SUNY Downstate-Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys fyi,
regarding the white coat ceremony, i asked the adcom about it.
They said:
You will have a mandatory orientation/registration beginning Monday, August 14 which lasts for four days. You must attend each of the four days. On Thursday, August 15 you will have various meetings to attend in the morning. Your parents can also attend a parents and family session at 11 am. Thursday morning. You can meet your parents for lunch. The White Coat Ceremony is on Thursday at 1:30 pm. You have a three day weekend that you can spend with them and classes begin on Monday, August 21.

Members don't see this ad.

wei28 said:
Hey guys fyi,
regarding the white coat ceremony, i asked the adcom about it.
They said:
You will have a mandatory orientation/registration beginning Monday, August 14 which lasts for four days. You must attend each of the four days. On Thursday, August 15 you will have various meetings to attend in the morning. Your parents can also attend a parents and family session at 11 am. Thursday morning. You can meet your parents for lunch. The White Coat Ceremony is on Thursday at 1:30 pm. You have a three day weekend that you can spend with them and classes begin on Monday, August 21.

thanks so much wei! just to clarify, thursday is the 17th. so the ceremony is on thursday the 17th or tuesday the 15th?

thanks again!!

wendywellesley said:
thanks so much wei! just to clarify, thursday is the 17th. so the ceremony is on thursday the 17th or tuesday the 15th?

thanks again!!
hmm must be the 17th. they must have made a typo in the email.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like most people in this forum are pretty convinced that they are going to attend Downstate. I have been accepted to both Buffalo and Downstate and am up in the air with respect to which school to go to. Both schools have comparable board scores and residency matching, and both gave me that "feeling" of belonging.
I was hoping that someone here could give me some of the reasons they are going to attend Downstate aside from proximity to home. What convinced you that Downstate was the right school for you? Maybe some pros and cons of each school if you are familiar with Buffalo.
Hope to get some responses, show your Downstate pride! Thanks.

hi y'all! so i'm living on the border of park slope and prospect heights (8th avenue & union) and it's definitely a 10 min commute (if the train is running). i'm planning on staying in the area, although maybe crossing over into prospect heights officially -- where the price is righter (but still not cheap). i'm not really looking to move anywhere until august 1 when my lease ends. anybody else thinking of doing the same? i'd be happy to apartment hunt in the area.

i'm out of town this weekend too, but i hope we can all meet up later in the summer!

ps if you keep your eyes open you can definitely find apartments for 700-800/mo for 3 people in the slope, and my friends that living walking distance from grand army plaza in prospect heights pay even less. also, for those of you who are still thinking about what to do, i LOVE it here. it's a fantastic neighborhood.

wei28 said:
hmm must be the 17th. they must have made a typo in the email.

yeah, i emailed ilana. it's on thursday.

mro said:
Let's all meet up on SATURDAY, MAY 27th at BARCADE in Williamsburg at 8pm.

Subway: L train to Lorimer St (exit Union Ave exit)
G train to Metropolitian

Walk two blocks down on Union Ave ( you will be walking away from the Highway's overpass)

Or use www.hopstop.com to get subway/bus directions from anywhere in the city.

TIME: 8PM on Saturday, May 27 - Meet by the Frogger Game

Barcarde is a fun little place with house beers, pool table and old school arcade games. Would be a good way for us to get to know each other.

Post whether you will be attending so we know how many people to expect.

-Michael O'Brien, SUNY Downstate, Class of 2010
[email protected]

This is just a reminder, tomorrow night we're getting together at Barcade. Looks like we might have a decent turn-out, we've got at least one hard-core Downstater coming all the way up from D.C.! Looking forward to meeting you all.

If you have any questions call or email me:

Michael O'Brien
[email protected]
631-255-2601

hey guys, i haven't really be writing on this thread...but i'm def gonna try and come down to brooklyn to meet some of you...does anyone know how far it is a ride from grand central? or should i just mapquest and drive there (from westchester, like 45 min drive into manhattan)

looking forward

mro said:
This is just a reminder, tomorrow night we're getting together at Barcade. Looks like we might have a decent turn-out, we've got at least one hard-core Downstater coming all the way up from D.C.! Looking forward to meeting you all.

If you have any questions call or email me:

Michael O'Brien
[email protected]
631-255-2601

Downstatedoc said:
hey guys, i haven't really be writing on this thread...but i'm def gonna try and come down to brooklyn to meet some of you...does anyone know how far it is a ride from grand central? or should i just mapquest and drive there (from westchester, like 45 min drive into manhattan)

looking forward

From Grand Central, take the 4 or 5 downtown one stop to 14th St-Union Square. Transfer to L towards Brooklyn, 4 stops to Metropolitain/Lorimer. Probably 20 minutes or so.

You can probably find parking on the street around there too, but it might be tight since Williamsburg is a pretty popular area on the weekends.

Directions and other info can be found at : http://www.barcadebrooklyn.com/

It's on Union St, between Powers and Ainslie. The front entrance is covered in bottle caps and there is a little outdoor smoking area out front and I think a chalkboard sign that says "Barcade" on it.

wendywellesley said:
ooo... that's good to know! thanks! i've heard of clinton hills, didn't know it was on the 2. i'd like to live anywhere along the two to make my life easier.

hey im currently looking for a third roommate to share an apartment with me and another roommate i recently hooked up with.

we are looking in the park slope/prospect heights area but probably also clinton heights. anyone know of any other class of 10ers looking for a pace to live? we are planning on moving in July 1st or thereabouts. let me know!

Glad some of you could make it out last night to Barcade. It was cool to meeting you. Those of you you who couldn't make it, we'll probably try to do something again later in the summer. Keep an eye on this forum.

-Michael

Hey future downstaters,

I found a great apartment in park slope... short walk to the restaurants, two floors, cheap(~800 a month includes heat, gas and water), with a backyard, roof access with view of the manhattan skyline, 1.5 bathrooms per floor, jacuzzi tub in at least one bathroom... Only problem is.. the place is itoo big! It's got room for 5 people but the lease starts in July so most ppl in my class (COM 09) already found housing. I now have a group of 3 guys, so i figured i might try to get a couple of future first years.

we're looking for someone serious, no drama, preferably clean, responsible. If you are interested email me at [email protected].

PS Since I'm just finishing my first year, if y'all have any questions about anything feel free to ask. I'll check forums everyonce in a while i guess, but email will prob be faster.

oh dr dr said:
hi y'all! so i'm living on the border of park slope and prospect heights (8th avenue & union) and it's definitely a 10 min commute (if the train is running). i'm planning on staying in the area, although maybe crossing over into prospect heights officially -- where the price is righter (but still not cheap). i'm not really looking to move anywhere until august 1 when my lease ends. anybody else thinking of doing the same? i'd be happy to apartment hunt in the area.

i'm out of town this weekend too, but i hope we can all meet up later in the summer!

ps if you keep your eyes open you can definitely find apartments for 700-800/mo for 3 people in the slope, and my friends that living walking distance from grand army plaza in prospect heights pay even less. also, for those of you who are still thinking about what to do, i LOVE it here. it's a fantastic neighborhood.

hey, I'm also thinking about an Aug 1 move-in for park slope. However I'm in Los Angeles right now, so it's kind of hard for me to figure out how this move in should work. Since you're living in the area, do you have any suggestions on when I should be looking? Should I fly out there early July to secure a place, or more around mid july, or even just bring all my stuff, stay at a hotel and try to find a place on the spot?
Thanks!
Wei

Members don't see this ad :)
mro said:
Just wanted to let you all know, I sent an email to some people I know who are first years at Downsate now, so hopefully there will be some upperclassman mingling with us at Barcade as well next Saturday. We will try to do similar get-togethers later in the summer for those who aren't coming to the NYC area until later.

On a side note: any commuters out there planning to drive? If so, have you found a good garage to park at?

Hi all.
Looks like I'll be in Downstate as well. can't wait to meet you all.
I will be driving or taking the train. I am trying to figure out the parking situation as well. I know there is a garage for Downstate but there is a waitlist of about a year so no first years are in. Ilana said some people just come early and get parking a few blocks a way and then sit for an am coffee...
I am actually interested in creating a car pool with people. I own a car and wouldn't mind taking an extra 10min to pick up some people. I am sure we can figure out the cost issues and this way we can get good parking (in a private garage) and pay less.
FYI I live in Midwood for the past 7 years and I love it. It is generally a Jewish neighborhood, it is safe and clean. the commute is more than reasonable, if you drive it's 15 minutes. you can also take the Q to Parkside and transfer to the B12 (or 16 not sure) which is another 10 min all together 20 min. rent is also very reasonable. and the restaurants are GREAT

where exactly is midwood? any advice on finding an apt...? craigslist isn't taking me very far and i'm still unsure of the exact neighborhood to live in. :oops:

thespian said:
Hi all.
Looks like I'll be in Downstate as well. can't wait to meet you all.
I will be driving or taking the train. I am trying to figure out the parking situation as well. I know there is a garage for Downstate but there is a waitlist of about a year so no first years are in. Ilana said some people just come early and get parking a few blocks a way and then sit for an am coffee...
I am actually interested in creating a car pool with people. I own a car and wouldn't mind taking an extra 10min to pick up some people. I am sure we can figure out the cost issues and this way we can get good parking (in a private garage) and pay less.
FYI I live in Midwood for the past 7 years and I love it. It is generally a Jewish neighborhood, it is safe and clean. the commute is more than reasonable, if you drive it's 15 minutes. you can also take the Q to Parkside and transfer to the B12 (or 16 not sure) which is another 10 min all together 20 min. rent is also very reasonable. and the restaurants are GREAT

Actually I found a pretty good private parking garage a couple blocks away from medical center on Clarkson Ave heading west (towards prospect park). I met the woman who runs the place, she said they have plenty of spots open and there are medical students who park there. Unfortunately, I have misplaced the number, but there is a big sign right out front if you just go over there. The price was $140 a month, but it is only open from 7am-7pm. She said she is flexible with medical students around exam times, but you have to let her know. That's my plan for parking next year.

Midwood is south of SUNY Downstate if you take Coney Island Ave. It's also home to the best pizza place in New York (and by default the best in the world)... DiFara's.

wei28 said:
hey, I'm also thinking about an Aug 1 move-in for park slope. However I'm in Los Angeles right now, so it's kind of hard for me to figure out how this move in should work. Since you're living in the area, do you have any suggestions on when I should be looking? Should I fly out there early July to secure a place, or more around mid july, or even just bring all my stuff, stay at a hotel and try to find a place on the spot?
Thanks!
Wei

I second this question--can any of you who live in Brooklyn or the NY area give those of us moving out from CA some advice about finding housing please! How soon should we look? How long does it take to find a decent place? Thank you!

SalseraDoctora said:
I second this question--can any of you who live in Brooklyn or the NY area give those of us moving out from CA some advice about finding housing please! How soon should we look? How long does it take to find a decent place? Thank you!

i'm HOPING we will be getting our PRIME numbers soon so that we can log into the bulletin where people post about available housing in the area. I think looking for a place any time during the summer should be fine. I'll be seriously looking during mid to late june if i don't find anything before then (but i will be in brooklyn during that time). can you come out to brooklyn for a long weekend? i think that would be the best way to find a place. maybe find someone to live with who is here in new york so they can scope out places.
do you guys want to start our own listserv? so if we hear about anything we can email it around? that might be more effective than posting on SDN. you can PM me your email addresses and i can make a list. i'm trustworthy, i promise!

wendywellesley said:
i'm HOPING we will be getting our PRIME numbers soon so that we can log into the bulletin where people post about available housing in the area. I think looking for a place any time during the summer should be fine. I'll be seriously looking during mid to late june if i don't find anything before then (but i will be in brooklyn during that time). can you come out to brooklyn for a long weekend? i think that would be the best way to find a place. maybe find someone to live with who is here in new york so they can scope out places.
do you guys want to start our own listserv? so if we hear about anything we can email it around? that might be more effective than posting on SDN. you can PM me your email addresses and i can make a list. i'm trustworthy, i promise!

I tried to PM you but it says your mailbox is full!

Hope everyone had a good time last week, I would've come but I had surgery two days before. I'd definitely like to go sometime later if you guys wanna do it again.

Does anyone know when we'll hear from the housing office? I'm going to see what kind of room I get first and then decide if I want to live off campus. I think they said sometime in june but I'm not sure. Thanks

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that I got into Downstate yesterday!!! I'm really pumped and am looking forward to meeting you all.

I'm almost positive I'm going to be living in the dorms since I'm coming straight out of undergrad, anyone have any thghts on this? Also, are there any gyms close by that students join? The one in the student center wasn't all that great.

Feel free to send me a message or get in touch. I'm really excited and would love to hear from future classmates.

Thanks

kkd3 said:
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that I got into Downstate yesterday!!! I'm really pumped and am looking forward to meeting you all.

I'm almost positive I'm going to be living in the dorms since I'm coming straight out of undergrad, anyone have any thghts on this? Also, are there any gyms close by that students join? The one in the student center wasn't all that great.

Feel free to send me a message or get in touch. I'm really excited and would love to hear from future classmates.

Thanks

hey! congrats - i'm coming straight out of undergrad too, but am not at all enticed by the dorms.... they seem kind of crappy and are in east flatbush, which...well you know :)

i'm looking for an apt and a gym to join as well ... i guess we'll get a lot more info on all that once we get access to that PRIME website

Has anyone gotten any information in the mail like about orientation or anything besides the forms we have to fill out for our physical and things??

Hi Everyone, Congrats on your acceptances, I'll be joining you next year.

Anyone here from California?

SalseraDoctora said:
I tried to PM you but it says your mailbox is full!

sorry about that!!!

i cleaned out my inbox so you guys should PM me your email addresses and I'll make a listserv.

here is a link to the bus map that lists Midwood http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/busbkln.pdf
I guess it is bet ave I and kings highway and ocean ave and ocean prky at least that's the way I know it. as for finding apts. I would check the local newspapers like Jewish press, Bay news maybe the bigger ones as well. FYI i found my last two places using craigs list so try searching for Midwood. hope this helps. if you need more just PM and we'll talk.
snapshot said:
where exactly is midwood? any advice on finding an apt...? craigslist isn't taking me very far and i'm still unsure of the exact neighborhood to live in. :oops:

Hey, I went looking for housing this weekend in Park Slope. Possibly found something as long as I get approved. Right by the 2 train on 7th avenue! Anyways, I had to go with a realtor because it was close to impossible to find anything decent without one. So if anyone is looking to move into that area just PM me and I'll give you some of the better realtors that I worked with.

ok so a lot more people than I thought wants to know what I did with the realtor situation. Literally, I took 2 weekends and walked up and down 7th avenue going into every realty place and asking them what they had open! I don't know about the rest of you but I am looking to move July 1 and according to most of them I talked to usually about 3 weeks before is when things come out....although some of them did have things for August already. I tried Craigslist and actually ended up getting screwed by a realtor from there so be careful with that! Anyways, these were my top 3 realtors that I had been working with:

1. Berman Realty (they have things for August already and have some really nice things...this is actually where I got my apt from and mine actually had no fee since the Berman's actually own it) 718-638-8888. They are located on 7th avenue between Union and President.

2. Iven Walters from Townsley and Gay. 718-768-9696. He has a lot of good stuff including a large apt on 7th and 5th for only $1450. Located on 7th avenue south of Berman Realty.

3. A.D Shaye Realty 718-832-8800. They seemed trustworthy and worked with me on a couple of things although they didnt have what I was really looking for.

There are also some other ones that weren't two bad but these were the best in my mind. I would call them like a couple days before you will be there and set up an appointment to see what they have open at that time since things come and go very quickly! I just had my lease FedExed to me and I will be signing it tomorrow!! I'm excited!!! Good luck to all of you!

qt - did you end up getting a studio or a several bedroom apt to share? i think i'll go up there in july to find a place. thanks for your advice :)

ATTENTION SUNY DOWNSTATE COM 2010.....

This is a fellow Downstater finishing up the 1st year...yea BABY!!!

Anyway, I'm writing to let everyone know that you ALL will be invited to our END OF THE 1ST YEAR BASH on Thursday, June 8th. So, if you're in NYC, keep the date open and come and celebrate with us!!!!! More details coming very soon, check this forum and PRIME discussion board.

Much Love​

medready2005 said:

Anyway, I'm writing to let everyone know that you ALL will be invited to our END OF THE 1ST YEAR BASH on Thursday, June 8th. So, if you're in NYC, keep the date open and come and celebrate with us!!!!! More details coming very soon, check this forum and PRIME discussion board.

Much Love​

HI! I just started looking at this forum a day after you all last went out, so I'm excited to meet whomever can come tomorrow! If anyone is heading out on the LIRR passing through Valley Stream, maybe we can meet up at Penn Station and trek together. Email me!

Hope to see you soon!

medready2005 said:

Much Love​

can you post details? we can't access PRIME yet :(

COM09 End of the Year Jam!

Sapphire Lounge
249 Eldridge St
New York, NY 10002

http://www.sapphirenyc.com/

drink deals
$3= PBR
$4= bud, bud light, rolling rock
$5= corona, becks
$5= well drinks
$6= apple martinis

no cover all night (mention downstate or med school party @ the door)
door open at 10pm
DJ playing hiphop,80s,house,latin,top40

See you there!!!!​
:) :)

HEY ALL WE'RE DOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEE

any Qs about tonight call Cesar (that's me) at 917-232-0433

see you 2night

wei28 said:
Thanks!
Wei

hey! i have successfully found good apartments on craigslist and through realtors, and in my experience places start opening up 1mo to 3 weeks ahead of time. so if you're looking for august 1 move-in, then i would maybe arrange to come visit in the first week of july if you're up for working with a realtor. if you're really set on avoiding that (and dishing out the extra month's rent) then i would watch craigslist starting in a few weeks and then fly out (if you can afford it) to visit a few places in a row. many of my friends have done the fly to nyc the week before classes and crash in a hotel or w/ friends and find housing thing, and it's worked for them, but i think it's a bit riskier when you're looking in nicer areas (aka park slope) -- although finding roomshares on short notice is definitely doable, although perhaps a bit risky.

also you can find a roommate in nyc and let them do the apartment hunting, which requires a bit of trust and all that. if you're interested in roommates, i am definitely hoping to move in w/ several people to keep rent down (and eagerly awaiting this message board that's supposed to be coming), so let me know. i'll be starting my own apartment searches in a few weeks.

wendywellesley said:
i'll be moving into the dorms on the 12th for this program they offer minority students. i'll post about it and let you know what it's like.
but hopefully i'll be moving into an apartment once school really starts.

as far as joining a gym- i joined New York Sports Club when i moved into manhattan in december and got the membership which allows me to workout at any of their gyms (it was discounted because of where i worked). there is one in park slope close to the F train but pretty far from the 2. There is a NYSC in brooklyn hights as well that is really close to the 2 train. there is also a Crunch gym in park slope (north slope) that is close to the Grand Army 2 stop. you can check out their website to see a map of the area. those are the only gyms i know if in the park slope area (after doing a google search), but i'm sure there are smaller gyms in the neighborhood.

orientation- i haven't recieved anything yet, just the information from our acceptance letter.

guys, PM your email addresses!!

i'm at the slope, which is on union and 7th (v close to the 2/3 at grand army). it's cute and small but well-stocked. i like it a lot better than crunch, which is huge and sprawling and kind of scary. eli the gym assistant/personal trainer is the ****!

so apartment hunting in NYC is almost as fun as sticking something sharp slowly into your leg...

almost.

well, this is my second day looking around brooklyn and craigslist is UP and down...

If anyone is interested, I looked at an apartment right behind Downstate Dorms...for 1300. It is a tiny 2 BR but a nice building. I am not going to take it since my roomate is commuting to Manhattan.

I went through Rapid Realty (which is mostly no fee realtors) and they found me an amazing brownstone in Sunset Park. The area is close to Park Slope and is growing quickly. Unfortunately though, its like a 50 minute commute to Downstate via subway so I may Bus it or bike it straight over.

If any of you are looking for realtors that don't charge, message me. I know a few good ones with their cell numbers.

snapshot said:
qt - did you end up getting a studio or a several bedroom apt to share? i think i'll go up there in july to find a place. thanks for your advice :)

I actually got a one bedroom since I live with my boyfriend. Its in a really nice brownstone on 6th avenue...I'll be moving in in a couple of weeks....cant wait! Good luck to everyone else lookin for apts!

hey, I still have to choose a lender for my loans. Of the ones that downstate recommends, which did you guys choose and which do you think is the best? I really don't know/understand much about all this stuff so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

MAC12383 said:
hey, I still have to choose a lender for my loans. Of the ones that downstate recommends, which did you guys choose and which do you think is the best? I really don't know/understand much about all this stuff so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

hey, i was also wondering the same thing, and called the fin aid office to find more info. the guy basically said, they're all equally good, in the end your savings between each one will be a difference of like $1000 in regards to the incentives. to me, what is an extra 1000 bucks when i'm goign to be 250k in the red. anyways, i chose citibank, because i bank with them, and navigating through their sites seemed a lot easier to use (and of course you want to have $0 origination fee, and some interest point deductions, which they offer). there were some other website i researched the loans, comparing how much you save, which i'm sure you could google (i cant' remember the sites).

thanks...I looked at the sites and I think I'm gonna go with T.H.E. my friend at columbia said they told him that's the best one, and their site has a good calculator that shows how much you'd be paying with them and with competitors.

wendywellesley said:
can you post details? we can't access PRIME yet :(

hey wendywellesley,

I just got accepted at Downstate. I know that our school gym is pretty sh***y...where is the NYSC gym located...anywhere close the #2 train? and if you don't mind my asking how much are u paying/month and do we get a student discount?

thx.

:)

benfolds21 said:
so apartment hunting in NYC is almost as fun as sticking something sharp slowly into your leg...

almost.

well, this is my second day looking around brooklyn and craigslist is UP and down...

If anyone is interested, I looked at an apartment right behind Downstate Dorms...for 1300. It is a tiny 2 BR but a nice building. I am not going to take it since my roomate is commuting to Manhattan.

I went through Rapid Realty (which is mostly no fee realtors) and they found me an amazing brownstone in Sunset Park. The area is close to Park Slope and is growing quickly. Unfortunately though, its like a 50 minute commute to Downstate via subway so I may Bus it or bike it straight over.

If any of you are looking for realtors that don't charge, message me. I know a few good ones with their cell numbers.

How long ago did you see this 2br behind Downstate? I am from CT and also looking for an apartment. If wei28 is interested maybe we could room here togther. Please give me the contact for that apartment and also the number for those realtors that you like.

So I was reading my acceptance letter and I realized that I need to get my health forms in by July 1st, 2006. Umm, what health forms??? I don't have any.

Does anyone know about this?

Oh, and about realtors, etc, email me at [email protected]. I will tell you personally.

benfolds21 said:
So I was reading my acceptance letter and I realized that I need to get my health forms in by July 1st, 2006. Umm, what health forms??? I don't have any.

Does anyone know about this?

Oh, and about realtors, etc, email me at [email protected]. I will tell you personally.

they came in our acceptance packet!

hmm...i am in the MD/PhD program and i never got an acceptance packet.

The disorganization of downstate is really starting to get under my skin... :confused:

Hi future fellow downstaters :)

My name is Polina and I just found out last week I will be going to Downstate!!!! Very excited and can't wait to start and meet new people. I guess i have to read through this whole thread to see what i have missed :) its been a long journey so im glad to finally be settled! I have lived in brooklyn almost my whole life so if anyone has any brooklyn related, driving, alternate side parking (The devil) ,apartments, location questions etc. feel free to let me know! What is everyone doing this summer before school starts?

:D -Polina

Congratulations! That is so great! I have a question: where is a good place to live nearby school that is in a safe neighborhood but with a short commute? I am from CA so I don't know the area at all. Thanks!