Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate Interview Q's and Essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LostOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've received an email for interview with Downstate in 2 days. Can anyone give me insight on the questions they may ask me for the interview as well as what I may need to write an essay on? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

For OT? That's a first, they usually don't do interviews until February it seems. I hope your interview went well and you don't have to wait too long!

Just had it today. I believe it went well. I was interviewed by the Chair of the Department and I am the first interviewee of this cycle :p I can't recall my questions because they were very specific... and nothing generic for what I prepped for. Like no 'tell me about yourself' or even 'what are your strengths and weaknesses'. They were very based on my experiences and application, and even my transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's how my stony brook one was, very clinical. From my experience most of them are like that. You must have really good stats. Congrats.

I had my interview on Jan 4th and I think it went well! I met with Dr. Elenko in her office for the interview. She pretty much had a set sheet of questions to ask and wrote down my answers.

Some of the questions I remember:

Why OT and not Speech?
Where did you observe? Which did you like the most/least and why?
How do you handle stress?
What are your study habits like?
Describe a stressful situation and how you handled it.

There was also an on-site written portion where they give you an article and tell you to summarize it and answer a few questions. I think I did well in the interview, but didn't feel so great about the written portion because we had already been talking for almost an hour at that point, so I was mentally tired by the time I got to the article.

I had my interview on Jan 4th and I think it went well! I met with Dr. Elenko in her office for the interview. She pretty much had a set sheet of questions to ask and wrote down my answers.

Some of the questions I remember:

Why OT and not Speech?
Where did you observe? Which did you like the most/least and why?
How do you handle stress?
What are your study habits like?
Describe a stressful situation and how you handled it.

There was also an on-site written portion where they give you an article and tell you to summarize it and answer a few questions. I think I did well in the interview, but didn't feel so great about the written portion because we had already been talking for almost an hour at that point, so I was mentally tired by the time I got to the article.

I'm glad your interview went well. I'm anxiously hoping I will receive an interview from Downstate. Did they mention anything about how many people are being interviewed this cycle and when more interviews will be taking place?

I'm glad your interview went well. I'm anxiously hoping I will receive an interview from Downstate. Did they mention anything about how many people are being interviewed this cycle and when more interviews will be taking place?

Dr. Elenko said that they normally start doing interviews in December, but this year they started in January so the bulk of the interviews will be conducted within the next 2 months. So your interview email will probably come soon! They sent me the interview email 2 weeks before the scheduled interview (but it was also during the holiday season, so they may give other people less notice).

She also mentioned that they interview almost all candidates that meet the admission requirements (~400 this admissions cycle), which doesn't sound very uplifting as they only admit ~35 students.

That's how my stony brook one was, very clinical. From my experience most of them are like that. You must have really good stats. Congrats.

I have my Stony Brook interview tomorrow! Would you be able to give me some information on how yours went? They said it would be from 9am-1:30pm (which is so long!). What kind of questions did they ask?

Dr. Elenko said that they normally start doing interviews in December, but this year they started in January so the bulk of the interviews will be conducted within the next 2 months. So your interview email will probably come soon! They sent me the interview email 2 weeks before the scheduled interview (but it was also during the holiday season, so they may give other people less notice).

She also mentioned that they interview almost all candidates that meet the admission requirements (~400 this admissions cycle), which doesn't sound very uplifting as they only admit ~35 students.

Dang, 400 interviews and 35 admitted? Not so encouraging at all, lol...

Just had it today. I believe it went well. I was interviewed by the Chair of the Department and I am the first interviewee of this cycle :p I can't recall my questions because they were very specific... and nothing generic for what I prepped for. Like no 'tell me about yourself' or even 'what are your strengths and weaknesses'. They were very based on my experiences and application, and even my transcript.

Hi! I just had my interview on Tuesday and you're right. Many questions were about specifically what was done in my observations.
But funny you mention that you were the first interviewee of the cycle because I was told the same! :laugh: But my friend made a good point saying that each faculty member could've gotten a certain number of students to interview so you could've been the first interviewee for your interviewer.
Crossing my fingers that all of us will receive good news soon!

Last edited:
For those of you who have gotten interviews, can you tell me what it says on your online app? Mine says "screening in process."

For those of you who have gotten interviews, can you tell me what it says on your online app? Mine says "screening in process."

My application on ApplyYourself still says "FORWARDED TO ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE FOR REVIEW"

yeah same, mine says "FORWARDED TO ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE FOR REVIEW"

Mine says the same but I haven't been notified of an interview yet. I am holding out hope though!

Hey guys! I had an interview on January 15th. I think it went really well. My status reads the same, "FORWARDED TO ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE FOR REVIEW." It's definitely not encouraging to know that 400 people get an interview but wishing luck to you all. Where else did you all apply?

Hey guys! I had an interview on January 15th. I think it went really well. My status reads the same, "FORWARDED TO ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE FOR REVIEW." It's definitely not encouraging to know that 400 people get an interview but wishing luck to you all. Where else did you all apply?
Many of us actually got our acceptance email today as posted in another thread. My only other school was Stonybrook in which I submited my application, then found out there's supplemental applications and extra fee to be paid... which I paid for but did not complete the supplement essays yet, and I'm not sure if I want to do it anymore now that I have acceptance from Downstate.

Many of us actually got our acceptance email today as posted in another thread. My only other school was Stonybrook in which I submited my application, then found out there's supplemental applications and extra fee to be paid... which I paid for but did not complete the supplement essays yet, and I'm not sure if I want to do it anymore now that I have acceptance from Downstate.

honestly i wouldnt do it, because there is two supplemental essay...on top of that an interview...

They really interview most people qualified?? I haven't heard anything about an interview and am freaking out!

They really interview most people qualified?? I haven't heard anything about an interview and am freaking out!

They're still interviewing through February for sure! Don't lose hope!