SUNY Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soon2BEMMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up with them? They had 40% of their spots unfilled. They made up 1/6th of the unfilled spots nationwide. I thought I heard they were one of the good programs out East?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought they were a good program, the problem is location. I'm from Long Island and even I would rather be closer to the city. The way I see it, if someone from outside the Northeast wants to be in the city, they don't want to be an hour out east from it in a suburban area.
The residents seemed really happy there, and I know people who go to med school there and enjoy it.

Very intrigued by this. Anyone out there with info?

Members don't see this ad :)
I rotated at the program this year and felt it was a very good program. The program director and assistant director are very supportive and nice guys. Patient diversity is good and pathology was excellent. They see a good share of trauma as they are the only level 1 trauma center in suffolk county.

I am not sure why they did not fill all their spots. The had 3 open spots last year as well according the the list on scutwork.com.

Good luck tomorrow!

Soon2BEMMD said:
What's up with them? They had 40% of their spots unfilled. They made up 1/6th of the unfilled spots nationwide. I thought I heard they were one of the good programs out East?
Just because a program doesn't fill before the scramble doesn't mean its a bad program! This is a pretty big misconception.

The match from a program's perspective can be an iffy item. You never know which applicants are going to rank you high, but you don't want to get stuck with the poor applicants that you interviewed (that looked good on paper but didnt' seem like a good match). So do you rank only the top 30 and hope you get them? Do you rank the 20 people you interviewed but didn't like, or do you go for the scramble? not easy. Most programs definately do fine ultimately in the end, but its no so cut and dry... the match is far easier for the applicants!

Q

Thanks for the responses.

Something is missing when a good proportion of spots are left empty from one program, and the only other program with a similar experience is Drew with their well publicized issues. The location explanation is hard to buy too, given the other NY programs that are not a hop skip from Manhattan.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Actually, the location issue IS key. It is REALLY far out there (about 2 hours by train and 1 to drive IF there is no travel) the vast majority of people who apply to residency in NYC want to be IN the city (or at least brooklyn, queens, bronx).

Stony Brook is a really good program. I interviewed there. I liked the program alot but again, its WAY WAY WAY out there and for that reason and that alone, I ranked it very low.

as you see, LOCATION is becoming a key factor in many people's decision to rank a program.