suny stony brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entropy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how is the program

Members don't see this ad.

i'm bumping this guy up from the dead in the hope that there's someone on here now who can comment about stony brook or the other 2 long island pathology programs (long island jewish and winthrop). going somewhere with a decent jewish community is important to me, so i feel obligated to look at the programs on long island. however their website are all sparse, there's little on scutwork, and i don't get much when i search this forum. so i'm really just trying to get enough info to decide if it's worth applying to any of them. stony brook seems to be the biggest of the 3, but any information anyone has on these 3 programs would be appreciated in helping me decide if it's worth my time/money to try and see them myself via an interview.

suny stony brook is small. winthrop is even smaller.

long island jewish has enough specimen 30k. good salary, close to 57k, 2k housing allowance. PREMATCH only. several of my friends and I myself interviewed there. if you go there, you'd better take food and drink with you. don't expect anything. people there are tough, just too tough! if you can survive there, you can survive anywhere!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you mean, prematch only? i'm an american allopath - i don't think i can even do that. bring my own lunch to interview day? no thank you - i don't expect the red carpet, but if they're not even interested in selling their program to potential residents then that makes me think resident education probably isn't going to be too high up on their priority list either.

aside from being small, what'd you think of stony brook? did it seem big enough to provide a well-rounded AP and CP education? did their residents seem happy and normal? thanks for your reply, sleeping beauty.

they do not participate in match. most physicians and residents are from oversea.

"bring my own lunch to interview day?" yes. it does not matter if you are from south florida or california.

on my interview day, they interviewed 9 candidates (3 groups). our group were from NC, AK, and PA respectively. we met 4 faculty, each 10-15 min. after that the chief resident showed us around for 10 min. we were asked to leave. 30 minute waiting and 60 minute answering Qs. that's the whole process.

they do not participate in match. most physicians and residents are from oversea.

"bring my own lunch to interview day?" yes. it does not matter if you are from south florida or california.

on my interview day, they interviewed 9 candidates (3 groups). our group were from NC, AK, and PA respectively. we met 4 faculty, each 10-15 min. after that the chief resident showed us around for 10 min. we were asked to leave. 30 minute waiting and 60 minute answering Qs. that's the whole process.

are these comments regarding stony brook, long island jewish, or winthrop? the story you tell is kinda scary - to spend hundred of dollars getting to a location only to get a few hours time is insulting. thanks for the warning.

long island jewish. not "a few hours time". about 80-90 minutes.

I know for sure that SUNY Stonybrook is much better than Withtrop but I cannot compare it with Long Island Jewish as I don't know much about the latter.

Stonybrook is the best SUNY program (SUNY Downstate/SUNY at Buffalo) and they have good education. There are also a good numer of fellowships. It is also located in a nice area. I highly recommend it.

no fellwoship in suny stony brook.

I apologize. Yes no fellowships in stony brook. I meant suny upstate at syracuse in my psoting above. I was confused between suny stony brook and suny upstate...

I am a resident at Stony Brook and have only positive things to say about it (sincerely).

Regarding fellowships at SB:

http://www.path.sunysb.edu/fellowships.htm

I interviewed at Winthrop and I think I would have been happy there also. I don't think that NSLIJ participates in the match so it may not be an option for you, although the freida page is probably not the best source of information if you are still interested.

http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/pgm/0,1238,3003521245,00.html

At some places you will get the red carpet.