surgery away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yregurs99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year medical student in a US MD program (mid tier med school). Currently doing my surgery rotation and I am starting to really like it. I need advice on what away rotations to apply to. My step 1 is a 227 and I have a 7 publications with 3 as first authors. With a mediocre step score I would like to do audition where I have a shot at getting accepted.

I would like a program where I could do a fellowship in the future and I am looking forward to living in the midwest region. Do i still have a shot at good academic programs? One of the M4s who applied for surgery this year says that the step 1 cut off is a 230 for surgery and I would like to avoid these places for auditioning. Also how many away rotations do you guys recommend? Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Your step and publication history are fine. Usual cut off is 220. 3-5 auditions.

I am a 3rd year medical student in a US MD program (mid tier med school). Currently doing my surgery rotation and I am starting to really like it. I need advice on what away rotations to apply to. My step 1 is a 227 and I have a 7 publications with 3 as first authors. With a mediocre step score I would like to do audition where I have a shot at getting accepted.

I would like a program where I could do a fellowship in the future and I am looking forward to living in the midwest region. Do i still have a shot at good academic programs? One of the M4s who applied for surgery this year says that the step 1 cut off is a 230 for surgery and I would like to avoid these places for auditioning. Also how many away rotations do you guys recommend? Any advice is greatly appreciated :)[/QUOTE

You will be fine. I recommend doing 2-3 aways. They are basically a month long interview and will get exhausting. It's hard to do 5 and shine. I had a similar step 1 and publications as you and got plenty of interviews. You don't have to go to an academic powerhouse for fellowships unless you wanna do peds. But with your score it's totally possible to go to an academic program in the midwest, if that is your goal. Just make sure your letters are great!

Members don't see this ad :)

I would like a program where I could do a fellowship in the future and I am looking forward to living in the midwest region. Do i still have a shot at good academic programs? One of the M4s who applied for surgery this year says that the step 1 cut off is a 230 for surgery and I would like to avoid these places for auditioning. Also how many away rotations do you guys recommend? Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

I did 2 away rotations as a 4th year. I wouldn't do any more than that. Away rotations can help, but they can also really hurt. You don't know what places have any specific cut off. Just because a place says their cut off is 230, they may not get enough, so they make it 225 or 220. You are competitive with the publications, so I'm not sure I would worry all that much. Talk with your school faculty. Places they might have connections with can be good for you, particularly if they will put in a good word for you.

It’s interesting to me how opinions divide so widely. At my institution, the advice every resident and faculty member gives is to not do away rotations, at least not for the purpose of matching at a specific place. I was told it might be useful for the experience, to see another institution and experience rotations you otherwise wouldn’t.

. I need advice on what away rotations to apply to.
Also how many away rotations do you guys recommend?

You should be fine. Look at your school's match list and see where students from your school have matched in recent years. Midwest has plenty of programs to choose from. What do you want? Larger city or smaller, Level I Trauma or no trauma? University or Community?
I did 4 away rotations and got interviews at all 4, but I agree with above, 3-5 is typical for those trying to prove themselves. Very competitive people (Step 1/2 250+/250+) don't really need to do them, as they can do more harm than good.