SUNY Downstate-Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Everybody. I just started the apt hunt. I've been looking for places in Park Slope like many are already. I have another incoming Downstater with me in our search and we are looking for a third roomate. Is anyone interested?

See you all real soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Polinar1021 said:
Hi future fellow downstaters :)

My name is Polina and I just found out last week I will be going to Downstate!!!! Very excited and can't wait to start and meet new people. I guess i have to read through this whole thread to see what i have missed :) its been a long journey so im glad to finally be settled! I have lived in brooklyn almost my whole life so if anyone has any brooklyn related, driving, alternate side parking (The devil) ,apartments, location questions etc. feel free to let me know! What is everyone doing this summer before school starts?

:D -Polina
congrats polina

Members don't see this ad :)
wow there are 205 people in our class, I thought it'd be closer to 185. why the increase?

MAC12383 said:
wow there are 205 people in our class, I thought it'd be closer to 185. why the increase?

where did you read that?

wendywellesley said:
where did you read that?
In prime, if you go to the inbox where they sent us those emails, click on one of the two from student admissions. in the header, there's a link to "see who else has read this message." when you click it, it lists the class roster and shows the status of that message for each person. I think it's actually 204 because on one of them (with 205), "Affairs, Student" is listed as one of the students, and in the other there're 206 but there's Affairs, Student and Admissions, Student.

In the one that the student sent out, there are more like 208, but that was sent to the whole group, so I don't know if it includes any staff or faculty. But the student admissions emails seem like they were just sent to the students by student ID number.

MAC12383 said:
In prime, if you go to the inbox where they sent us those emails, click on one of the two from student admissions. in the header, there's a link to "see who else has read this message." when you click it, it lists the class roster and shows the status of that message for each person. I think it's actually 204 because on one of them (with 205), "Affairs, Student" is listed as one of the students, and in the other there're 206 but there's Affairs, Student and Admissions, Student.

In the one that the student sent out, there are more like 208, but that was sent to the whole group, so I don't know if it includes any staff or faculty. But the student admissions emails seem like they were just sent to the students by student ID number.

Maybe this is a normal number for June and by August, there's usually 184?
Hold lister here...

Apparition said:
Maybe this is a normal number for June and by August, there's usually 184?
Hold lister here...

Hey do you know what exactly being on hold means? Does it mean you could still be accepted or does it mean you will either be waitlisted or rejected?

SalseraDoctora said:
Hey do you know what exactly being on hold means? Does it mean you could still be accepted or does it mean you will either be waitlisted or rejected?
from what I've seen, it means any of the three can happen

SalseraDoctora said:

Today someone from hold received a mail package with alternate list. Since, there were no straight acceptances from hold that I've heard of, I think there's only waitlist and rejection :( .

Apparition said:
Today someone from hold received a mail package with alternate list. Since, there were no straight acceptances from hold that I've heard of, I think there's only waitlist and rejection :( .

I can confirm that from the letter I received about 3 weeks ago. It stated that they would make a decision on or before the end of June to either put me on the alternates list or reject me. Just to be sure, I called admissions and they told me the alternates list is being made at the end of June. This "hold" thing is agonizing. Let's just hope some seats open in the IVY's and we get into SUNY on the shuffle.

:luck:
GLTA
Bob

Does anyone know the e-mail address of Dr. Terracina and is it okay to e-mail her? Thanks!

Apparition said:
Does anyone know the e-mail address of Dr. Terracina and is it okay to e-mail her? Thanks!

if you want to email the admissions office i would email [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there different tiers of the alternate list? Does anybody know?

SalseraDoctora said:
Are there different tiers of the alternate list? Does anybody know?
I think there's a high priority list and a regular list.

I'm pretty sure I've heard of a few people being accepted straight from the hold list, but that was before may 15. at this point, it might only be for waitlist or rejection.

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows when we are getting orientation/registration information in the mail!! I thought they were supposed to have this sent to us already.

Thanks

kkd3 said:
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows when we are getting orientation/registration information in the mail!! I thought they were supposed to have this sent to us already.

Thanks

Theres a pdf posted in PRIME with some information on orientation. It says that a hard copy will be sent in the mail as well.

thePERMEDpremed said:
Hi Everyone, Congrats on your acceptances, I'll be joining you next year.

Anyone here from California?
Yarrr..I'm from Cali. And it's my first time posting here, but yes, I will be at SUNY-D next year.

By the way, has anyone gotten the White Coat Ceremony form yet? Cause I haven't...I called and the office said something about it wasn't sent out yet, but that was last week sometime.

sentrosi said:
Yarrr..I'm from Cali. And it's my first time posting here, but yes, I will be at SUNY-D next year.

By the way, has anyone gotten the White Coat Ceremony form yet? Cause I haven't...I called and the office said something about it wasn't sent out yet, but that was last week sometime.

nope, haven't recieved it yet.

man, i went on vacation for a week and when i got back i found out everyone met up again at some bar. haha, maybe next time...

hey guys,

I posted on PRIME about an apartment. If you are female and still looking for a place to live in park slope please PM me. I have a room in a three bedroom that is a really great deal for the area.

thanks!

Gaby

Another Downstate student and I (both males) have found a great apartment only a blocks from Downstate. It is on the second floor of a townhouse and is HUGE.

There are brand new appliances on the way, the kitchen was remodeled, as were the closets. New windows have been installed. Combination of hard wood floors, tile and carpeting. Carpeting is brand new.

The actual apartment is huge, and the bedrooms are alot bigger than you would expect or that you may have already seen. Rent will be under $600 a piece. There will be a remaining small room that can be used as a study or game room.

Here is a link that shows you exactly how close the place is. http://maps.google.com/?q=loc:+575 Midwood+St+Brooklyn+NY+US
The block is quiet and consists mainly of similar townhouses. There is a private elementary school nearby.

We are signing the lease very soon and need a third roomate. I have pictures if you want to see them.
If you are interested, please let me know at [email protected] as soon as possible. Thanks

Has anyone had a confirmation that the class is going to be 204 students? Anyone here off of the waitlist? Even rumors are welcome. Just any information.

Just curious. I'm on the "downstate" thread with all the waitlisters agonizing right now. :scared:

Good luck to you guys in the Fall. Hopefully, a couple of us will see you there.

We could check PRIME about the class size thing. Where did people hear about it anyway?

I think the Orientation leaders contact info was posted, someone could ask one of them maybe.

Make sure you visit and survey the apartment building and immediate area of any apartment in the immediate vicinity of Downstate prior to agreeing to sign a lease. East Flatbush is not the safest place to live. King's County has lead the nation 15 years straight in penetrating trauma (gun shots and stabbings). This year the crime rate is up over 30% in the neighborhood as well.

The dorms across the street on Lenox and New York are over priced, but safe and convenient. I would reccomend for many to stay there one year and then move off with new friends to areas you are knowledgable of. There are some nice areas to live 20 minutes from Downstate including Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Bay Ridge, etc.

Prior to attending Downstate, I had never heard gunshots before from my apartment window. Around Downstate I heard them frequently. For me, either the safety and peace of mind of the overpriced dorm, or the expense and inconvenience of living 20 minutes away in a safe neighborhood would be worth it. Some people rather save $300-400 a month though and live in the ghetto. Depends on the person.

sentrosi said:

You may have already gotten it by now but the White Coat form has been posted in the Forms folder on PRIME.

GrahamGreene said:
Make sure you visit and survey the apartment building and immediate area of any apartment in the immediate vicinity of Downstate prior to agreeing to sign a lease. East Flatbush is not the safest place to live. King's County has lead the nation 15 years straight in penetrating trauma (gun shots and stabbings). This year the crime rate is up over 30% in the neighborhood as well.

The dorms across the street on Lenox and New York are over priced, but safe and convenient. I would reccomend for many to stay there one year and then move off with new friends to areas you are knowledgable of. There are some nice areas to live 20 minutes from Downstate including Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Bay Ridge, etc.

Prior to attending Downstate, I had never heard gunshots before from my apartment window. Around Downstate I heard them frequently. For me, either the safety and peace of mind of the overpriced dorm, or the expense and inconvenience of living 20 minutes away in a safe neighborhood would be worth it. Some people rather save $300-400 a month though and live in the ghetto. Depends on the person.

GrahamGreene, I appreciate your subjective concern about the area and mean no disrespect. Since you have been there you have a feel about the area. Although I dont know about Kings County leading the nation in penetrating trama, what I do know is that crime has DECREASED in the area over the last several years. I dont know where you got the 30% figure from, but according to crime statistics posted on the 67th precinct's website, crime in East Flatbush has decreased overall 13% in the last year, 33% in the past five, and 73% in the past 12!

For objectivity's sake, please look here. Click on the 67th precincthttp://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pct/cspdf.html

Some areas of East Flatbush are no less ghetto than Prospect Heights where some people are looking. It is no Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights, but that is a given.

megamd2010 said:
GrahamGreene, I appreciate your subjective concern about the area and mean no disrespect. Since you have been there you have a feel about the area. Although I dont know about Kings County leading the nation in penetrating trama, what I do know is that crime has DECREASED in the area over the last several years. I dont know where you got the 30% figure from, but according to crime statistics posted on the 67th precinct's website, crime in East Flatbush has decreased overall 13% in the last year, 33% in the past five, and 73% in the past 12!

For objectivity's sake, please look here. Click on the 67th precincthttp://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pct/cspdf.html

Some areas of East Flatbush are no less ghetto than Prospect Heights where some people are looking. It is no Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights, but that is a given.

Point to note: the precinct that covers Downstate is the 71, not the 67 (the 67 is actually a pretty decent area in brooklyn)... regardless, the crime in NYC is dropping. (i'm a native of brooklyn, so I may be biased). I will be living at Downstate for the first year, bc i dont want to live at home.

Mooby said:
Has anyone had a confirmation that the class is going to be 204 students? Anyone here off of the waitlist? Even rumors are welcome. Just any information.

Just curious. I'm on the "downstate" thread with all the waitlisters agonizing right now. :scared:

Good luck to you guys in the Fall. Hopefully, a couple of us will see you there.

Hi,
I am a MS2 and I'm new to the forum. Although I have no idea what your class size is, I just wanted to let you know that in my class, there were people who got accepted from the hold list all summer long, up until the Tuesday before orientation started. So keep hoping!!

Hi,

2 bedrooms available in 3 bedroom apt. in Park Slope with a second year downstate student in the other room.

1 room available August 1st (or even tomorrow if necessary)
bed and mattress included with room.

other room available Sept 1st possibly sooner.

Apt was renovated 2 years ago, and it's on the 2nd floor of a brownstone. Access to lots of study-happy coffee shops, prospect park, and everything else in the slope.

Rent right now (until Sept 1st) is 810 a month, but it could increase slightly when the lease renews on Sept 1st.

If you want to see the apartment or have any questions, please call 631-948-6209.

risingMS2 said:
Hi,
I am a MS2 and I'm new to the forum. Although I have no idea what your class size is, I just wanted to let you know that in my class, there were people who got accepted from the hold list all summer long, up until the Tuesday before orientation started. So keep hoping!!
I was the one who originally posted about there being 204 students. Since then, the number seems to have dropped to around 185 as expected. Again, I got that from PRIME when clicking "who else has read this message."

risingMS2 said:
Hi,

Thanks RisingMS2 and MAC12383. We on the downstate waiting list thread appreciate your updates and encouragement.

185 looks about right according to the MSAR estimate. Things seem to be running uniquely late this year. One of the waitlist threaders has yet to get her application reviewed for placement on the waitlist.

Bump. Any new information?

Hey everyone,
I am a rising second year Downstate student, and I am hoping to move into a new apartment on August 15th. My lease ends on September 1st however, and I was wondering if any COM '10 students would be interested in housing for those interim two weeks. This might be a good option for people who are looking for an apartment, but have a very short time period in which to find one. They could crash in this place before a September 1st lease.

The rent would be $410 for two weeks. It is one bedroom in a three bedroom apartment. If you are really ambitious, you could even sign the lease for this apartment with two other students and stay the upcoming year. The apartment is in Park Slope on 6th Street between 6th and 7th avenue. It takes about 30 minutes to get to school from here. Give me a call if you are interested. 631-948-6209

-Nick