Surface Pro 3...Should I Buy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungProdigy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There a re a bunch of old SP3 threads, but I'd like some new reviews and comments on whether it's a product I should buy. Looking to keep it for about 4-6 years - throughout undergrad and medical school. Yay or nay? I feel like I'm going to use the stylus a lot since it's just so natural. As for the macbook, I can't warrant putting 1000+ on a laptop with no touchscreen capabilities.

So, Surface Pro 3. Should I buy it?

Members don't see this ad.

There a re a bunch of old SP3 threads, but I'd like some new reviews and comments on whether it's a product I should buy. Looking to keep it for about 4-6 years - throughout undergrad and medical school. Yay or nay? I feel like I'm going to use the stylus a lot since it's just so natural. As for the macbook, I can't warrant putting 1000+ on a laptop with no touchscreen capabilities.

If you're looking to get the stats and the touchscreen, there are some nice convertibles out there now. They don't detach fully like the SP, but they're still pretty sick.
I just bought myself a computer in the past few months...the stats, screen resolution, etc are all up to par with the Macbook. SSD hard drive, decent RAM, nice processor, super light, etc. More ports than MBP. The screen flips around on a special hinge so that it can be a tablet, or a computer, or anything in between, really (ever wished you could move your laptop screen closer/further away without changing the angle of it? It has a touchscreen and a digitizer in the screen so that it works with the n-Trig stylus, just like the SP3. It was cheaper than a MBP or an SP3 (it was not cheap, mind you, still $1k or so, but it was cheaper).
There are actually several convertible tabPCs out there that I would 100% pick over the MBP. Apple hasn't really updated their laptops in a while, and not only are PCs catching up, but the touchscreen aspect is far better and makes a far bigger difference than I anticipated.

Basically, Win 8.1 and touchscreen integration was surprisingly better than I anticipated, so I don't think you're wrong to go PC over Mac.
If you want to get as much use out of the computer as you say, (4-6yrs) then yes, buy top of the line.
That could be the Surface, but I would also look into the integrated tabPCs just to see what's out there...that's what I did when looking into the Surface and I feel that I found a better deal out there. YMMV...I don't think it'd be a mistake to get the Surface by any means, I just always recommend shopping around before taking the plunge!

Members don't see this ad :)
The surface pro 4 (~$1000) and surface 3 ($500) are coming out soon so I would hold out on purchasing unless you really need it right now.

As far as macbook pro goes I have had one for the past 5 years and has stood the test of time however you will be paying a premium for the apple brand (with less computing power), and like mech012 said they have not done a whole lot in improving the mbp so I don't think it warrants the extra cash.

Touch screen is awesome and I find myself using it a lot for equations, graphs/pictures, quick notes on slides.

Bottom line the newer tablets (mainly microsoft surfaces) are fantastic for school.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're looking to get the stats and the touchscreen, there are some nice convertibles out there now. They don't detach fully like the SP, but they're still pretty sick.
I just bought myself a computer in the past few months...the stats, screen resolution, etc are all up to par with the Macbook. SSD hard drive, decent RAM, nice processor, super light, etc. More ports than MBP. The screen flips around on a special hinge so that it can be a tablet, or a computer, or anything in between, really (ever wished you could move your laptop screen closer/further away without changing the angle of it? It has a touchscreen and a digitizer in the screen so that it works with the n-Trig stylus, just like the SP3. It was cheaper than a MBP or an SP3 (it was not cheap, mind you, still $1k or so, but it was cheaper).
There are actually several convertible tabPCs out there that I would 100% pick over the MBP. Apple hasn't really updated their laptops in a while, and not only are PCs catching up, but the touchscreen aspect is far better and makes a far bigger difference than I anticipated.

Awesome! Mind telling me which PC you got, and the stylus that you use? Appreciate it.

I'm planning on buying some version of the surface gadgetry, although be aware they are about to do a release of new products which means that if you wait you will 1) have more selection and 2) the prices of the things currently available will likely drop, so you might want to hold off a bit

I'm planning on buying some version of the surface gadgetry, although be aware they are about to do a release of new products which means that if you wait you will 1) have more selection and 2) the prices of the things currently available will likely drop, so you might want to hold off a bit
I am also currently looking into getting one. The current first years have more surfaces than iPads and they seem to like using them more.

I am about to start clerkships and the thing that will decide which one I'll get is if the surface 3 will fit in a white coat pocket. I get my white coat in two months and I'll find out then.

The new Surface Pros are very nice. A lot of people seem to compare its performance to Macbooks/iPads/[insert name of Apple product here]. But keep in mind that PCs have gotten much better than Macs nowadays and getting a Mac now is more of a fashion statement than anything. Sure, OS is easy to use, but for the price of the Macbook, the hardware is definitely not worth it. In fact, you could design your own PC with much better hardware for the same price as a Macbook (and this is coming from a Macbook user). But all in all, the Surface is really great machine.

Awesome! Mind telling me which PC you got, and the stylus that you use? Appreciate it.
I got an Acer R13...i7 processor, 8GB RAM (enough for Photoshop and whatnot, which is the most I need it for), SSD hard drive, and the screen setup is AWESOME. Acer has a stylus which I went with...it's got the pressure sensitivity and the 2 buttons, which are pretty standard for n-trig styli, but the pocket clip is plastic, so it split off. I'd probably go with a different brand next time just for that, cuz it annoys the crap out of me. It's actually nice, because the screen has magnets on the side due to the swivel setup, so I can just clip my pen to the monitor while I'm using it. I also attached a pen holder to the side, which is a bit more secure. You could soup it up a bit more or a bit less, depending on budget or priorities, but I went with this model cuz it was slightly better than I needed on all fronts, but was on a good sale so it was similarly priced to the next step down.

I have a SP1, and I'm not impressed, so no.

Can you enlighten us what's the difference?

The biggest upgrade is probably with the stylus. The SP2 has a good one, surely better than most machines out there. The stylus for the SP3 is several steps up in terms of responsiveness, feel, balance/weight, etc. I'll let someone more well versed in the more technical side of these things expound upon that.

The size/dimension of the 3 is a significant improvement over the predecessors. Reading/working on the old screens with their odd aspect ratios was cumbersome. The SP3 has dimensions much closer to a laptop.

The multi-angle kickstand and magnetic adaptable keyboard let you actually use it on your lap comfortably, unlike the 1 and 2. Granted, it's still not as good in that regard as a laptop.

There are surely other things to speak about, but I'm on my phone currently. While I was not very impressed with the first two iterations of the SP, the SP3 has certainly impressed me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am also currently looking into getting one. The current first years have more surfaces than iPads and they seem to like using them more.

I am about to start clerkships and the thing that will decide which one I'll get is if the surface 3 will fit in a white coat pocket. I get my white coat in two months and I'll find out then.

I would be pretty surprised if the Surface fit into your white coat pocket unless you have pretty huge pockets. The iPad Mini with a fairly small case fits snugly in mine and the Surface is significantly larger.

I would be pretty surprised if the Surface fit into your white coat pocket unless you have pretty huge pockets. The iPad Mini with a fairly small case fits snugly in mine and the Surface is significantly larger.
That's what I am worried about. I don't mind if it is taller than the pocket, but wider would be impossible to make it work unless I bribe a grandparent to adjust them (which is just way too much effort).

I recently received a surface 2 (not the pro version) as a gift. Will this be a beneficial gadget for studying in addition to a laptop, or should I sell it for some extra cash and just use a laptop? I am kind of lost as to what type of technology I want to aid in my studying.

Can you enlighten us what's the difference?

Basically on top of what other people have said, the SP1 was created with very little feedback from actual consumers. Then, when it came out, Microsoft had like a billion dollar loss because nobody wanted it. But in subsequent versions, the Surface has made a comeback because Microsoft has been involving focus groups and user feedback in the engineering part of the process.

Good to know! maybe I'll hand-me-down mine to my son and buy me a new one.

Basically on top of what other people have said, the SP1 was created with very little feedback from actual consumers. Then, when it came out, Microsoft had like a billion dollar loss because nobody wanted it. But in subsequent versions, the Surface has made a comeback because Microsoft has been involving focus groups and user feedback in the engineering part of the process.

I recently received a surface 2 (not the pro version) as a gift. Will this be a beneficial gadget for studying in addition to a laptop, or should I sell it for some extra cash and just use a laptop? I am kind of lost as to what type of technology I want to aid in my studying.
Surface Pro should be able to be your laptop, unless you do really extreme stuff with it.

This advice is regarding tablets in general. I have an iPad mini and a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. I use the mini for programs that are optimized for Apple like lab software and our exam software, and I am sure it will be useful once rotations start, but most of its time is spent as a paperweight for now.

The note 10.1 is fantastic, and I can't imagine going back to pen and paper notes after switching to a tablet with digitizer. There is a night and day difference from capacitive tablets and digitizer ones for taking notes, and writing digitally on the handouts instead of on printouts yields much higher quality notes that are much more organized. The input is superb on a digitizer, I can use my fingers to zoom and move the "paper" around fluidly as I write. I also love the ability to have multiple windows on the Note. Obviously you are looking at a higher end machine that will cost about twice as much and won't have some of the downsides of the note (occasional crashes, occasional lag, it is a mobile device, not a pull fledged PC like the Surface Pro). My brother has the Pro 3 and he loves it. I looked into it quite a bit when he asked me about it and it basically seems like a high end version of the Note(which is a high end tablet itself). If the money is not an issue, that tablet should serve you well for quite a few years.

What I would NOT recommend is the non pro Surface if you plan to take notes. It lacks the digitizer input. You would get far more bang for your buck with a Note which is a dedicated note taking device than a non pro Surface.

I'm a huge SP3 fanboy and came from a macbook pro. I even do written hw assignments on it now and print because my work is so much more neat. However, there are a couple things that bug me about switching to it. The device itself is great, it's just that using it for all writing and hw is a problem, if you're at home consulting the internet.

First, the aspect ratio is great for normal use and makes taking notes even better. However, projecting to a 2nd monitor absolutely sucks. This is the way I normally use it at home. Also, using it this way with work on one screen, browsers or whatever on the second screen is fine, until you want to write on it. It's doable, but always caused me issues.

At this point in the academic year, I'd wait to see what the SP4 brings. I don't know how much better it can be than the SP3 because the changes between SP2 and 3 were huge. Surely it can't get much smaller.

Finally, I call it a laptop that can be a great productivity tablet. I've never owned an iPad, but it's not that. It's not nearly as comfortable to use if you're using it for the classic iPad media consumption. It is a super powerful productivity tool though.

I have an iPad and can't seem to figure out how to write on it correctly (I can't press down with the stylus in a way that produces non-huge letters); is this a problem I would also have with the SP3? Any ideas?

I have an iPad and can't seem to figure out how to write on it correctly (I can't press down with the stylus in a way that produces non-huge letters); is this a problem I would also have with the SP3? Any ideas?
iPads use capacitive touch. The SP3 (and many other Win8.1 tabPCs) have digitizers in their screens and thus can use both capacitive input (such as your finger) and, importantly, active styli such as n-Trig. This is a HUGE difference.

With active styli, first of all, you can see where you are going to touch before you actually bring pen to screen. I find that this helps with precision.
Second, it has palm rejection. Write like you would on paper...your SP3 or other computer will only accept the input from the pen while you're using it, leaving you free to lay your whole damn arm across the screen if that's comfortable for you.
Third, they can draw much finer lines. Many models even have pressure sensitivity - the harder you push, the broader the line, just like pencil.

The difference between regular (capacitive) touch or stylus input and active stylus input is astounding. Totally not the same beast.

i currently use SP3 in med school. Its pretty good and convenient, but it still has its draw backs. If Microsoft manage to get Wacom to work together again it would be a lot better. There's still a lot of improvement needed for N-trig.

i currently use SP3 in med school. Its pretty good and convenient, but it still has its draw backs. If Microsoft manage to get Wacom to work together again it would be a lot better. There's still a lot of improvement needed for N-trig.
Interesting...I should try it out, see how much variation there is between tabPC brands. I have an Acer with a digitizer, and it's wonderful! My only wish is that one of the buttons could trigger it to behave like a normal touch, or enable simultaneous capacitive input. Instead of 'click a button → random stylus function' I'd prefer 'click a button → can use my off hand to maneuver the zoom/positioning for a second.'

Just did some research today and I'm pretty set on pre-ordering the surface 3 (not pro) with my tax refund. Seems to hit the right spot between awesome and affordable. I'll still have a perfectly good laptop at home, so this is really just something to carry when I'm out and about. Microsoft said it would ship by May 5

it's yea or nay not yay or nay why does everyone get this wrong

i'm also debating on surface pro 4 vs surface 3... i guess i'll give it a few days

Also waiting for Surface pro 4, if it doesn't come out before August, I'm getting the pro 3.

FWIW some medical schools include a laptop ("free") in your tuition. If you end up being accepted off the waitlist for ex. that would suck. Just keep your options open people, as others have noted the SP4 is coming out soon anyway...I'd also recommend the XPS13 as a general laptop (dat screen).

Just did some research today and I'm pretty set on pre-ordering the surface 3 (not pro) with my tax refund. Seems to hit the right spot between awesome and affordable. I'll still have a perfectly good laptop at home, so this is really just something to carry when I'm out and about. Microsoft said it would ship by May 5
Terrible choice. If you are getting a 500 dollar tablet, get a galaxy note. The functionality of a screen that can tell the difference between your fingers and the digitizer stylus cannot be understated.

Edit: When my classmates who are using capacitive tablets see what my note 10.1 can do, they are amazed/envious of its abilities.

Edit: I was mistaken, it appears that it does have a digitizer.

Last edited:
Terrible choice. If you are getting a 500 dollar tablet, get a galaxy note. The functionality of a screen that can tell the difference between your fingers and the digitizer stylus cannot be understated.

Edit: When my classmates who are using capacitive tablets see what my note 10.1 can do, they are amazed/envious of its abilities.
Except the surface 3's screen behaves just like the pro and responds to the same pen with palm rejection. Plus it runs the full Windows 8.1 OS and is upgradable to Windows 10.

Except the surface 3's screen behaves just like the pro and responds to the same pen with palm rejection. Plus it runs the full Windows 8.1 OS and is upgradable to Windows 10.
So, it has a digitizer screen? That would be new for non pro, but if that is true it would be fine.

Last edited:
That is not possible. The surface 3 has a capacitive screen only. The palm rejection is an attempt to mimic the true palm rejection on the pro 3. The surface 3 is not close to the quality of the pro 3.

I think I'm a bit confused. I can't find anything that says there's a difference in pen behavior and the official site says there is Palm Block Technology and 256 levels of pressure sensitivity.

"With palm rejection and the silky feel of the pen on the screen you will feel right at home taking notes using OneNote."(http://assistivetek.blogspot.com/2015/04/a-week-with-surface-3-first-impressions.html)

"The third sense is at the time of writing. The touch of the stylus on the screen is identical to the the Pro 3, just drag to simulate the use of a pen on paper. In what little I've been able to prove it does not detect delay between the stroke and the pencil. If you notice, if we pressed lot (unnecessarily), halo forming in Pro 3."(http://www.microsofttranslator.com/.../wintablet.info/2015/04/probamos-el-surface-3)

I think I'm a bit confused. I can't find anything that says there's a difference in pen behavior and the official site says there is Palm Block Technology and 256 levels of pressure sensitivity.

"With palm rejection and the silky feel of the pen on the screen you will feel right at home taking notes using OneNote."(http://assistivetek.blogspot.com/2015/04/a-week-with-surface-3-first-impressions.html)

"The third sense is at the time of writing. The touch of the stylus on the screen is identical to the the Pro 3, just drag to simulate the use of a pen on paper. In what little I've been able to prove it does not detect delay between the stroke and the pencil. If you notice, if we pressed lot (unnecessarily), halo forming in Pro 3."(http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http://wintablet.info/2015/04/probamos-el-surface-3)
I was mistaken, apparently they now have a digitizer in non pro. That vastly changes its value and negates what i said

I was mistaken, apparently they now have a digitizer in non pro. That vastly changes its value and negates what i said

What app do you use to take notes on your note? I have a note 10.1 myself but I'm not sure what's best to use for PDF annotation. I use Adobe Reader for now which is okay but not the best. How do you cope with the pen itself? Do you find it gets tiring after a full days note taking?

I have a question about the SP3/4 screen size. I've been using a 15" laptop for years now, will the SP3 12" screen make a big difference? Does anyone have experience making this switch? Thanks!

I have a question about the SP3/4 screen size. I've been using a 15" laptop for years now, will the SP3 12" screen make a big difference? Does anyone have experience making this switch? Thanks!
I've definitely noticed differences in the past when switching between 13" and 15" laptop screens. However, my most recent transition was from a 15" laptop to a (non-Surface) high resolution touchscreen laptop, and it actually felt better, not worse. I think the higher screen resolution and the versatility of the touch interface goes a long way towards uncramping the smaller screen.

I don't have any firsthand knowledge on the Surface other than it seems like a nice tablet BUT if anyone is going to buy one and still has a .edu email address, you should sign up for Best Buy's college student deals. They have a coupon for $100 off an i5 or i7 surface pro 3 or $50 off a surface 3. Just sign up on their website and they will email you the coupons. That sounds like a great deal to me! This is the link - I hope it works. If I can't link it for whatever reason, let me know and I'll take it down. I'm not affiliated.

I personally have the Lenovo yoga 2 pro and what's nice is it has a keyboard that can be flipped back 360 degrees to turn it into a tablet and a touchscreen. It's great and light for laptop use but it's a bit bulky and/or hard to hold with the keyboard there if you just want to use it as a tablet when standing all day. Just my two cents : )

I have it for my engineering classes and I HATE it. Luckily I bought a mac alongside it. Buy a real laptop and forgo the touch screen capabilities, its overrated IMHO.

I don't have any firsthand knowledge on the Surface other than it seems like a nice tablet BUT if anyone is going to buy one and still has a .edu email address, you should sign up for Best Buy's college student deals. They have a coupon for $100 off an i5 or i7 surface pro 3 or $50 off a surface 3. Just sign up on their website and they will email you the coupons. That sounds like a great deal to me! This is the link - I hope it works. If I can't link it for whatever reason, let me know and I'll take it down. I'm not affiliated.

I personally have the Lenovo yoga 2 pro and what's nice is it has a keyboard that can be flipped back 360 degrees to turn it into a tablet and a touchscreen. It's great and light for laptop use but it's a bit bulky and/or hard to hold with the keyboard there if you just want to use it as a tablet when standing all day. Just my two cents : )
Good tips.
And the latter...that's why I went with the Acer. When it's in tab mode, the keyboard is covered. And it's got some cool in-between modes where I can type/use the mouse, but also easily just grab the stylus and go to work, since the screen is hovering above the keyboard!

I have it for my engineering classes and I HATE it. Luckily I bought a mac alongside it. Buy a real laptop and forgo the touch screen capabilities, its overrated IMHO.
Or skip the Surface, but buy a real laptop that also happens to have touch screen capabilities!

Or skip the Surface, but buy a real laptop that also happens to have touch screen capabilities!
Ya I am just an Apple fan. Buy a laptop that is durable and will last with a touch screen. I just notice a lot of the Fujitsu laptops/touchscreens break within a couple years. My anecdote/n=1.

Ya I am just an Apple fan. Buy a laptop that is durable and will last with a touch screen. I just notice a lot of the Fujitsu laptops/touchscreens break within a couple years. My anecdote/n=1.
Huh. Never heard of Fujitsu, not once in my entire life. Seriously, I just specifically went out to buy a laptop, did a ton of online research...never seen that brand. Maybe it's a regional thing? Sounds like there's a reason they wouldn't be mainstream :laugh:

The way I look at it, a SP3 or SP4 is not going to make an 'A' any easier to get. Get whatever fits your budget.

Surface basically is a laptop with tablet functionality. However, the lack of a firm keyboard is a weakness. I would personally wait to see what the SP4 brings. I have a lenovo, but when I get a new computer in a couple years I'll probably check out the Surface lineup and whatever iteration is rocking at that point.

Huh. Never heard of Fujitsu, not once in my entire life. Seriously, I just specifically went out to buy a laptop, did a ton of online research...never seen that brand. Maybe it's a regional thing? Sounds like there's a reason they wouldn't be mainstream :laugh:
You would think I am from Japan right? lol

Surface basically is a laptop with tablet functionality. However, the lack of a firm keyboard is a weakness. I would personally wait to see what the SP4 brings. I have a lenovo, but when I get a new computer in a couple years I'll probably check out the Surface lineup and whatever iteration is rocking at that point.
It's a laptop with tablet functionality, but as you said, without some of the key input systems. I like having a touchscreen, but I use it as a supplement, not my main input method. That's why I steered away from it (and sounds as if it's why you did as well). I was super into the Surface idea when it came out, but I honestly think that a lot of the 2nd party PC manufacturers did a better job at integrating the two concepts than MS.

I like mine because I can rest it on my lap firmly, but I can maneuver the screen anywhere I want, at any angle I want, either leaving keyboard and mouse open, going more for tablet mode, or actually hovering the touchscreen over my hands while typing/mousing so that I can jot quick notes/diagrams. To me, that was better than what the Surface had to offer.
848593-c4b67aae-7a5a-11e4-9a17-a60da2231e19.jpg

PS - almost went Lenovo solely for the Trackpoint (the little eraser-nub mouse in the middle of the keyboard). I freaking LOVE those things, they're the perfect system!

Last edited:
Just to chime in with a bit of an update. There is a rumor going around that the SP4 is to be announced Mid-May, so the release date would likely be mid-summer or early fall. If you have decided to go with a Surface Pro, I'd wait it out for the SP4, if nothing else than to get the new generation of processor.

I have SP1 - and I love it. I don't do anything with it except school work but it's small, classy looking and does everything you need a computer to do (they kind of advertise it as tablet that replaces the computer).
I really want a SP3 or 4 that's coming - but I can't justify spending that extra when the SP1 works fine for me - but if I did not have a SP1 - I would totally go for the SP3 right after SP4 is released)