SUPER low undergrad GPA

Started by 4102ca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

4102ca

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums and need your help on deciding what path I should take now.

I recently graduated from UC Berkeley with a 2.1 undergrad GPA with a BA in Geography as a transfer student from community college. I originally started off as a bio major and had a really low gpa and in danger of not graduating so I changed to Geography in my last year, improved my GPA and was able to graduate. At my community college I emphasized my coursework in biology and took all the pre-reqs for medical school and finished up with a 3.5 GPA. But upon entering UC Berkeley my GPA tanked, I had trouble with my science classes, and I was placed on academic probation. A lot of my science course work I retook as well and STILL did bad in them. I'm talking F, D, and C's. The main reason for all of this was me being immature and not taking my coursework seriously, something that I've turned around after taking a year off from school.

So my question is...should I do a post-bacc program or a second bachelors in science? What are some post-bacc programs that will accept low GPA's? Or good schools that will offer second bachelors?

Thank you!
 
Last edited:
The best thing would be to apply DO with grade replacement.

Maybe doing a post-bacc in some sciences and applying to a master's program would be good, but you'd have to perform very well in both. How is your application otherwise, like MCAT/activities?
 
With that GPA the fact that you seem so standoffish towards D.O. is dumbfounding to me. Literally D.O. might be your only salvation via grade replacement. If you redo undergrad with another 120 credits at a 4.0 your GPA averaged with the 2.1 from your first undergrad is only going to be a 3.05 roughly--this STILL isn't in the discussion for MD or DO. I would do grade replacement and go D.O. if I were in your shoes undoubtedly, and even this is a long journey. I am not sure if MD is even doable for you. Best of luck! Nothing wrong with D.O.!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't taken the MCATs yet but I have research experience with publication, good letters of rec's, volunteer/internship experience, leadership experience in a couple organizations, as well as shadowing.

If I went the post-bacc/master's route, which post-bacc programs would be good for my situation?
 
Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums and need your help on deciding what path I should take now.

I recently graduated from UC Berkeley with a 2.1 undergrad GPA with a BA in Geography as a transfer student from community college. I originally started off as a bio major and had a really low gpa and in danger of not graduating so I changed to Geography in my last year, improved my GPA and was able to graduate. At my community college I emphasized my coursework in biology and took all the pre-reqs for medical school and finished up with a 3.5 GPA. But upon entering UC Berkeley my GPA tanked, I had trouble with my science classes, and I was placed on academic probation. A lot of my science course work I retook as well and STILL did bad in them. I'm talking F, D, and C's. The main reason for all of this was me being immature and not taking my coursework seriously, something that I've turned around after taking a year off from school.

So my question is... should I do a post-bacc program or a second bachelors in science? What are some post-bacc programs that will accept low GPA's? Or good schools that will offer second bachelors?

I'm also not interested in doing DO, I really want to do MD.

Thank you!



I don't want to sound like an ass, but have you considered the possibility that you aren't cut out for medicine?

Your grade trends would be extremely disturbing to Ad-coms and it would be hard for them to put their faith in your ability to academically succeed. Plenty of academically strong applicants are turned down every year, it's a competitive world and your academic record makes it very easy to turn down your application without a second glance. Unless you do something truly amazing(on the scale of major recognition), get exemplary grades in a post-bac it would be hard to imagine a situation where you can go to medical school.

DO vs. MD, if you're serious about going to medical school; "Beggars can't be choosers"

But I would also recommend that you strongly consider other career alternatives, instead of wasting more time and money on post-bacs and masters programs.
 
I'm really not well-acquainted with specific post-bacc programs, so I suggest you research them yourself and see what's available.

Honestly though, even if you perform well in it, your chances for MD extremely low and for DO iffy. With grade replacement, a decent MCAT score and really good EC's, you have a shot at DO.
 
I recently graduated from UC Berkeley with a 2.1 undergrad GPA with a BA in Geography as a transfer student from community college. I originally started off as a bio major and had a really low gpa and in danger of not graduating so I changed to Geography in my last year, improved my GPA and was able to graduate. At my community college I emphasized my coursework in biology and took all the pre-reqs for medical school and finished up with a 3.5 GPA. But upon entering UC Berkeley my GPA tanked, I had trouble with my science classes, and I was placed on academic probation. A lot of my science course work I retook as well and STILL did bad in them. I'm talking F, D, and C's. The main reason for all of this was me being immature and not taking my coursework seriously, something that I've turned around after taking a year off from school.

So my question is...should I do a post-bacc program or a second bachelors in science? What are some post-bacc programs that will accept low GPA's? Or good schools that will offer second bachelors?

I'm also not interested in doing DO, I really want to do MD.
If you have what it takes to earn a high GPA in the sciences while attaining a second degree, a potential pathway to US MD for you would be the Texas Fresh Start Program: http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/texasAcFrshStrt.html

The negative is that you have to wait ten years from graduation to invoke it and start over with a new bachelors degree.
 
I don't want to sound like an ass, but have you considered the possibility that you aren't cut out for medicine?

Your grade trends would be extremely disturbing to Ad-coms and it would be hard for them to put their faith in your ability to academically succeed. Plenty of academically strong applicants are turned down every year, it's a competitive world and your academic record makes it very easy to turn down your application without a second glance. Unless you do something truly amazing(on the scale of major recognition), get exemplary grades in a post-bac it would be hard to imagine a situation where you can go to medical school.

DO vs. MD, if you're serious about going to medical school; "Beggars can't be choosers"

But I would also recommend that you strongly consider other career alternatives, instead of wasting more time and money on post-bacs and masters programs.

You don't sound like an ass at all, I appreciate the honesty. I've actually thought about this a lot on my year off from school, and I think given a new opportunity I'll do exceptionally well this time around. I had a ton of issues that I figured out and dealt with and I know medical school is the right choice for me. In regards to DO or MD, I'd like to prepare and apply for MD, but based on the general consensus of the responses so far DO would be a great option as well. My only issue is I haven't done a lot of research on DO schools so that's something I'll check out.
 
Game over. You won't be a doctor. Maybe a lower tier Caribbean like AUA or SABA. If you change your mind about DO, let me know and I'll help.

Sure, well what can you tell me about DO? Based on what I posted above, I can tell you I haven't done much research on DO schools so if there is anything you know that might help me, please do share.
 
Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums and need your help on deciding what path I should take now.

I recently graduated from UC Berkeley with a 2.1 undergrad GPA with a BA in Geography as a transfer student from community college. I originally started off as a bio major and had a really low gpa and in danger of not graduating so I changed to Geography in my last year, improved my GPA and was able to graduate. At my community college I emphasized my coursework in biology and took all the pre-reqs for medical school and finished up with a 3.5 GPA. But upon entering UC Berkeley my GPA tanked, I had trouble with my science classes, and I was placed on academic probation. A lot of my science course work I retook as well and STILL did bad in them. I'm talking F, D, and C's. The main reason for all of this was me being immature and not taking my coursework seriously, something that I've turned around after taking a year off from school.

So my question is...should I do a post-bacc program or a second bachelors in science? What are some post-bacc programs that will accept low GPA's? Or good schools that will offer second bachelors?

I'm also not interested in doing DO, I really want to do MD.

Thank you!


The whole DO bias is a quite common in California and it is apparent that you have picked it up as well. Is there a particular reason why you don't want to be a DO?

Here's an older formula that is still fairly accurate. Your chance of getting into med school is roughly (GPA x 10) + MCAT + Z score (research, LOR, EC; nebulous in nature I know). In order to make a GPA 3.5 equivalent which is relatively low for med school, you'll need to do + 14 on your MCAT than the national average, which is 25, to make a 39. 25 is just the national MCAT average, it is not the average MCAT score matriculant which is in the low 30s.

If you get an interview, I would get a better excuse than being immature. It would have been fine if it was a straight improvement but you tanking and being put on academic probation at Berkley will be difficult to explain, especially since you retook classes and still did terrible.

You should strongly consider a back up plan if you don't get into medical school.
 
You don't sound like an ass at all, I appreciate the honesty. I've actually thought about this a lot on my year off from school, and I think given a new opportunity I'll do exceptionally well this time around. I had a ton of issues that I figured out and dealt with and I know medical school is the right choice for me. In regards to DO or MD, I'd like to prepare and apply for MD, but based on the general consensus of the responses so far DO would be a great option as well. My only issue is I haven't done a lot of research on DO schools so that's something I'll check out.

Well, you certainly seem to have a go-getter attitude down, so I will wish you the best of luck. If you are serious about going through with this, I would recommend a complete "re-invention", a solid career in health care as a non-physician, a second bachelor's and very good RL's. I urge you to consider moving to a different state as well, California will not do you any favors, IMO.

EDIT: Your MCAT score will make or break you, it's important for everyone, but it might be worth even more to you.
 
Sure, well what can you tell me about DO? Based on what I posted above, I can tell you I haven't done much research on DO schools so if there is anything you know that might help me, please do share.
As a DO, you will have the same practice right as any other physician. Although your chances to specialize are slightly lower and residencies like Hopkins are near impossible, we still have a healthy number of ENT, Neurosurgery, Dermatology, etc. specialists who have a DO degree.

I started my med school journey with a downward trend from a UC and a 2.7 GPA. I worked hard both in the classroom and with my EC to attain a 3.5 science. I've been accepted to a great DO college with a small scholarship. I will be a doctor. Do you want to be a doctor? Then it is possible.
 
Sure, well what can you tell me about DO? Based on what I posted above, I can tell you I haven't done much research on DO schools so if there is anything you know that might help me, please do share.


Best way to start is to look up what DOs are on google and read up on what OMM is.
 
Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums and need your help on deciding what path I should take now.

I recently graduated from UC Berkeley with a 2.1 undergrad GPA with a BA in Geography as a transfer student from community college. I originally started off as a bio major and had a really low gpa and in danger of not graduating so I changed to Geography in my last year, improved my GPA and was able to graduate. At my community college I emphasized my coursework in biology and took all the pre-reqs for medical school and finished up with a 3.5 GPA. But upon entering UC Berkeley my GPA tanked, I had trouble with my science classes, and I was placed on academic probation. A lot of my science course work I retook as well and STILL did bad in them. I'm talking F, D, and C's. The main reason for all of this was me being immature and not taking my coursework seriously, something that I've turned around after taking a year off from school.

So my question is...should I do a post-bacc program or a second bachelors in science? What are some post-bacc programs that will accept low GPA's? Or good schools that will offer second bachelors?

Thank you!

I think you are going to require more than a simple 1 year post bacc (as it is my understanding that most of the formal programs are about this long- someone correct me if I'm wrong). I think a second bachelor's will help. As has already been said, your best bet is to apply to DO schools that allow later course work to replace poor early grades (even if it requires multiple repeats).

I'll be honest with you that your chances at a MD school are minimal and you did poorly even on retake, which won't help your case. Since MD programs will average all of the repeated grades, you're still going to be in a pickle. If you have 120 credits at 2.1 GPA, even if you took 120 credits of post bacc work at a 4.0 GPA, you're still looking at a 3.05 which is too low for a MD program and might not even get you into a SMP. Because of this, I think DO is your only real option unless you wanted to go to the Caribbean.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
doesn't your GPA reset once you transfer? (this is happening to my college GPA but AMCAS will still count the GPA of every class i've taken)
is it possible you're only looking at the GPA you have at UC-Berk and not the community college + UC-berk GPA?
because it's possible your GPA could be around a 3.1 or so.
 
doesn't your GPA reset once you transfer? (this is happening to my college GPA but AMCAS will still count the GPA of every class i've taken)
is it possible you're only looking at the GPA you have at UC-Berk and not the community college + UC-berk GPA?
because it's possible your GPA could be around a 3.1 or so.

If the 2.1 was only his Berkeley GPA (approximately 2 years or 60 credits), then OP we need to know this. This could change our advice. That would give you a 2.8 isn GPA which is still bad, but may be more workable with a lot of hard work.

OP, please provide your science GPA, cumulative GPA, and non-science GPA for all of the college level classes you have taken EVER. Use the following scale (A+/A, 4.0, A- 3.7, B+ 3.3, B 3.0, B- 2.7, etc.). Do this once counting every class and all retakes, and then do this again only counting the highest grade for each course and report all six numbers.
 
Honestly, I would stay out in the real world for a while and get a medically-related job for a few years. Do research, become an EMT, MA, etc, and earn some real life medical experience while building up your ECs. Then, go back and re-take one of your pre-reqs while continuing working and volunteering. If you can manage to get a 4.0 in the class while continuing your ECs, then you're ready to move forward towards applying. I've found that adcoms will judge your past grades less harshly if you've taken time to set yourself straight, and then got straight As.

I agree with the DO grade replacement- that path will be the cheapest and easiest. If you want to be the most competitive candidate you can be, you can do a SMP. But make sure you get a 30+ on the MCAT, something that could be difficult if you didn't learn the material in your classes the first time around.
 
As someone who graduated with a gpa somewhat similar to yours, you may want to change your mind about not pursuing the DO route. There are some schools that will allow you to pursue a masters or post-bacc with your gpa, but it may be on a probationary status. Also check with your state school about most recent grades. My state school (md) will completely ignore a low undergrad gpa and replace it if you take 32 hours of classes after graduating. There may be others that do the same.
 
Hey OP, do me a favor and post your story in all the threads you find in my post history about helping community college students adjust to the pace of sciences at big UCs.

I'm not even going to get started, here.
 
Either DO with grade replacement or apply to Caribbean schools and see what happens. This is a rare case where I think the Caribbean may be the best option for you if you do not want to spend 1-3 yrs retaking classes.
 
I also want to say top DO applicants can get into top programs, our school has had several match at Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, etc. We can apply to all residencies and though you may have a tough time with certain fields that are super competitive to all (MD or DO), our school has done pretty well. We have at least 10-15 in our class who matched to EM in just the AOA match (osteo or dually accredited programs)