?

Did you arrange going out with them with a friend of yours there, or did admissions set that up for you?

allisonbk said:
Did you arrange going out with them with a friend of yours there, or did admissions set that up for you?

well i'm actually going out there because it's a friend's birthday (non MD) and i figured i could do my shadow a student day on friday. i explained my circumstances to ilana, and she contacted a med student to set something up with me. when the ms1 called, she said since they have an exam, it'd be pointless for me to sit in on a class while they're testing so she offered to show me around after their test, and possibly go out to a bar that night, if it was ok with ilana. apparently ilana said that'd be ok, but i think this is bending the rules a bit, or defeating the purpose of the "second look." hopefully the ms1 can show me around after her exam. Did you set yours up yet?

wei28 said:
well i'm actually going out there because it's a friend's birthday (non MD) and i figured i could do my shadow a student day on friday. i explained my circumstances to ilana, and she contacted a med student to set something up with me. when the ms1 called, she said since they have an exam, it'd be pointless for me to sit in on a class while they're testing so she offered to show me around after their test, and possibly go out to a bar that night, if it was ok with ilana. apparently ilana said that'd be ok, but i think this is bending the rules a bit, or defeating the purpose of the "second look." hopefully the ms1 can show me around after her exam. Did you set yours up yet?

ahhh, i see. it should be fun to go out to nyc with the first years, but i know what you mean about it defeating the purpose of the second look. i have not set mine up yet- i think i may wait until april. the weather will be nice, and the campus will be looking its best :)

Any idea when I might get contacted about this shadow-a-student thing? I sent in my acceptance reply form on march 3rd. does it take time for them to process it and then once they have me in the system as a future student, they'll start sending me stuff? Or should I contact them about it?

Also, do they periodically send updates and information (mail or email) to students who accepted their offer, or will we not get anything besides what was in the acceptance packet?

I'm thinking that I wanna live on campus, at least for the first year, assuming I can get my own room. If I had to share a room with someone, I'd probably look into off campus housing. I've heard that living on campus sucks, does anyone know more about it? I know they have heat but no A/C, and I'm wondering how bad it gets during the hottest months. Any other info on their housing?

Thanks a lot

MAC12383 said:
Any idea when I might get contacted about this shadow-a-student thing? I sent in my acceptance reply form on march 3rd. does it take time for them to process it and then once they have me in the system as a future student, they'll start sending me stuff? Or should I contact them about it?

Also, do they periodically send updates and information (mail or email) to students who accepted their offer, or will we not get anything besides what was in the acceptance packet?

I'm thinking that I wanna live on campus, at least for the first year, assuming I can get my own room. If I had to share a room with someone, I'd probably look into off campus housing. I've heard that living on campus sucks, does anyone know more about it? I know they have heat but no A/C, and I'm wondering how bad it gets during the hottest months. Any other info on their housing?

Thanks a lot

You can contact Ilana in admissions about shadowing a student. In the meantime, you will get a big packet with info on housing, residency, health forms, etc... And they also told us to expect financial aid packets by the end of march,

Hey all - did anyone else get their financial aid awards the other day? Do you know if we send back the reply accepting the financial aid, does that actually get the ball rolling for taking out the loans? What if we aren't sure yet if we're going to Downstate? Do we still send back the acceptance form? I think I may have to call and ask...

wei28 said:
Hey Everyone,

i so would but its my boys bday celebration..but i'll be at boat, a bar in brooklyn..i thought most kids live in park slope, but kids live in b heights too? i want to buy and park slope is not cheap, but i also want to live in the coolest neighborhood with the most nightlife and the most downstate kids the closest to campus..im demanding huh..

Does anyone know where to find downstate's 2006 match list?

Sooo, who is definately going to downstate next year??? We should all get together in nyc at some point and get to know each other! PM me and i'd be happy to organize a gathering for a bunch of us.

Also, Im thinking that I will probably live on campus housing for the first year, just to be social etc....are there any guys out there that may be interested in rooming together??

My understanding is that housing is on a lottery system, so i figured that it may be good to choose a roomate to avoid getting stuck with someone that sleeps with his eyes open or sleep walks or something (bad experiences, dont ask)...

Hey guys, anyone else get their award letter? I'm not sure which which lender to choose for my stafford loans... how do we compare which is the best deal?

Hey Everyone, Yesterday I shadowed-a-student at Downstate! It was a really good day and I recommend it to anyone considering the school. I went to the morning lecture, a small group discussion and a PBL group. All were really interesting and everyone that I met was very laid back and nice.

I would love to hear other people's impressions of their shadow day- post here!

Hey.. I'll be at downstate next year (unless i get into temple). How do you do the shadow a student thing? There wasn't anything in the acceptance package about it..

i'm also thinking about roomin on campus, but I want to see the dorms before I commit to it. Can you see them during the shadow thingy?

neel

i just got my acceptance letter today!! i'm so happy because i really liked it when i visited.
can anyone tell me when their second look is and if they have one?

thanks so much!!

wendywellesley said:
i just got my acceptance letter today!! i'm so happy because i really liked it when i visited.
can anyone tell me when their second look is and if they have one?

thanks so much!!
I don't think they have one. or at least, I haven't heard anything about one. but they do have some kind of shadow-a-student thing that you can set up whenever you want. Are you definitely going to downstate?

MAC12383 said:
I don't think they have one. or at least, I haven't heard anything about one. but they do have some kind of shadow-a-student thing that you can set up whenever you want. Are you definitely going to downstate?

Anyone having any luck finding affordable yet safe housing in the area? I would like to live in Park slope or Brooklyn heights but its so expensive. Anyone have any thoughts about Prospect Heights and safety?

NYCplease said:
Anyone having any luck finding affordable yet safe housing in the area? I would like to live in Park slope or Brooklyn heights but its so expensive. Anyone have any thoughts about Prospect Heights and safety?

have you tried carrol gardens? if i end up going to downstate i'm going to look into living there. i'm not sure how accessable it is to campus though. it's a bit less expensive than park slope and just as nice (or so i think) i was there during the big snow storm and it was awsome!

Downstatedoc said:
Sooo, who is definately going to downstate next year??? We should all get together in nyc at some point and get to know each other! PM me and i'd be happy to organize a gathering for a bunch of us.

Also, Im thinking that I will probably live on campus housing for the first year, just to be social etc....are there any guys out there that may be interested in rooming together??

My understanding is that housing is on a lottery system, so i figured that it may be good to choose a roomate to avoid getting stuck with someone that sleeps with his eyes open or sleep walks or something (bad experiences, dont ask)...

is anyone still interested in getting together? i am, i'm living in nyc now. i think those of use who are in the area should get together for a drink or something. how 'bout it?

For those of you who are female and who for sure will be attending Downstate, does the area around the school bother you? I am still deciding where to go, and there were lots of aspects of Downstate that I did like, but the neighborhood worries me. Comments?

SalseraDoctora said:
For those of you who are female and who for sure will be attending Downstate, does the area around the school bother you? I am still deciding where to go, and there were lots of aspects of Downstate that I did like, but the neighborhood worries me. Comments?

i've talked to some people about this, as of now i have my heart set on going to downstate (yey!!).
i'm not too worried. i don't plan on living in east flatbush. hopefully lots of our classmates will live in park slope or some where along the 2 line. so we can always travel in groups. there is also a shuttle that takes you from campus to the subway station, i believe this is 24/7. i talked to someone who is graduating this year (a guy) who said that he never knew of anyone who was mugged or assaulted or anything like that. it seems as though the school takes measures to protect it's students in the area.
i'm also living in nyc now and i'm used to being in cities so i would say i have good street smarts. i think if you are vigilent, travel in groups, ect, you should be okay.

SalseraDoctora said:

Hey Salsera,
I'm from Cali, and knew nothing about brooklyn and little about Downstate before I interviewed and went for a second visit. After going, I'm totally in love with the brooklyn area, and plan to live in Park slope, which I found to be an awesome neighborhood- with cute restaurants, & eclectic shops . I felt safe everywhere I went, even wandering around the streets at 4 am (of course with friends) in NYC.
btw, if you decide to go to downstate, we should meet up. I'm assuming you're a salsa dancer, and I'm totally into that here in LA. Really stoked to get into the NY scence when I'm out there. good luck with your decision!

I am definitely a salsa addict, so if I end up at Downstate I will be delighted to be your salsa buddy :) Do you know how to dance on 2? I am still relatively sucky about that, but I am sure I will pick it up fast. I went to grad school in LA, and I love LA salsa (I live in the SF Bay Area now).

Anyway thanks for the feedback about the area. I am sure you are all right about traveling in groups and being vigilant. That is good advice. Hopefully I will get to meet everybody soon!

awesome! yea, i'm a total addict as well. i started learning on 2 a few months ago, it's totally fun, and pretty easy to pick up once you get into it. i went dancing in NY a few times at the clubs, but i heard the socials are where its at. let me know if you decide on Downstate or if you have any other questions.

Hey everyone,

Like many of you, I have been accepted to SUNY Downstate. Since I am a New York resident, Downstate will be a cheap option for me to go to school in terms of tuition. However, I don't really know too much about NYC. I am actually going to visit Downstate again tomorrow (04/27-04/28) for the shadow-a-student visit. I will be there for most of the day both Thursday and Friday. Can any of you suggest certain areas that I should check out (nightlife, housing options, etc.) while I am there. I have narrowed my options to 2 schools at this point and I am hoping that I can make a final decision on where I want to go soon. I will really apprecaite any advice that I can get. Thanks and congratulations to everyone who will be attending Downstate. By the way, if anyone else is going to be at Downstate tomorrow, please let me know.

-ishqbina.