surgery prelim vs scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cric1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice...I have an option to do a surg prelim at an academic hospital where I will prob end up doing my anesth training...should i go for this or hope to scramble into a prelim med or transitional year program? Will I be at a serious educational disadvantage if I do a prelim surg year?

Members don't see this ad.

You're unlikely to be at an educational disadvantage, because a large part of the surgery intern year is taking care of floor patients (i.e. medical management). IMO, the reason that surgery prelim years are less popular with future anesthesia residents is that the other programs tend to be more benign (medicine) and offer more elective time (transitional).

I would do a TY year. I'm in the middle of mine now, and I've been told (by residents at my future gas program) that residents who do TY's here are well prepared to go to anesthesia. A prelim surgery year means managing electrolytes and wounds on the floor and occasionally holding a camera in the OR. It's better to get some time in cardiology, pulmonology, critical care, and of course anesthesia. These are easier to come by in transitional year. Good luck in the match.