SUNY Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmike1983

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of the SUNY programs which are the best and the worst?

Members don't see this ad.

suny stonybrook and suny upstate are just relatively better.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
go to them if you don't have any other choices of big names such as yale and hopkins.

Last edited:
Are you saying this from personal experience or based on anecdotes from others? I am trying not to make the a priori assumption that because they are sunys they can not be good. I interviewed at Buffalo and Upstate so far and while Buffalo did seem weak, Upstate did come across as a strong program and I wondered if their location was the reason why there is a low demand for them. I plan on giving the same fair assessment to Stony Brook and Albany when I interview there. The other thing I would say is that the opposite isn't true either: just because you are an institution with a big name doesn't imply you are more education focused then service focused. I don't know why but I got the impression that NYU and Montefiore were more service focused and Cornell and Yale more education focused. Maybe thats not accurate so thats why I've learned to not trust my intuitions.

You might be right regarding the NUY and Montefiore.

Last edited:
I have rotated at both SUNY Upstate (Syracuse) and Stony Brook and have a positive impression from both. I cannot endorse the opinion of anyone who feels like cheap labor at either institution. Also the attendings are pleasant to work with and I have not detected any "psychopathic" behavior. Both programs are committed to the education and success of their residents.

Keep an open mind. Good luck on your interviews.

Can you please let us know when you had your personal experience with Downstate state? I know the program like all programs change.

Last edited: