Support thread for my fellow "average" applicants!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samus Aran

Old member
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i will be the first one to stand up and admit it: my mcat score is, well, not going to be mentioned publicly by me because that's how crappy i think it is. i feel like my gpa, ec's, etc., are all ok but my mcat score is definitely a big black mark on my application. here's hoping that the rest of my app. will be viewed worthy enough to get an interview somewhere. ANYWHERE.

so let's hear it you guys! goooooooooooooo mediocrity!!!! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm average in ECs and proud of it. Yay! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to state that I hate all you overachievers. You make us below average applicants look bad. :thumbdown:

Also Misty, check DaRealMD's profile before you support him. He is not average in any way.

I would like to state that I hate all you overachievers. You make us below average applicants look bad. :thumbdown:

Also Misty, check DaRealMD's profile before you support him. He is not average in any way.

well i choose to support him anyway. hopefully the love vibes i send out will be returned to me in the form of an acceptance ;)

woo hoo :) my cumulative GPA is my big black mark. science GPA, mcat, and ec's are good.

Lol, when you check out all the OTHER MDApplicant profiles, it makes me feel extremely "average". Seems like 4.0/36 is the new 3.6/30. :(

mcat is a black mark. i'm doing rain dances to get in to medical school at this point.

i'd be curious to know how adcoms think in regards to high gpa bad mcat vs bad gpa and high mcat.

likee a 3.8, 3.8, 25 vs a 3.1, 3.5, 35. you get the picture :)

i'd be curious to know how adcoms think in regards to high gpa bad mcat vs bad gpa and high mcat.

likee a 3.8, 3.8, 25 vs a 3.1, 3.5, 35. you get the picture :)

High MCAT is probably going to win out in that situation 8 out of 10 times.

You people make me sick. I'd start a thread for my fellow below average applicants but my soul is wounded too deeply to try any more. I'm going to withdraw now :(

You people make me sick. I'd start a thread for my fellow below average applicants but my soul is wounded too deeply to try any more. I'm going to withdraw now :(

:laugh:

i am drawing the line here friend, only because in your mdapp profile you refer to your 31r mcat score as "merely average"

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh:

i am drawing the line here friend, only because in your mdapp profile you refer to your 31r mcat score as "merely average"

Actually, he has a 32. :p

YES. I really tanked on some attempts at grad school due to circumstances--my potential school has told me if I get a 31, I get an interview. MCAT in one week. DO it.

High MCAT is probably going to win out in that situation 8 out of 10 times.

that is an inspiration. my GPA is still very low, but it has a high upward trend. my science GPA and MCAT are high. i'm still horribly nervous and paranoid. so many applications with stellar everything....

none of you are average here
still better than the average applicant aka 3.5/28

wooh, here's to somewhat below average MCAT, GPA, CA resident... all working against me but also having good ECs and LORs.... AND I got some interviews last year... granted I'm here applying again, so I can only give you guys a lil hope ;)

I have below average stats for the averages at most schools, however, I've gotten 2 screened secondaries. So I am pretty proud.

I was gonna say, I think the average mcat is like a 27-28. But I do agree that it seems a 3.8/36 is the new norm. Sheesh, no wonder I hear these grandious stories of tagging monkeys in Africa for viral research, or starting inner-city shelters and what-not. It seems the day of a 3.5/30 is slippling away. There's still hope though.

it's the norm on sdn

Funny because when I talk to my pre-med friends who haven't taken the MCAT, they think I am like a god with my 32. It's not THAT amazing.

I try not to go on ego trips...

so you think my 3.1 cum GPA is better than average?
Yeah seriously. I think forever and I should be crowned as rulers of the mediocre with our 3.1 and 3.2 cum GPA, respectively.

No way is that above average.

wooh, here's to somewhat below average MCAT, GPA, CA resident... all working against me but also having good ECs and LORs.... AND I got some interviews last year... granted I'm here applying again, so I can only give you guys a lil hope ;)
You made me happy. Until I got to the end of your post. <shakes fist>

Average GPA here (3.52 cum, 3.35 BCPM, but the BCPM is mostly just due to 1 C+ a LOOOONG time ago in a non-prereq), above average but not stellar MCAT of 32, interesting ECs and background, no research. I'm applying as an intl though, that complicates thing. I wouldn't worry as much if I were a US applicant.

but your mcat and sci gpa probably make you above average so you dont count :p

mcat is still a big :confused: (just have done practice ones)

my science GPA is somewhere between a 3.5 and a 3.8 and still all the hard ones to come :(

Ecking, I saw that....Jochi sees everything.:smuggrin:

=(

Another "averagy" here. Desperate for an acceptance... any acceptance.

haha lmao.

Average? Thats the story of my life...

I feel your pain. :(

I guess I will join the avg. to below avg. club. My mcat is not good, my gpa is okay, and my EC's really good. I hope they look at the person... waiting to see if I get an interview.

I have average GPA =(

By average I mean below average.

DAMN those few Cs. They kill me. GAAAA.

Funny because when I talk to my pre-med friends who haven't taken the MCAT, they think I am like a god with my 32. It's not THAT amazing.

I try not to go on ego trips...

I gotta tell you, its that way too with my friends! From the way that everyone talks here, i would have to retake it =/ like im some failure. hahaha. But I gotta say, i feel below average here. When i was filling out my primary, going on SDN was both a painful obsession. =x

"please help! i only have a 3.85 GPA and i totally bombed the MCAT... i only got a 36 :( in addition, only went to africa three times, have 200 volunteer hours and 150 shadowing hours. i only spent 7 years working in a hospital. i think i'm screwed :("

:D:p

Woot for being average! 30 MCAT and 3.4 GPA, yeah going on here is an excersize in masochism usually. I'm glad to see others with similar stats makes me feel slightly less anxious/neurotic! :hardy:

Yeah I think I can join this thread. I think I'm pretty average across the board. 3.66 GPA, 3.77 BCPM (Maybe a little higher than average), 30Q, and normal EC's.