super low diagnostic test score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cathy45

Reaction score
Hi. I am currently enrolled as a part-time student at a community college to finish prereqs for med school. I am planning on taking MCAT in January 2020. I have been studying for MCAT since October for 2-3 hours a day. I just decided to take the Next step diagnostic test and got a 495. I am super disappointed and don't know what to do.

Any suggestions or tips on how to improve my score?

Members don't see this ad.

That score might be deflated a bit, but even with that taken into account you might want to rethink your January test date. What have you been studying? That could be the reason for a low score. There are many examples here at SDN of people who said they were studying and felt like they knew their stuff, but then they got a shockingly low score. It's almost always a case of studying wrong. If you have been passively reading a book set that has no (or very few questions) that could be a part of the problem. If you've been watching several videos and not doing at least five passages a day during that time, that's also a problem. Doing well on the MCAT requires working through literally thousands of practice questions and learning from your mistakes.

You can def be 500+ come test date. Buckle down and grind.

It is important to realize that MD isn't going to happen for you. Be good with going DO, and keep your head in the books until test date.

Review your FL's well and make sure you watch Khan vids over weak subjects.
Keep crushing anki if that's your thing also.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
That score might be deflated a bit, but even with that taken into account you might want to rethink your January test date. What have you been studying? That could be the reason for a low score. There are many examples here at SDN of people who said they were studying and felt like they knew their stuff, but then they got a shockingly low score. It's almost always a case of studying wrong. If you have been passively reading a book set that has no (or very few questions) that could be a part of the problem. If you've been watching several videos and not doing at least five passages a day during that time, that's also a problem. Doing well on the MCAT requires working through literally thousands of practice questions and learning from your mistakes.
This is exactly right. Even now, as an MS2 for boards prep, I do questions FIRST then review with vids/first aid, that way you associate what you learn with a question and how it may represented in question, rather than taking it as a simple fact.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice! I have just been reading Kaplan test prep books with very little practice. I should practice more!

One big thing is knowing how much content review you need because once you have a solid foundation, it’s all about practice questions and learning how to work with the exam. People can spend too much time on content review trying to remember every thing and less time attacking the exam style.

If you’re still planning to take it in January, you should definitely just be doing practice questions by now. If you don’t feel ready, push it back.

You need to dedicate more hours. I had to spend 8-10 hrs per day 6 days per week for the last 2 months before my MCAT. Its brutal but there isn’t any substitute or shortcuts. This test will decide your future so make it your number one priority.