Super Glue and Inlay Wax

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

In fundamentals of occlusion we are making casts to put in our articulator. We take impressions of our typodonts and then shave down the occlusal surface so we can wax it back up and adjust the occlusion.

I shaved it down but forgot to leave retention grooves so the wax would stick to it. So the waxups i did on 19/20 last night broke off in my drawer.

Is it possible to just superglue them back on and melt the wax around the margins to try to make it stick to the stone? I dont' feel like redoing both of them ...

Members don't see this ad.

At IUSD, we used sticky wax to help retain our occlusal wax-ups in place. you might try that before resorting to superglue. Good luck.

In my stones I put two diverging holes about 3mm long...kinda like fake roots

I filled those up with wax/sticky wax and then worked up from there. They never fell out. Actually one time I dropped a stone cast and it cracked but my wax up stayed in.

You can still make the diverging holes in the stone...and sharp instrument will do it, and then fill the holes in with wax and lude your wax up to it. Check the occlusion and you should be fine

But yes, super gule will work also (actually I keep some in my kit just in case shhhhhhh :) )

Members don't see this ad :)
I cut some small grooves on the cast and then used a drop of stucky wax and voila ... it set up perfect. I had to remelt the margins to the stone and shave it flush but it turned out great.

Thanks for the advice.

CJWolf said:
I cut some small grooves on the cast and then used a drop of stucky wax and voila ... it set up perfect. I had to remelt the margins to the stone and shave it flush but it turned out great.

Thanks for the advice.
Glad you got it figured out! :thumbup: