sure why not..tell me i suck at life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadeinLondon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
alright, i will give this a go no matter how embarrassing my grades are, i guess it's better you all see them before an ADCOM.

undergrad - 2.9 and science is also 2.9 - 125 credits
post - bacc - 3.77 - 27 credits

together comes out to a 3.05

ok so here's the deal, my grades don't have an upward trend, actually its the opposite, they went down - especially when i turned 21 and senior year.

i currently work as a research coordinator at the #1 children's hospital in the country. i have solid LORs - from penn med profs. i am a penn post - bacc

cause for concern:
i have one F in my undergrad worth 6 credits (i had to drop my senior research half way through senior year - financial issues came up and i was working 50-60 hours a week as a waitress) i made up 3 of the 6 credits in the summer and got an A. i didn't need the full 6 to graduate so i just took the 3, wrote my paper and got the hell out!

mcats - taking them on friday. my scores go as follow on AAMCs:
#4 - 30,
#5 - 32,
#6 - 35,
#7 - 38,
#8 - 39,
#10 - 35.

im hoping for something along the average of those scores lol

my brother is LECOM alum, and i am looking at DOs maybe my two NJ state MD - schools.

what do we all think of my pathetic tale of senior year drunkenness and immaturity? i was so stupid my last 18 months of undergrad and i ruined a 3.4 GPA. So whats the evil and harsh truth about my pathetic tale?

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, I don't think you suck at life; people just go through a couple of times in their life where they later look back and think, "WTF was I thinking???"

In any case, the good news that you started to trend back up somewhat with your post-bacc. Does your CHOP experience give you clinical exposure? If not, what do you have in the way of clinical experience?

If you kill the MCAT (35+), I'd say you stand a shot at your in state MD schools and maybe a few lower tier privates. Something 32+ should make you competitive for most DO schools. This is, of course, assuming you have the usual clinical experience.

Good luck on your MCAT Friday! With a good score, I think you stand a decent chance at atoning for the majority of your senior year mistakes :)

I am a clinical research coordinator on a project that i helped build from the ground up basically, including the database that i built in microsoft access (worst two months of my life)

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, but what I'm really asking is do you personally come into contact with the patients? And if not through your CHOP job, do you have any other experience where you have personal interaction with patients?

oh my bad, i didnt read the question properly (a mistake, i also make on my practice tests lol). i recruit/enroll new born babies and their families for the study and i do all the follow up. its just me and the Doc. working on the study, so basically its just me.

oh my bad, i didnt read the question properly (a mistake, i also make on my practice tests lol). i recruit/enroll new born babies and their families for the study and i do all the follow up. its just me and the Doc. working on the study, so basically its just me.

Hey that's pretty cool :) I definitely think you stand a good shot at DO schools, and it wouldn't shock me if you got a look at the NJ MD schools if you do particularly well on the MCAT.

thanks, for a spurs fan you sure are smart! hhaha im only teasing

GO CAVS!

You suck at life. Everyone who can only manage a 3.0-ish and a 35 is clearly hopeless. :whistle:

Given your post-bac GPA, I think a great MCAT score - 35+ as Spurs said - would qualify you for your state schools and would certainly put you in the running for DO schools. Some of the less competitive MD schools would probably at least look at you if you have great essays and recs. Stranger things have happened.

i know there are people in worse shape than me. i was one of the luckier ones, because i got a chance to do a post bacc and redeem myself. the life of a post - baccer is hard and very emotional. thanks for all the feedback! i will try to ROCK this MCAT

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh oops haha sorry - i predict my sense of humor will return in 3 days!

what are considered low tier private schools? I am very new to this whole process.

Definitely give UMDNJ and Robert Wood a try. Since your circumstances are so unique, and your post-bacc GPA is beastly with interesting extra-curriculars I would definitely try UMDNJ and Robert Wood. I would then look for friendly out of state MD schools in New York. You can use the LizzyM Calculator to see which schools would be ideal since they were used with AMCAS data.

I think you've done everything in your power to redeem yourself. You've accepted your mistakes and have made the full gamut. I personally believe that you have a really good chance at getting into an MD school. But all this is just personal speculation. Good luck.

Definitely give UMDNJ and Robert Wood a try. Since your circumstances are so unique, and your post-bacc GPA is beastly with interesting extra-curriculars I would definitely try UMDNJ and Robert Wood. I would then look for friendly out of state MD schools in New York. You can use the LizzyM Calculator to see which schools would be ideal since they were used with AMCAS data.

I think you've done everything in your power to redeem yourself. You've accepted your mistakes and have made the full gamut. I personally believe that you have a really good chance at getting into an MD school. But all this is just personal speculation. Good luck.

oh heckkkkk:D:D:D i was so happy when i read that. i have been really down lately about applying in a month. thanks for making my friday!!!

ok so update:

i filled out my AACOMAS and they calculated my science GPA as 2.94 and cum as 3.00

by year it goes:

fresh - 3.3
sophomore - 3.2
junior - 3.1
senior - 2.8
post bacc - 3.77

sighhhhhhhhhh - now what? another class boosts my gpa's to 3.0 and 3.05

i didnt realize this whole GPA calculator is different. :scared::scared:

so update:

27 MCATs - definitely have to take them over, right? even for DO.