SUNY Downstate-Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmmm is it wrong to choose a med school based on its having the best salsa scene? :D

Members don't see this ad.

SalseraDoctora said:
Hmmm is it wrong to choose a med school based on its having the best salsa scene? :D
hehe. actually i told the adcom that's why i had to be in NYC. but seriously, i figured the first 2 years are pretty much going to be the same anywhere, and i'm not too worried about 3rd and 4th year in terms of ds providing solid clinical training, so for me, so it really comes down to location. where am i going to be the happiest? salsa in nyc... you should come! we'll have a blast.

Well tonight I find out about another school, and if I am not admitted then SUNY is my next choice. Cross your fingers for me :luck: The truth is I would be happy either place.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry double post ... stupid internet is acting weird

Did anyone pick downstate over NYMC or temple?? I'm having a really hard time trying to decide... When I interviewed and was accepted downstate was my top choice but im starting to second guess my self ... I interviewed with a ER doc at downstate and didn't really get a feel for relations between faculty and students. Does any one who is going to downstate have any input? Also on the opportunity for research? :scared:

LowlyPremed said:
Does the faculty seem supportive at Downstate?

i went to shadow-a-student yesturday and yeah, students seemed to think that the faculty was supportive. they all gave out their email addresses and they all post their lectures on the web and all that. for the most part the students were happy with the professors.

does anyone know when we get our PRIME pin?

(testing out my new sig :D )

I am still trying to decide between Downstate and Albert Einstein! I go back and forth every day!! Does anyone have any opinions??

NYCplease said:
Anyone having any luck finding affordable yet safe housing in the area? I would like to live in Park slope or Brooklyn heights but its so expensive. Anyone have any thoughts about Prospect Heights and safety?

If I end up going to Downstate, I would like to live in Park Slope. It has the easiest metro access to campus. Is it still expensive to live in Park Slope even with apartment-mates? I am looking at maybe 500-800 dollars per person. If three of us live together, that would be monthly rent of 1500-2400. Isn't that doable??

shaholin said:
Did anyone pick downstate over NYMC or temple?? I'm having a really hard time trying to decide... When I interviewed and was accepted downstate was my top choice but im starting to second guess my self ... I interviewed with a ER doc at downstate and didn't really get a feel for relations between faculty and students. Does any one who is going to downstate have any input? Also on the opportunity for research? :scared:

As I said in a previous post, I am also trying to choose between Downstate and another school. There seems to be research opportunities at Downstate, but compared to EInstein (and I don't know about Temple) the school has less money, so I bet the projects are limited?? Not many people who want to do research go to Downstate, I think. Most people go for the unbeatable clinical experience there. But if you want to do research, it is available.

wendywellesley said:
i went to shadow-a-student yesturday and yeah, students seemed to think that the faculty was supportive. they all gave out their email addresses and they all post their lectures on the web and all that. for the most part the students were happy with the professors.

wendywellesley, does Downstate have some kind of an advisory system in pre-clinical years? If so, what kind?

DrKitty said:
wendywellesley, does Downstate have some kind of an advisory system in pre-clinical years? If so, what kind?

they do. the alumi association sets you up with an advisor who you meet with every few months.
i didn't get the sense that their advisory system is as extensive as it is at some private schools i've visited but it's still there. but it's not the kind of school that will hold your hand (like, they won't email you if you get a bad grade on an exam which was something some schools do).

Members don't see this ad :)
wendywellesley said:
they do. the alumi association sets you up with an advisor who you meet with every few months.
i didn't get the sense that their advisory system is as extensive as it is at some private schools i've visited but it's still there. but it's not the kind of school that will hold your hand (like, they won't email you if you get a bad grade on an exam which was something some schools do).

Thanks for the info. Seems that Downstate doesn't "feed you from the spoon" but I suppose it trains independent, ready to overcome challenges, physicians :)

DrKitty said:
Thanks for the info. Seems that Downstate doesn't "feed you from the spoon" but I suppose it trains independent, ready to overcome challenges, physicians :)

i hope so!! good luck kitty :) keep us posted when you find out.

I also definitely got the zero-hand-holding vibe when I interviewed. But I also had the impression that if you seek out help or advice it is there.

inocchi said:
If I end up going to Downstate, I would like to live in Park Slope. It has the easiest metro access to campus. Is it still expensive to live in Park Slope even with apartment-mates? I am looking at maybe 500-800 dollars per person. If three of us live together, that would be monthly rent of 1500-2400. Isn't that doable??

On the housing topic, is there any database at SUNY for med students looking for roommates? Should we start one right here? I have friends in NY, but I think I'd like to live with med students who have a similar schedule.

And I think Park Slope really is expensive, even with roommates. I've been looking on Craig's List, and the only 3 brs in the 2500/mo range are in South Slope, which makes it harder to get to school. Prospect Heights looks pretty good - same funky feel, a lot cheaper and directly on the 2 line.

inocchi said:

NO WAY!!! i'm born and raised in park slope. good luck finding anything half-way decent for $500...if you're living w/ 3 ppl $800 could be feasible. prices also may tend to be higher in the areas closer to the 2 train....though there are always random deals. decided not to go to downstate but couldn't resist posting on ol' park slope. best of luck to all of you!

Kensington may also be a good area to check out. Apartments can be half the price of Park Slope. While not as trendy as the slope, most of it is nice and safe. It's also much closer to the school than Park Slope. A 5-10 minute bus ride (on a very busy bus line, the B-35) puts you right at the school.

Hey guys, I'm looking for 1-2 roommates to live with. I'd like to live off-campus, probably in Park Slope. PM if you're interested in looking for an apartment together.

I'm a girl btw.

It's offical, I'll be at downstate next year .. the shadow a student thingy was awesome ..

hi! glad i found this thread :)

i'm also looking for housing...park slope? brooklyn heights? roommates? no roommates? how do we do this...?

ilana levine said there would be a website for people to talk, for current students to answer questions, post housing, etc. etc. - does anyone know anything about this?

i'm excited :) never thought i'd end up picking ds but i love it now

My friend and I are also looking for roomates. i shall be attending downstate and she is going to be working in the city. We are both 23 and very easy to live with. Looking for only about one or two other roomates. Its going to be Co-ed though since I am a guy but I had two older sisters so I am very accustomed to that living situation.

Anyways, if anyone wants to talk about possibly rooming together, email me telling me about yourself [email protected]

We are looking to move about mid-July.

snapshot said:
hi! glad i found this thread :)

i'm also looking for housing...park slope? brooklyn heights? roommates? no roommates? how do we do this...?

ilana levine said there would be a website for people to talk, for current students to answer questions, post housing, etc. etc. - does anyone know anything about this?

i'm excited :) never thought i'd end up picking ds but i love it now

(i thought it was really cute how you called her ilana cohen but then changed it :) )

yeah, it's the university's system called PRIME, i'm surprised we haven't recieved our pins yet. there should be a bulliten on that system concerning apartment openings and the like.

i'm also interested in looking for roomies. i'm 24 and i live in manhattan now.
i think all of us who are in the new york area should get together sometime. anyone up for it? there was a post on this thread about meeting up but i don't think that ever happened.
also, is anyone going to "operation sucess"? the six week program in the summer? does anyone know anything about that?

wendywellesley said:
(i thought it was really cute how you called her ilana cohen but then changed it :) )

yeah, it's the university's system called PRIME, i'm surprised we haven't recieved our pins yet. there should be a bulliten on that system concerning apartment openings and the like.

i think all of us who are in the new york area should get together sometime. anyone up for it? there was a post on this thread about meeting up but i don't think that ever happened.
also, is anyone going to "operation sucess"? the six week program in the summer? does anyone know anything about that?

LOL! yes, ilana cohen is a woman whose kids i babysat for 6 yrs. i actually made the same mistake when emailing ilana levine once... she corrected me :) pretty embarassing... :laugh:

what's operation success? i feel so out of the loop on ds stuff! where's all this info from? :oops:

snapshot said:
LOL! yes, ilana cohen is a woman whose kids i babysat for 6 yrs. i actually made the same mistake when emailing ilana levine once... she corrected me :) pretty embarassing... :laugh:

what's operation success? i feel so out of the loop on ds stuff! where's all this info from? :oops:

operations success is this six week program they offer, perhaps it's only for minority students. it looks like they do some gross anatomy, biochem and time manegment courses, it's not for credit and i don't think there are any exams. they put you up for the whole time and it's free. i don't think it's really worth spending six weeks of your summer to do it though but i would like to find out more about it.

i found out about prime when i went to shadow a student.

wendywellesley said:

Let's all meet up on SATURDAY, MAY 27th at BARCADE in Williamsburg at 8pm.

Subway: L train to Lorimer St (exit Union Ave exit)
G train to Metropolitian

Walk two blocks down on Union Ave ( you will be walking away from the Highway's overpass)

Or use www.hopstop.com to get subway/bus directions from anywhere in the city.

TIME: 8PM on Saturday, May 27 - Meet by the Frogger Game

Barcarde is a fun little place with house beers, pool table and old school arcade games. Would be a good way for us to get to know each other.

Post whether you will be attending so we know how many people to expect.

-Michael O'Brien, SUNY Downstate, Class of 2010
[email protected]

Hey all,

Here are my issues with housing at Downstate...any advice would be appreciated...I am about 90% sure I will be at Downstate this fall. There are only two wait-lists that I would accept offers from and the odds of me getting into these schools are slim to none...with that said...

I think I want to live off campus, but I'm maybe still toying with the idea of living at Downstate for the first year. (Pros: get to know other students well, close to class, still close to Park Slope and other good hang out spots).
The cons being that the dorms look a bit shady and the area around the school is not the most glamorous.

If I do decide to live off campus, when would be a good time to start looking for roommates? What if I pick people to live with and then they get off wait-lists and go someplace else? Also, I won't be in N.Y. for the whole month of July and I'd probably want to move in to a place in early August, so I feel like I'm already running out of time. Lastly, how do I find out where are good places to live, good companies to rent from, and good prices to pay?

A final thought... might it be better to live on campus for a year, keep life as simple as possible, make friends and then move off campus when I have a better idea of where I want to live and with who?

I'm just scared that the people who choose to live in the dorms are going to be the type of people who don't go out that much...I feel like the more outgoing people are more likely to choose living off campus...any truth to this paranoid fear of mine?

mro said:

G train to Metropolitian

Walk two blocks down on Union Ave ( you will be walking away from the Highway's overpass)

Barcarde is a fun little place with house beers, pool table and old school arcade games. Would be a good way for us to get to know each other.

[email protected]

GREAT suggestion!! i've been wanting to go to barcard!!! i'm there. everyone should come!! should we make an anoucement on pre-allo?

ILuvTodd said:
Hey all,

Here are my issues with housing at Downstate...any advice would be appreciated...I am about 90% sure I will be at Downstate this fall. There are only two wait-lists that I would accept offers from and the odds of me getting into these schools are slim to none...with that said...

Yeah, I'm kind of going through the same decision. But, I'm leaning more towards living on campus just because of the convience and such. Once I get to know the area better and students and such, I'm DEFINITELY moving offcampus... and why do you think kids living on campus wont be going out??

ahah also, how bout we meet up sometime in july .. seeing as I dont graduate till freakin june 18th .. stupid quarter system .. jk.. have fun..

shaholin said:
ahah also, how bout we meet up sometime in july .. seeing as I dont graduate till freakin june 18th .. stupid quarter system .. jk.. have fun..
yeah i'd like to go too but can't make it may 27th, later on in the summer would be better. hopefully there'll be more than one of these. have a beer for me

I am also definately going to downstate, I think I am going to be commuting from long island though... we'll see how it goes.

I have a friend that is a ms2, he started out living in the dorm first year and then moved out to pslope at christmas.... something to think about if you want to get to know people before picking a roommate.

Anyone have anymore info about the operation success thing? I have been out of school for a couple of years and could probably use a brush-up. :scared:

tcar18 said:
I am also definately going to downstate, I think I am going to be commuting from long island though... we'll see how it goes.
ouch, that's rough. I had to make that trip when I drove in for my interview...not somethin I'd wanna do every day. there's no way you can live in brooklyn?

MAC12383 said:
ouch, that's rough. I had to make that trip when I drove in for my interview...not somethin I'd wanna do every day. there's no way you can live in brooklyn?

yeah i'm also from long island but i didn't even consider commuting...i figure it would be a waste of time.

i really wish they would make it easier for us to meet people ahead of time...put togther an email listserv maybe (a couple of other schools that i was accepted to did that..and i think it's really hepful for people finding roommates, etc.).

Ok I am also officially going to Downstate (depending on one waitlist that I don't have much chance at). Can't meet up the 27th but hopefully some other time!

lotus84 said:
yeah i'm also from long island but i didn't even consider commuting...i figure it would be a waste of time.

i really wish they would make it easier for us to meet people ahead of time...put togther an email listserv maybe (a couple of other schools that i was accepted to did that..and i think it's really hepful for people finding roommates, etc.).

I am a bit concerned about it but have heard good and bad:
Good-
Save money
Food
Family
Nice Place

Bad-
Commute.

The commute breaks down to about 50 min, i live next to the train, and the commute from park slope is about 20 (in my estimation). So for an extra 30 min, i save about 10k.

if it doesnt work I'll be in brooklyn by christmas....

Hey Everyone,

Congratulations on deciding to go to Downstate. I grew up in the neighborhood surrounding downstate -- actually 13 blocks away. I keep reading that Downstate is close to Park Slope. A Brooklyn native here and I would say -- not so much. Park Slope is at least a 50 min bus (B35 to B41) ride away and there are some nice neighborhoods that you could live cheaply and not so far away from Downstate. I guess I understand those of you who have never been to that neighborhood before, but I was just thinking it's a bit sad that you don't feel safe there. :( I guess times have changed.

GraC_undr_PrsR said:
Hey Everyone,

Congratulations on deciding to go to Downstate. I grew up in the neighborhood surrounding downstate -- actually 13 blocks away. I keep reading that Downstate is close to Park Slope. A Brooklyn native here and I would say -- not so much. Park Slope is at least a 50 min bus (B35 to B41) ride away and there are some nice neighborhoods that you could live cheaply and not so far away from Downstate. I guess I understand those of you who have never been to that neighborhood before, but I was just thinking it's a bit sad that you don't feel safe there. :( I guess times have changed.

grand army plaza is 5 stops away from winthrop street station stop (about a 10 minute train ride). i want to live a few blocks away from grand army plaza, although, as i learned this weekend, that's not technically park slope, it's pretty damn close.

wendywellesley said:
grand army plaza is 5 stops away from winthrop street station stop (about a 10 minute train ride). i want to live a few blocks away from grand army plaza, although, as i learned this weekend, that's not technically park slope, it's pretty damn close.
<p>
Hey -- That area is called Cadman Plaza (East and West). A few blocks away: Prospect Heights. And 5 train stops is not 10 min in NYC -- It's more like 20 or 30 min. It might be faster to take and express train, however the 2 train is the only one that stops at Grand Army Plaza. (So, I'm assuming you're moving to Prospect Heights, which is a great neighborhood, Wendy.
<p>
Another great area is called Clinton Hills -- it's got great restaurants and a little town feel in Brooklyn. My cousin owns a Brownstone over there. The rent is pretty steep, however it's close to the 2 train (1 stop down from Grand Army) but look into sublets and sharing! (There is also this AWESOME Spanish restaurant that I am missing here in England). Sigh.

mro said:

G train to Metropolitian

[email protected]

I wish I could make it! Anyone else going to the Pearl Jam shows in Philly that weekend ? We could have a little gathering there, too. :D

I'm putting in for the lottery for on-campus housing just to see how it goes, but I'm definitely looking for a place off-campus in the meantime.

tcar18 said:
I am a bit concerned about it but have heard good and bad:
Good-
Save money
Food
Family
Nice Place

Bad-
Commute.

The commute breaks down to about 50 min, i live next to the train, and the commute from park slope is about 20 (in my estimation). So for an extra 30 min, i save about 10k.

if it doesnt work I'll be in brooklyn by christmas....

50 minutes from Long Island ? Would you be taking the LIRR ?

I'm from Queens but didn't even consider living at home. Too many transfers involved. 50 minutes isn't too bad though.

GraC_undr_PrsR said:
<p>

Another great area is called Clinton Hills -- it's got great restaurants and a little town feel in Brooklyn. My cousin owns a Brownstone over there. The rent is pretty steep, however it's close to the 2 train (1 stop down from Grand Army) but look into sublets and sharing! (There is also this AWESOME Spanish restaurant that I am missing here in England). Sigh.

ooo... that's good to know! thanks! i've heard of clinton hills, didn't know it was on the 2. i'd like to live anywhere along the two to make my life easier.

mro said:

G train to Metropolitian

[email protected]

Just wanted to let you all know, I sent an email to some people I know who are first years at Downsate now, so hopefully there will be some upperclassman mingling with us at Barcade as well next Saturday. We will try to do similar get-togethers later in the summer for those who aren't coming to the NYC area until later.

On a side note: any commuters out there planning to drive? If so, have you found a good garage to park at?

just wanted to say hi to you all. look forward to meeting you all :D at barcade.

mro said:

G train to Metropolitian

[email protected]

styx

yes lirr. I live about close the train (10 min walk 40sec drive) that takes me to jamaica (25 min), then jamaica to flatbush (15 or so), and the 2 comes right into the flatbush station so it is a quick change and then on two downstate.

I imagine in the beginning it will take me about an hour but I am confident that I can get that down abit once i know the route.

I like to work on the train (have commuted 1.45 hrs each way to work for the last year) and a 745 train isn't to bad to start class by 9

I don't think I would go for it if i didn't live so close to the train.

limbo said:
just wanted to say hi to you all. look forward to meeting you all :D at barcade.

yey! looking forward to hanging out with you guys and meet some current first years!!

I know I have posted before about roomates. I am still looking for one more person to live with my friend and I. Here is a potential place we are looking at right now...where rent will equal out to about 750 a month including utilities.

Email me at [email protected]

Thanks guys!!

Great share offering total privacy for each person.
3-family building, Gas & electric included, beautiful hardwood floors, huge living room and/or common space, 3 huge bedrooms each w/closet, lots of kitchen counter space, storage space available in basement, spacious new backyard ideal for barbeque and/or gardening (green thumb a plus), steps to Brooklyn Museum, Botanical Gardens, Prospect Park, Prospect Park Wildlife Center, Brooklyn Public Library and Grand Army Plaza.
Take D/Q train to Park Slope.

$2,250 month
Require 1 month rent and 1 month security.

mro said:

G train to Metropolitian

[email protected]

I'll be there. I live in DC but I'd love to meet all of you and potentially find someone who wants to share an apartment in Prospect Heights, so I'm going to make the trip up to New York for the weekend.

Hey everyone,

Glad to see our class is getting together- I'd love to make it but will be in Montreal for the weekend. Hopefully we can figure something out later in the summer.

I'm also thinking about living near the Grand Army Plaza Station (that little triangular area NW of Prospect Park looks ideal, but I'm sure it's not cheap), but I have a question for any of you. A friend from college and I have been talking about living together, but now I'm starting to get worried that living with a non-med student might be a bad idea. On top of the fact that I'm probably never going to be around, I think it might be nice to live with somehow who would be studying when I'm studying (ie force me to study when I know I should be studying but don't want to). Am I thinking about this too much? Clearly I need to figure this out on my own, but I'd like to hear what everyone thinks...

Also, has anyone gotten much info from Downstate? I can't say I've heard much from them in the past couple months.. I don't even know when classes start, which I should probably figure out.

Thanks, and look forward to meeting you all!

Cash

Cashicus said:
Hey everyone,

Glad to see our class is getting together- I'd love to make it but will be in Montreal for the weekend. Hopefully we can figure something out later in the summer.

I'm also thinking about living near the Grand Army Plaza Station (that little triangular area NW of Prospect Park looks ideal, but I'm sure it's not cheap), but I have a question for any of you. A friend from college and I have been talking about living together, but now I'm starting to get worried that living with a non-med student might be a bad idea. On top of the fact that I'm probably never going to be around, I think it might be nice to live with somehow who would be studying when I'm studying (ie force me to study when I know I should be studying but don't want to). Am I thinking about this too much? Clearly I need to figure this out on my own, but I'd like to hear what everyone thinks...

Also, has anyone gotten much info from Downstate? I can't say I've heard much from them in the past couple months.. I don't even know when classes start, which I should probably figure out.

Thanks, and look forward to meeting you all!

Cash

hey cash,

i have the same concerns about living with non-med students. a friend of mine from high school suggested we live together in brooklyn and i was really oppsed to it. i think it would be more fun to live with a classmate for the reasons you said. i couldn't imagine living with a non-med student as a matter of fact. i don't want to hear "you're studying AGAIN!", "you study way too much" or "all you DO is study!". uck.

i haven't heard much from them either and i REALLY want my PRIME pin number!! i know orientation starts on aug 14th (that was in our acceptance letter), it goes for a week and i think classes start the following monday. i don't know when the white coat ceremony is, that would be a useful piece of information.