Suny Upstate Class Of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just want to ask a quick question. If i live off campus and wanted to drive to upstate everyday, is there parking for students????? Bcs my interview day i had to park in one of the parking lots across upstate and it was 14 dollars a day. Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There is parking at Upstate for commuters. They are finishing a 2nd parking garage which may be ready by the beginning of school. At this time, there is parking way off campus for free and you take a shuttle to and from the lot, two lots withing walking distance (not recommended after dark) and that costs about $16 month, and the parking garage costs $81/month. There will probably be more info sent to us soon.

RacerX, BEMD, Thanks for the info. I'll probably put off the oto/opthalmoscope for the time being, as it is a recommendation and not required. See if I can save the few hundred bucks. Again, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Summer anatomy people do you know if theres a scrubs store near by? I was told walmart had them but apparently the one near me does not so now I have no scrubs for monday ahhh:(

Summer anatomy people do you know if theres a scrubs store near by? I was told walmart had them but apparently the one near me does not so now I have no scrubs for monday ahhh:(

There is a store behind the Crouse Physician's Office building called Bayberry Uniforms that sells scrubs. To get there, go across the street from Crouse and walk between the office buildings. This connects Marshall street area with Crouse. You will be in a small parking area. Look to your left and you'll see the Bayberry store on the other side of the parking area.

I know I saw a scrub store on eire blvd but I dont know what its called. I might try googling "uniform store" or scrub store in Syracuse and then call ahead to make sure they have what you want.
I also saw your other post about scrub color. Last year in anatomy people wore color of scrubs that I have seen. Good luck with anatomy on Monday. :)

Those of you who are in the Summer Anatomy course, how are things going so far? Are there many of you taking the course?

Those of you who are in the Summer Anatomy course, how are things going so far? Are there many of you taking the course?

So far so good. Drs. Stearns and Spring-Mills are great. We have a test on Wednesday (18th). There are 28 of us in the class.

For those that are already students at upstate: when it comes to laptops do most of the students have tablets? Does upstate have a recommendation when it comes to laptops? (i heard some other schools do have that). thnx

For those that are already students at upstate: when it comes to laptops do most of the students have tablets? Does upstate have a recommendation when it comes to laptops? (i heard some other schools do have that). thnx

I recently discussed this with a friend of mine who just finished her first year there, and the answer is no and no. There are no specific recommendations, however most of the software people use is technically only for PCs. However, my friend has a Mac, and she said that there are Mac-friendly solutions for everything she needs. In fact, she claims that her "hypotheses" (diagrams of differential diagnoses) look better than those done on a PC. So just get whatever you like to use.

She also said that there are a few people who use tablets, though they are certainly not a majority. I am leaning toward getting a tablet for myself (Lenovo x61t), so I asked her whether she thought it would be useful. She told me that many (but not all) lecturers post slides before class, and with a tablet you could write directly on them, so it could be pretty useful.

Let me know what you are thinking of getting, I enjoy talking laptops!

Yea i was leaning towards lenovo myself (either the t or y series) but thought a tablet would be a good idea bcs of the reasons you mentioned. the only problem is ive never used a tablet and am very used to takin notes w/o the help of a laptop so i dunno if itd be a waste of money. Also i find the screen size of the x series to be a little too small-12 inches- anyway see you in fall bigredder!

Last edited:
Yea i was leaning towards lenovo myself (either the t or y series) but thought a tablet would be a good idea bcs of the reasons you mentioned. the only problem is ive never used a tablet and am very used to takin notes w/o the help of a laptop so i dunno if itd be a waste of money. Also i find the screen size of the x series to be a little too small-12 inches- anyway see you in fall bigredder!

I think that if you are used to taking handwritten notes a tablet would be more useful than a laptop. The major benefit from a notetaking perspective is to be able to draw diagrams easily. You wouldn't want a screen much bigger than 12 inches on a tablet since it would increase weight and decrease battery life. Anyway, I plan on getting an additional large LCD for my apartment so I can have my cake and eat it too.

im in class of 2012, just got an apartment in solvay, does anyone else live around there?

Members don't see this ad :)
A question for the upperclassmen...do you recommend that we buy a blood pressure cuff or is that available in Setnor?

A question for the upperclassmen...do you recommend that we buy a blood pressure cuff or is that available in Setnor?

Setnor does have BP cuffs available. I find the wall mounted units to be a pain in the butt, because they are tethered, and never seem to reach without some major stretching.

When working with standardized patients, you are given the option of using the wall mounted units, or your own BP cuff.

I can't advise you what is right for you. However, if I were to do it all over again, I'd still buy a nice, inexpensive one to keep in my bag. Afterall, if you find you don't need/want it, you can always sell it to someone in the next incoming class.

Additionally, if you do anything out in the community, it's nice to have your own cuff. If you have your own you can practice on your friends/family too.

hey, could u please tell me how syracuse, buffalo, and rochester are for crosscountry skiing? any parks in the city that have snow in them all winter long?? is it as cold as in upper i87 region of ny(i.e. plattsburg)? or at least like lake george?? and by city parks i mean not a football field but some area with hills for some serious skiers.

So in addition to the BP cuff do we really need to purchase a oto/ophthalmoscope? I'm reading on here a lot of ppl saying DON'T its a rip off you'll never use it. Is everyone else buying one?

So in addition to the BP cuff do we really need to purchase a oto/ophthalmoscope? I'm reading on here a lot of ppl saying DON'T its a rip off you'll never use it. Is everyone else buying one?

I would say don't buy an opthalmoscope unless you feel the need to practice a lot outside of class. They told our class to buy them because they wouldn't be on the walls in our classrooms or exam rooms, but then they installed them in the middle of the year. If you really feel the need to buy one, I would try to get one from an older student for cheaper.

I would say don't buy an opthalmoscope unless you feel the need to practice a lot outside of class. They told our class to buy them because they wouldn't be on the walls in our classrooms or exam rooms, but then they installed them in the middle of the year. If you really feel the need to buy one, I would try to get one from an older student for cheaper.

What Meli said. :thumbup:

Just wanted to tell everyone good luck tomorrow! You'll all do fine. It may seem overwhelming at first. Remember, it feels that way for everyone.

If you feel like you need to get extra academic help or speak with someone for personal issues, remember that the school has fantastic resources to help you out. And. . .your big sibs are there for you -- use them.

Also, feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I am on rotations now, but will answer when I get the chance.

Again, good luck, learn alot, make friends, and HAVE FUN!!!

Thanks RacerX...only 2 classes that had testable material. The MCP (old MFM) wasn't too bad but anatomy :eek: ...Dr. Stearns is a good lecturer but she talks fast. Will need to review that lecture online. Anatomy lab wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Hey guys, how did everyone do on our first round of exams?

I have so much going on right now, all I wanted was to pass with dignity (as one of our classmates put it) and I did. :laugh: