Surgery block as TY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imronburgandy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've matched into a TY + Derm, but start out on surgery and am kind of worried. I took a year of research and have only had a few rotations in the last year. Is there anyone with some guidance/insight on what a surgery block is like in a TY year? I'm assuming it's less surgery and more taking care of patients compared to Med student rotations. Or is there a specific route of preparation people suggest (books, guides, etc)? Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I've matched into a TY + Derm, but start out on surgery and am kind of worried. I took a year of research and have only had a few rotations in the last year. Is there anyone with some guidance/insight on what a surgery block is like in a TY year? I'm assuming it's less surgery and more taking care of patients compared to Med student rotations. Or is there a specific route of preparation people suggest (books, guides, etc)? Thanks for any help!

We sometimes have FM interns rotate on GS at one of our community affiliate hospitals... they usually don't see the inside of the OR (by their choice) but mostly stay and do floor stuff, learn some of the basics of perioperative management and we'll try and get them some practice with bedside procedures like I&Ds, suturing stuff in the ER, etc. That's probably more valuable and relevant to their future career than having them (or you) struggle through a lap chole.

In terms of preparation, you really don't need to know much more than at med student level, just be prepared to do something about it. Typical intern pages are going to be the same no matter the rotation (pain, fever, tachycardia, hypo/pertension, low urine output, etc) but try and be familiar with how these things are different in surgical patients (is their pain just incisional or are they developing peritonitis? What postop day did the patient develop a fever and how does that change management?).