Surgery Prelim for dummies

Started by scully
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

scully

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone going to apply for surgery prelim? Any females? I really liked surgery, and would much rather do that for prelim than medicine, but being a girlie girl, and not at all the surgery type, I am rather scared to apply (because they will laugh at me.) Just wondering what other people might know about this...

Thanks!
 
I feel the same way in that I would much rather spend my intern year in surgery than medicine. That said, I decided to do a transitional year, where I can get a little of everything. Ultimately, if you do decide to do prelim surgery and are serious about it, then I would hope that you wouldn't get laughed at about your decision. Plus, it could be an asset for you if you are at all interested in IR. Good luck!
 
scully said:
Is anyone going to apply for surgery prelim? Any females? I really liked surgery, and would much rather do that for prelim than medicine, but being a girlie girl, and not at all the surgery type, I am rather scared to apply (because they will laugh at me.) Just wondering what other people might know about this...

Thanks!

If you are professional and serious when you apply you might not have a problem.....give good reasons why you want to do a surgery prelim....and don't refer to yourself as a "girlie girl" in your app or during the interview.

Also, you can consider doing a transitional year. I did and had 10 weeks of surgery, plus some Ob/Gyn, Peds, ER, Medicine, etc....and I think it was a good well rounded experience.....I had enough surgery and medicine experience...wouldn't want anymore of either.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks to both. No, I wouldn't go around saying the girl thing. It is just whenever I tell anyone that I would like to do surgery, they seem surprised. (It's not like I am afraid of blood or anything, so I am not sure why.)

I agree that TY is the way to go, but from my understanding the good ones are supercompetitive, being shared by all of the top specialties. For that reason, I thought it wise to have a backup. Vince, are you in TY now? Any advice for good ones in California?
 
scully said:
Thanks to both. No, I wouldn't go around saying the girl thing. It is just whenever I tell anyone that I would like to do surgery, they seem surprised. (It's not like I am afraid of blood or anything, so I am not sure why.)

I agree that TY is the way to go, but from my understanding the good ones are supercompetitive, being shared by all of the top specialties. For that reason, I thought it wise to have a backup. Vince, are you in TY now? Any advice for good ones in California?

try santa clara valley.

p diddy