surgeons + video games = awesomeness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had a feeling my video gaming skills would serve me well.

In general, I like this article, and maybe I can buy a Wii after boards. I just don't like the lack of research on this point:

While surgeons may benefit from playing video games, the study did not give parents a pass if their children play the games for hours on end.

I've already told my parents I'd blame them if I'm not great at surgery only since they never allowed us to have video games in the house growing up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally have an excuse to play WoW!! woohoooo! :laugh:

There's never an excuse to play WoW. Play a man's game instead--I suggest Ninja Gaiden.

We can thank Street Fighter for my mad skills.

I think they are talking about games with more hand eye coordination than WoW. Perhaps try something where you are piloting something through tight confines.

or maybe that nintendo wii game where you're a surgeon and you make ridiculous doctor poses and say things like "its time to begin the surgery" :laugh:

or maybe that nintendo wii game where you're a surgeon and you make ridiculous doctor poses and say things like "its time to begin the surgery" :laugh:

There is one of those? Nice. I'm going to beg my brother to buy it so that I can play.

My housemate is a urology resident; he spends all evening playing various PS3 and Wii games...he calls it "training". He wants to do a robotics fellowship when he finishes residency.

dc

I was one of the students involved in helping with the research at Beth Israel. The games we used were Super Monkey Ball, Star Wars Racer, and Silent Scope. This study, however, is based on survey data regarding previous video game play. The research has been publicized before, but I think the most recent wave of attention is due to its publication in Archives of Surgery in February.

i knew i played 8 hours of halo a day in college for a reason!!:laugh:

looks my level 26 in halo xbox live might help me out in the future! the only thing that would suck is if surgery turned out to be inverted rather than default!

Members don't see this ad :)

sorry braluk, but that game really sucked. give people three surgeries and that game is under the couch collecting dust in their living rooms. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

looks my level 26 in halo xbox live might help me out in the future! the only thing that would suck is if surgery turned out to be inverted rather than default!

I listed my WoW and Halo levels on my CV, that and my golf handicap

It's called Trauma Center. I want a Wii so I can play that and Tennis. =) Super Monkey Ball is fun too.

I know someone who pulled a muscle playin the tennis game on Wii....sorry, but that is very funny. :laugh:

sorry braluk, but that game really sucked. give people three surgeries and that game is under the couch collecting dust in their living rooms. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

It was fun for a little while, but it's too easy. I mean, come on, how come they get to use that cure-all powder that instantly heals cuts, even?

There is no better game than Tempest. Yes, I'm showing my age, but it involves tremendous hand/eye coordination and being able to process tons of things happening at once.

My favorite on the NES was River City Ransom. Awesome, awesome game.
I remember the name, but don't remember the game. Time to bust out the old NES (I probably have that game in my collection....)

EDIT: Looked it up on Wikipedia. Looks like a Double Dragon clone (I dumped tons of quarters into ARCADE (The NES version was lame) Double Dragon back in the day) but I will still have to refresh my memory by busting out the NES.

It was fun for a little while, but it's too easy. I mean, come on, how come they get to use that cure-all powder that instantly heals cuts, even?

seriously, that's such bs

I remember the name, but don't remember the game. Time to bust out the old NES (I probably have that game in my collection....)

EDIT: Looked it up on Wikipedia. Looks like a Double Dragon clone (I dumped tons of quarters into ARCADE (The NES version was lame) Double Dragon back in the day) but I will still have to refresh my memory by busting out the NES.

Save you the trouble:
http://www.everyvideogame.com/

It's better with two players on the real deal though. The game is like DD in terms of fighting, but you pick up cash from fallen enemies and buy food and weapons to improve your abilities, so it's a bit of a role-playing hybrid.

Play Guitar Hero 2 on Hard or Expert and you will be the best surgeon you can be.

I would be interested to see this study done with gastroenterologists, who use scopes and video on nearly all their procedures. The time to the TI would be a nice measurement.

From now on playing Halo or Gears of War is not wasting time, it is preparing myself for a GI fellowship. Since GI is so competitive now, I need any advantage I can get.

Interviewer: So what makes you a good applicant for our fellowship?

Me: I have beat both Halo 1 and 2 on legendary and GOW on Insane.

Interviewer: When can you start?:laugh:

Haha i woudlnt know Ive never played it, i just hear its good for laughs for premeds for a little while then gets old loll. How are you man? I got ur voicemail, sorry to hear the bad news but also excited for the good news. Let me know if anything changes

Pirate Poppers. You can download a free trial version. its great for eye-hand coordination... and whoever commented on the ninja gaiden only men thing...come on! thats distributed by nintendo, same company that makes pikmin and super monkey ball..

OR...you could just learn to play a real guitar

You could. But would you ever really be able to play songs like Free Bird on a real guitar?

You could. But would you ever really be able to play songs like Free Bird on a real guitar?

play some jazz guitar. “freebird” is just pentatonics like many songs, the guitar solo is not that bad. I am currently practicing the “giant steps” version of Joe Pass. that’s a little tougher, anyways, this is a completely different subject so ill stop there hehe

As a matter of fact, I can. Im just sayin, the chics are way more impressed when you whip out a real guitar than Guitar Hero II.

But who's to say the better surgeons just didn't have better hand-eye coordination and manipulative skills to begin with? Maybe that's why they play video games more frequently...because it's something they're good at, and we all enjoy doing things we're good at. If you have bad hand-eye coordination and can't work a controller, why would you play video games at all?

As a matter of fact, I can. Im just sayin, the chics are way more impressed when you whip out a real guitar than Guitar Hero II.

Thats why I have both.

I'm a bf2 *****.

And I'm interested in EM, just like our uncle Panda.

I guess that's appropriate.

Twitch => CounterStrike :thumbup:

seems like first person shooters would be best for precision and split second action.

Oh no. You didn't just compare DD to the cult awesomeness that is RCR... ;)

Seems to me that actual-guitar skill is an impediment to playing GH. The real guitar wizards I know personally all have had a pretty hard time trying to play GH. I can play a little, but nowhere near well enough for it to handcap my mad GH skillz. :p

Seems to me that actual-guitar skill is an impediment to playing GH. The real guitar wizards I know personally all have had a pretty hard time trying to play GH. I can play a little, but nowhere near well enough for it to handcap my mad GH skillz. :p

HaHa. I agree. My husband (the same one I lost to WOW) is an amazing guitar player and he tried playing GH at an arcade and damn near through the thing! He hates it:laugh:

I'm waiting for the research study that shows that playing Dungeons and Dragons is helpful for neurologists.

But who's to say the better surgeons just didn't have better hand-eye coordination and manipulative skills to begin with? Maybe that's why they play video games more frequently...because it's something they're good at, and we all enjoy doing things we're good at. If you have bad hand-eye coordination and can't work a controller, why would you play video games at all?

All this data refers to is that, of the surgeons who took part in a laparoscopic skills course, the ones with survey data showing around 1-3 hours of gameplay per week in the past scored higher in various tests of laparoscopic skill. We've been working on one where we make the surgeons warm-up with some games before they do the course to see what happens.

OR...you could just learn to play a real guitar

Playing guitar tears up the tips of your fret hand fingers. Something I considered when selling my guitars to buy a keyboard.

Playing guitar tears up the tips of your fret hand fingers. Something I considered when selling my guitars to buy a keyboard.

I prefer keyboard/piano as well. Not that I don't enjoy listening to someone who knows how to play a guitar well. :D

They callous up if you play long enough and often. That wouldn't influence dexterity though

seriously, get far enough into the game and youll think differently when aliens start popping out of your patient's body etc.

I've only played it for the DS, I think it would be far less entertaining without using the stylus to make cuts etc..

seriously, get far enough into the game and youll think differently when aliens start popping out of your patient's body etc.

I've only played it for the DS, I think it would be far less entertaining without using the stylus to make cuts etc..

I've played both, and I actually prefer using the Wiimote.

(Kicking myself because I didn't mention my video game habit on the Hobbies section of ERAS.) :smuggrin: