Gracie_1984

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
So I get the general premise: Apply early apply early apply early or you will die. I got that.

Okay.

My question is: do medical schools look at how long it took you to fill out a secondary? I have had people say that they don't care: they know that different people have more things going on at different times of the year. Some of us have personal issues going on.

I have also had people say that they do care, because if it takes you a month to do the secondary... how excited can you be about the program?

Thoughts?

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Well its probably not a "you will die" type thing but considering that a lot of medical schools have already given away their interview slots until nov. or dec. its probably better to submit before they give away those seats.

Reactions: dnrs

neurotroph

7+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2011
Status
MD/PhD Student
I submitted some of my secondaries 6-8 weeks after receiving them and still got interviews at those places, so no. This question has been asked a million times, and the general consensus is no. And thank goodness for that, because the time it took me to finish them had nothing to do with a lack of interest. Nevertheless, you should get them out of the way ASAP for your own sake. It wasn't fun having to worry about them for weeks on end.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I submitted some of my secondaries 6-8 weeks after receiving them and still got interviews at those places, so no. This question has been asked a million times, and the general consensus is no. And thank goodness for that, because the time it took me to finish them had nothing to do with a lack of interest. Nevertheless, you should get them out of the way ASAP for your own sake. It wasn't fun having to worry about them for weeks on end.
wow you got hella good invites

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
This is like the 27th thread on this; as I have posted previously

While schools can certainly see the turnaround time, what I am saying is no one will care when it was submitted. They will only care that the file is complete and can be reviewed. They are simply giving the times for quick responses as to clear thru the pile of applications they receive. The advantage in timing as in getting things in quickly is more availability in choice for Interview Slots. Not that getting in early will increase your chances of II by more than a small bit, you may have more selection in when to schedule an interview if offered one.

In sum, when adcom sits down to review/vote on applications, no one will take ANY note of when it was submitted.