Surgical intern answering questions tonight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimelim

Vascular Surgery
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an Integrated Vascular Surgery intern. I started 1 month ago in ***. I have tried to spend some time when free the last couple of months answering questions here in the pre-med and allopathic forums. I have the next 36 hours off (yay!) and will try to answer any questions people might have. Anything from applications to in med school (school, married in school, aways whatever) to starting out in residency. (or just goofy/random questions that you'd like answered)

I've got a bit of reading to do before having to show up on Sunday, but will try to check in on this thread regularly. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Awesome. But why vascular surgery? Are arteries and veins really cool? Are bones too boring, or maybe you are not a fan of brain surgery?

I am an Integrated Vascular Surgery intern. I started 1 month ago in Houston. I have tried to spend some time when free the last couple of months answering questions here in the pre-med and allopathic forums. I have the next 36 hours off (yay!) and will try to answer any questions people might have. Anything from applications to in med school (school, married in school, aways whatever) to starting out in residency. (or just goofy/random questions that you'd like answered)

I've got a bit of reading to do before having to show up on Sunday, but will try to check in on this thread regularly. :)

Is vascular surgery residency competitive? So if you are in an integrated program, did you skip general surgery residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many times do you have call in a month and how stressful is your work?

I am an Integrated Vascular Surgery intern. I started 1 month ago in Houston. I have tried to spend some time when free the last couple of months answering questions here in the pre-med and allopathic forums. I have the next 36 hours off (yay!) and will try to answer any questions people might have. Anything from applications to in med school (school, married in school, aways whatever) to starting out in residency. (or just goofy/random questions that you'd like answered)

First off I like you residents whom take the time to inform us serious premeds. I really do.... What was your mcat/gpa? Did you have a lot of research? What was your step1/step2 scores? Did you have to do any research in medical school to match into vascular surgery? If so are pubs a must on this level? *How did you study in medical school with a child (I assume you have one)? What do you think is the future for surgery in general? Do you get use to standing long hours like after a while? ( I work in the or and I find it difficult to stand with the gown/mask on and I start to itch and cant scratch) srs I think I covered everything, thanks.:thumbup::)

Awesome. But why vascular surgery? Are arteries and veins really cool? Are bones too boring, or maybe you are not a fan of brain surgery?

I did a lot of wood working and carpentry as a hobby in high school and college. I tried some ortho shadowing... Interesting cases, fun hardware, but something just didn't feel right. Too many tools that just shouldn't be used on the human body, hammers, chisels, saws etc. Just too much brute force for me. I'm sure there are finer aspects like Ortho hand, but it just wasn't for me. I loved my neuro surgery rotation. But, I didn't find that I enjoyed the patient population very much and the craniotomies were just way too long for me. Rotation was good, but I couldn't imagine doing it for my career.

Vascular surgery? Its sexy. When the **** hits the fan, who do you call? Vascular. I like the thought of being the last resort in critical patients. Why really though... Mixture of open procedures and endovascular procedures, a ton of problem solving trying to find the best open, endo or hybrid procedure for a given patient. But mostly, I like the patients. A lot of surgeons hate seeing the same people over and over. The nature of Vascular Surgery is you will never cure your patients. They will keep eating poorly, smoking, not exercising etc. Thus, you will bypass someone, then you will angio them, then you will stent them, then you will angio, then angio again, stent again, then amputate a toe, then a foot, then their leg. You develop a relationship with them. A lot of surgeons hate this concept. They would rather 'fix' someone and never see them again. While it can be frustrating or even infuriating, I like getting to know my patients.

Is vascular surgery residency competitive? So if you are in an integrated program, did you skip general surgery residency?

Last year, by some measures Vascular Surgery was the most competitive residency (mainly % US grads filling positions). By board scores it is a hair below below Plastics and Derm. However, it is much smaller than either of those, so take that with a grain of salt. Integrated programs are new. The oldest is only 5 years old. My program is only 1 year old. We do not do a separate gen surg residency, instead we do 24 months of general surgery, 24 months of research and then 36 months of vascular surgery, all mixed into 7 years. Overall, it saves about 2 years off the old pathway since most competitive general surgery programs are 5 years clinical and 2 years research.

Thanks so much for taking time to do this, people like you are the reason I still visit this site so often. :) Are there very many female residents in your program? If so, are they usually unattached and childless? I think vascular surgery is really awesome, but I'm concerned that the length of the residency combined with the hours could be detrimental to a family life. Do you think it's possible to manage both, or do most female surgical residents wait til residency is over before having children?

Thanks so much for doing this. I'm interested in surgery and would love to hear more about your opinions.

1) Why and about what did you not like about "neuro surgery patient populations?"

2) Did you have any surgery-like or related hands-on experiences in undergrad, where it requires focus and precision? In other words, what experiences in undergrad or even medical school help you go through learning surgery?

3) I would also love to get to know my patients, and I think you also have similar values. Are there other types of surgery that you know your patients well longitudinally?

4) What about surgery attracted you? Precision? Repetition in pursuit of perfection? You can get to know your patients over time in other medical careers as well, such as nurses who spend more time.

Thank you!

How many times do you have call in a month and how stressful is your work?

The new intern work hours are a bit funky. We are capped at 80 hours a week, averaged over a month. We also can not work more than 16 hours straight, must have 10 hours off between shifts and must have 4 days off a month. We don't have true call. As a non-intern resident, we have q4 call as there are 2 residents per class and there is always a junior and senior resident in house.

I have between 20 and 35 patients at any given time. I always have another junior resident and a fellow that I can ask questions and get help with doing stuff, but I am largely expected to run the floors and keep track of our ICU patients (not hourly things, but big picture stuff for ICU people). 90% of the stress is not medicine related. Calling other doctors that are 20+ years older than me about their patient, keeping track of the 50+ things on my to do list, keeping track of 5 simultaneous ORs, 4 fellows, 3 residents and what needs to get done on patients that are rapidly evolving is taxing. People are very demanding and when you make mistakes (which everyone does), bad things can happen. Best case (99% of the time), someone catches you, yells at you and you learn something. Worst case, someone gets hurt because of something you did. It is emotionally taxing, but you are really too busy to realize it until the end of the day.

First off I like you residents whom take the time to inform us serious premeds. I really do.... What was your mcat/gpa? Did you have a lot of research? What was your step1/step2 scores? Did you have to do any research in medical school to match into vascular surgery? If so are pubs a must on this level? *How did you study in medical school with a child (I assume you have one)? What do you think is the future for surgery in general? Do you get use to standing long hours like after a while? ( I work in the or and I find it difficult to stand with the gown/mask on and I start to itch and cant scratch) srs I think I covered everything, thanks.:thumbup::)

My undergrad stats were 3.4 / 39+. I was a prototypical Physics major and lab rat. I worked ~40 hours a week in the lab for 3 of my undergrad years. I interviewed at every school I applied, HMS, Hopkins, Wash U etc. I would say what got me interviews was my personal statement, NOT my MCAT or my research. Everyone wanted to know about problem solving, being able to organize and focus a research/work team and how I would making their school/hospital better. Anecdotal, but food for thought.

My step scores were 240+ for both. I was average among people applying to the programs that I did. Certainly did not blow anyone out of the water with them, but enough to get my application looked at. I only had one publication in Vascular Surgery when I applied for residency. Most programs aren't looking for someone who is incredibly research oriented. They want to know that you know what it means to be a vascular surgeon. They want to make sure that you are as committed as possible to becoming a vascular surgeon. Research is a good starting point, but nobody expects you to spend most your time in the lab. MS3/4 is just too busy to get a lot of meaningful work done. I would say that doing research really helped me learn to read angios, which has paid a lot of dividends on the wards.

Now in residency, I have to have a minimum 2 publications a year while being a clinical resident and have 2 years of dedicated time as a research resident. The research residents last year published 18 and 10 publications each in one year. Most programs do not have these kinds of requirements, but it forces you to be working on projects while taking care of patients. I'm not sold on it being that useful, but I'm very early in the process.

I will have been married for 3 years in 4 days. No children, my wife is in law school. We are too busy to even be thinking kids. I have a fellow resident who has a kid and all of the fellows have kids. The one resident (female) with a kid has a husband who is a primary school teacher and has at least some free time to spend with their child. The fellow's spouses are home makers. I don't know how two professionals do it. I feel like we would be incapable of being good parents working as many hours as we do, but obviously there are people that do it!

I rarely sit during the day and don't notice it anymore. When you are busy and focused, you don't notice the abuse that you put your body through and you get stronger as things go on. A lot of surgeons now wear compression stocking to help with venous blood return. I haven't gotten there yet, but my ankles are definitely swollen at the end of the day. I don't mind the gown/mask and you don't itch as much when you are doing things in the OR (instead of just watching), but yes it does absolutely SUCK when it does happen. What I hate is eventually with my lead and gown on I get hot and my nose gets a little moist/sweaty. Then my glasses start to slide down. Drives me nuts. I end up using the corner of various objects to put my glasses further up on my head. It looks stupid, but it fixes the problem XD.

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to answer questions. My only question is what's up with the rocket science badge next to your username? :)

Thanks so much for taking time to do this, people like you are the reason I still visit this site so often. :) Are there very many female residents in your program? If so, are they usually unattached and childless? I think vascular surgery is really awesome, but I'm concerned that the length of the residency combined with the hours could be detrimental to a family life. Do you think it's possible to manage both, or do most female surgical residents wait til residency is over before having children?

We have 1 female resident who is married and has a 9 month old. She had her child when she was doing a research year (started her research year when ~36 weeks pregnant, ie was operating/functioning in the hospital up to then. All of the integrated residencies, Plastics, CT, Vascular etc are faster than the conventional general surgery pathway. They save you at least 2 years of time and cut out a lot of the rotations that don't really add much to your education. There are 6 female residents in our general surgery residency (out of 20 total). I think 2 of them have kids. Do not be mistaken, residency is detrimental to a family life. Surgical residencies are worse than others. It is a lifestyle choice and not one to be made lightly. But, if you are well organized and don't need to be with your child all day every day to feel like you are a good parent, it is doable. I have heard about it and seen it. It is hard, but manageable and easier if your spouse is at least a little less busy than you!

Thanks so much for doing this. I'm interested in surgery and would love to hear more about your opinions.

1) Why and about what did you not like about "neuro surgery patient populations?"

2) Did you have any surgery-like or related hands-on experiences in undergrad, where it requires focus and precision? In other words, what experiences in undergrad or even medical school help you go through learning surgery?

3) I would also love to get to know my patients, and I think you also have similar values. Are there other types of surgery that you know your patients well longitudinally?

4) What about surgery attracted you? Precision? Repetition in pursuit of perfection? You can get to know your patients over time in other medical careers as well, such as nurses who spend more time.

Thank you!

1) Neuro surgery patients in my experience (limited) are hard to interact with. Many are gorked 99% of the time and of the ones that aren't, few come out doing extremely well. I felt like everyone I was treating was in dire straights and unlikely to reach a good functional outcome. Don't get me wrong, many did very well all things considered, but they were very different after their surgeries. It is hard to explain really =/.

2) I have always liked working with my hands, wood working, building things etc. I don't think that it has helped my directly in terms of technical skill, but spatial reasoning wise it is night and day. I did not start actively preparing for things done in the OR until my MS2 year. In the end, basic surgical skills are all about repetition. When in class, I would tie knots all lecture. I made myself suture every weekend to keep my skills up. I would time myself doing various basic tasks and try to drop my speed, increase my accuracy and eliminate errors. If you have a system, and you work hard, you will see improvement, no matter what God given talent you have.

3) Any surgeon that operates on cancer patients 'owns' their patient. ENT - head and neck tumor surgeons, surgical oncology, breast, colorectal etc. have long term relationships with their patients. They don't do as many procedures on their patients as we do, but once they operate, they take care of their patients until they move states or die. Same goes for transplant.

4) Relentless pursuit of excellence and efficiency. We round for 45 minutes on our entire service. This requires every person on the team to know their role and prepare appropriately. I hate rounding all day and doing mental masturbation which is what I think internal medicine rounding sometimes turns into. It isn't most internal medicine doctors, but there are a reasonable number that want to spend 30 minutes a patient talking about gory details that in the end are for the sake of talking about a patient, not management. That just isn't me. I need the time pressure. I need to have my day broken up by procedures. I need to feel like what I'm doing every second matters. (definitely NOT reality, but thats the goal.

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to answer questions. My only question is what's up with the rocket science badge next to your username? :)

The rocket scientist logo is for anyone that has an engineering or physics background :). I built model rockets as a kid, by high school I needed to go to launches that had FAA clearance because of altitude and motor power. Ended up majoring in Physics. I hated mathematics and could have never made it beyond undergraduate Physics and ended up doing medicine because of the sheer number of problems needing to be solved (that didn't require me standing next to a chalk board all day).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for taking the opportunity to do this. Did you take any research years off? What was your killer PS about?

how did u find your wife? how do u manage to spend time together (srs question)

How could you possibly have 18 publications in one year...

The Yale 3rd year vascular resident had 60+ in 2 years. Keep in mind that case reports, literature reviews and database based papers count as publications. Clinical publications often are based on data that was generated by other physicians over a long period of time at a hospital and is simply tabulated and published by residents/younger faculty.

Thank you for taking the opportunity to do this. Did you take any research years off? What was your killer PS about?

I went straight through from HS to undergrad to medical school to residency and did not take dedicated time off. I never saw the point, I couldn't find something that I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing so I didn't want to take the time. Now I will take 2 years to do research in my residency.

My PS was about problem solving and production. The theme was, when you put me on a team, productivity goes up and things get done. From teaching pre-meds Physics to the lab to rock climbing, I billed myself as someone that could take minimal instruction and figure out ways to optimize things. (in short...)

how did u find your wife? how do u manage to spend time together (srs question)

We were neighbors on our freshman floor in college. We are climbing partners, we like the same TV shows, we like the same foods etc. When we have time off, what I want to do is goof off and eat the food I want to eat. My wife wants to do the same things, so when she has free time at the same time as me, we just go out and do stuff. All about shared interests :)

How much are you predicted to earn per year?

The Yale 3rd year vascular resident had 60+ in 2 years. Keep in mind that case reports, literature reviews and database based papers count as publications. Clinical publications often are based on data that was generated by other physicians over a long period of time at a hospital and is simply tabulated and published by residents/younger faculty.

I went straight through from HS to undergrad to medical school to residency and did not take dedicated time off. I never saw the point, I couldn't find something that I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing so I didn't want to take the time. Now I will take 2 years to do research in my residency.

My PS was about problem solving and production. The theme was, when you put me on a team, productivity goes up and things get done. From teaching pre-meds Physics to the lab to rock climbing, I billed myself as someone that could take minimal instruction and figure out ways to optimize things. (in short...)

We were neighbors on our freshman floor in college. We are climbing partners, we like the same TV shows, we like the same foods etc. When we have time off, what I want to do is goof off and eat the food I want to eat. My wife wants to do the same things, so when she has free time at the same time as me, we just go out and do stuff. All about shared interests :)
Come on now....I understand the case reports and all but 60+ pubs HAS to be the exception and not the norm.

How much are you predicted to earn per year?

The vascular fellows at my medical school were being offered between 250-325k starting salary for private practice positions. Academic pays less.

Come on now....I understand the case reports and all but 60+ pubs HAS to be the exception and not the norm.

Absolutely, the guy was a machine, sleeps only 5 hours a night and is a database monster...

do you have an mdapp?

anyways, since i'm studying for the mcat right now, and we both have similar GPAs, I was wondering how was it you were able to score so high and do so well on the MCAT? i know it's like years ago since you took it. but you have any tips? the MCAT is seriously the only thing that can save me right now and i'm aiming for a 35+

EDIT: also, how hard was it to be married during med school. i know it must take a toll on a relationship. i'm most likely going to be taking ~1-2 years off from undergrad and am strongly considering getting married. that way we can have some time together to build a relationship before i go to med school

Last edited:
What are patients generally like? Are they friendly and have a positive attitude towards physicians or are most of them just plain rude?

Also, when you say academic pays less, how much less does it pay? I realize it varies by specialty but generally how much less is academic?

Do you foresee integrated surgical specialties becoming more competitive in the coming years?

On average, which surgical specialists spend the most time in the OR?

Are most of your colleagues from top medical schools?

Did you feel awkward when you were doing clerkships as a medical student and what's it like to teach medical students now (if you do any teaching)?

What specialty would you have picked if you didn't get into the program you are currently in?

Do you foresee integrated surgical specialties becoming more competitive in the coming years?

They're not competitive enough? Plastics is the most competitive specialty in medicine and vascular isn't far behind.

Thanks for doing this! My dream is to be able to do neurosurgery or even heart (cardiac?) surgery. I've always been fascinated with the brain and heart. I can't see myself being a normal physician just diagnosing patients, I'd rather be more hands on and get immediate results. Do you know many specialized DO surgeons? Are you and your peers more conservative or liberal (politically)?

Thanks so much for doing this, mimelim! It sounds like you knew pretty early on that you wanted to do surgery, but I'll shoot you these questions anyway:

- How did you get to know surgery better early in med school to make sure it was for you?

- How early in med school do you think you need to decide on a particular specialty in order to have enough time to do the research, etc. that is necessary to match into the more competitive fields?

- If someone isn't sure, are there activities/research during the preclinical years that could let them hedge their bets to remain competitive for many different fields? (ideally both surgery and medicine) Or is it important to have fairly field-specific activities/research for the more competitive fields?

That's all for now, hope you enjoy the day off!

do you have an mdapp?

anyways, since i'm studying for the mcat right now, and we both have similar GPAs, I was wondering how was it you were able to score so high and do so well on the MCAT? i know it's like years ago since you took it. but you have any tips? the MCAT is seriously the only thing that can save me right now and i'm aiming for a 35+

EDIT: also, how hard was it to be married during med school. i know it must take a toll on a relationship. i'm most likely going to be taking ~1-2 years off from undergrad and am strongly considering getting married. that way we can have some time together to build a relationship before i go to med school

I do not have an mdapp. I discovered SDN when trying to find info about studying for step 1 and didn't start posting until I was applying for residency. I didn't really use online resources for medical school or applications. The MCAT is a test. Nothing more, and nothing less. Do not over think it or try to learn content when studying for it. Learn how to take the test and then practice, practice, practice. How to take the test... I used Princeton Review books and then both PR and Kaplan materials to practice. My attitude was, I'm a native English speaker, the verbal section should be 'beatable' and so I really tried hard to learn how to read passages quickly without missing content. The books had some tips, but really it was doing a lot of practice and having read for pleasure through undergrad. Physical sciences was my bread and butter because of my Physics background. Biological sciences was my weakest area by far. I think that to improve my score I would have had to learn more biology as an undergrad ahead of time. Unlike the other sections, I thought that it was less thinking, and more, "did you happen to study this topic".

I asked my wife after my first week of internship how she was doing in a new city, knowing nobody, working, but only 9-3pm etc. She told me that she could understand why people break up over medical training. It is lonely, on both sides. Her opinion was that if either party is needy, then things will never work. I tend to agree. We see each other when we can, and when we do, we go out and do things. For example, last night when I was off, we went out to a new Greek restaurant that opened up and then watched a couple episodes of Big Bang Theory until I fell asleep. Today, we are going climbing and then to a movie + early anniversary dinner. The only way I can understand making this work is that both people have to be able to function independently. They have to be able to amuse themselves for days at a time without seeing the other. If they don't have independent activities, interests or hobbies, things just won't work.

What are patients generally like? Are they friendly and have a positive attitude towards physicians or are most of them just plain rude?

Also, when you say academic pays less, how much less does it pay? I realize it varies by specialty but generally how much less is academic?

Patients are 90%+ grateful. There are a fair few that are rude. But, it is all about attitude. One of my attendings told me, "No matter how bad your day is going or how poorly you are being treated, just remember that as a patient in the hospital, they are having a worse day/week/month/year. Nobody comes to the hospital for vacation." When you think about it that way, you see even the most difficult patients differently. They will still be taxing and frustrating, but they won't globally bring you emotionally down.

As for pay, just ball parking the numbers, I'd say for surgery it is a 20-40% pay cut to work in academics. But to be honest, I'm 6 years from looking for a 'real' job. So I'm not a good answer for that :p.

Vascular will likely become slightly less competitive over the next 10 years. Reason, because the number of programs is increasing rapidly. Last year there were ~30 spots, my year there were 41. At least 4 new programs have already opened since I applied, likely there will be ~50 spots this year. That growth won't last forever, and certainly more and more people will become aware of the integrated programs which will increase the number of applicants. I think that it will always be competitive numbers wise, but it isn't as attractive as plastics, ortho or derm on its face, so I think that it will end up residing below those top selective residencies.

How much time you spend in the OR depends on the person more than the specialty. We have a vascular surgeon that did 40+ cases last week. Spends 1 day in clinic (with 3 residents/fellows helping him) and then has NPs doing other clinics to see his follow ups. It is all about how you structure your practice and the location that you are at.

My colleagues come from a mix of schools. I'd say maybe half went to top top USNews schools. The other half is a good mix of less competitive US MD schools.

Did you feel awkward when you were doing clerkships as a medical student and what's it like to teach medical students now (if you do any teaching)?

It is all about attitude. I am always up front with patients about where I am at. I tell them, I've been working hard all my life to be where I am. "I'm at the bottom of the totem pole, but I will try to answer any questions/help you the best I can. However, if I can't, I am very good at asking questions and finding out who to ask. If that happens then both you and I will learn something." Patients have universally appreciated this approach.

What specialty would you have picked if you didn't get into the program you are currently in?

I applied to general surgery and vascular surgery for residency. I am confident that I would have matched at a general surgery program if I hadn't matched vascular.

Thanks for doing this! My dream is to be able to do neurosurgery or even heart (cardiac?) surgery. I've always been fascinated with the brain and heart. I can't see myself being a normal physician just diagnosing patients, I'd rather be more hands on and get immediate results. Do you know many specialized DO surgeons? Are you and your peers more conservative or liberal (politically)?

I do not know any DO surgeons. That doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means that I haven't come across them. My peers are more fiscally conservative on average, but I live in Texas, so it isn't THAT surprising. I'd say they are reasonably liberal/central on social issues. Few people are politically active though and I don't think 90% of them vote (just too damn busy).

Thanks so much for doing this, mimelim! It sounds like you knew pretty early on that you wanted to do surgery, but I'll shoot you these questions anyway:

- How did you get to know surgery better early in med school to make sure it was for you?

- How early in med school do you think you need to decide on a particular specialty in order to have enough time to do the research, etc. that is necessary to match into the more competitive fields?

- If someone isn't sure, are there activities/research during the preclinical years that could let them hedge their bets to remain competitive for many different fields? (ideally both surgery and medicine) Or is it important to have fairly field-specific activities/research for the more competitive fields?

That's all for now, hope you enjoy the day off!

I liked working with my hands in undergrad and immediate results, so I knew that I might be interested in surgery. The summer between MS1 and MS2 I toured a bunch of different departments, spending a week or two shadowing/living the life of a resident on different services. I always ended up gravitating back to the surgical services, trauma in particular. I also saw a lot of myself in the surgical residents/attendings, which made the field more attractive.

To match competitive fields, you should have a vague idea of what you are interested in by the end of MS2. By the end of MS3, you need to know so that you can setup your MS4/aways appropriately for the field you are going into. Research is important in Rads, optho, derm, plastics etc. But it is by no means mandatory. The likelyhood of you (or any medical student) producing something substantial while busy in medical school is limited. It is more a demonstration of extreme interest in a field than anything.

For the pre-clinical years, keep busy. You have weekends and other time off. Volunteer, shadow, do research, work on projects that you are interested in. If you like programing, create things to help students study. If you like volunteering/free clinics, don't just volunteer, figure out how to take the limited resources that the clinics have and serve the local population better. Be proactive and try to improve things beyond the raw number of hours that you showed up and worked. (if that makes any sense...)

Reactions: 1 user
How often do you get to travel or see out of state family members if you have any. Are you able to mantain relationships outside of your residency program?

Thanks for doing this! It's nice for us to have access to a primary perspective in this field and surgery in general.

Which electives did you choose for your rotations and were they geared towards specialized surgery? I'm wondering because you seemed to have a good handle on what you wanted to do. Also, what kinds of publications are counted for these high end surgical residencies? For example, would a publication that you did during undergrad or even a senior thesis count?

How often do you get to travel or see out of state family members if you have any. Are you able to mantain relationships outside of your residency program?

If he's an intern, he's less than one Month into residency. Odds are he hasn't had much time to miss anyone yet. This is still the honeymoon phase of residency.

As lizzy said, I'm 1 month into residency. My parents are coming into town for Christmas and New Years. I told them that they wouldn't get to see me around the holidays otherwise. Likely I will be able to see them once a year or so.

Thanks for doing this! It's nice for us to have access to a primary perspective in this field and surgery in general.

Which electives did you choose for your rotations and were they geared towards specialized surgery? I'm wondering because you seemed to have a good handle on what you wanted to do. Also, what kinds of publications are counted for these high end surgical residencies? For example, would a publication that you did during undergrad or even a senior thesis count?

I did radiology, various surgical rotations and two away rotations. Publications can be anything, from case reports to papers. Nobody expects you to do ground breaking work. They are looking for dedication and interest in that specialty. If what you did in undergrad is in a surgical field, then it will mean something, random research, probably not.

How did you do on rotations? Did you get honors in all? Which ones?

But mostly, I like the patients. A lot of surgeons hate seeing the same people over and over. The nature of Vascular Surgery is you will never cure your patients. They will keep eating poorly, smoking, not exercising etc. Thus, you will bypass someone, then you will angio them, then you will stent them, then you will angio, then angio again, stent again, then amputate a toe, then a foot, then their leg. You develop a relationship with them. A lot of surgeons hate this concept. They would rather 'fix' someone and never see them again. While it can be frustrating or even infuriating, I like getting to know my patients.
Bless your heart. I can't stand the nature of vascular patients and their disease. Carotids and aneurysms are cool, but peripheral vascular disease is so painful most of the time.

The patients are almost never under 60, except for trauma and varicose veins. I like having younger patients mixed in with the more co-morbid population.

Now in residency, I have to have a minimum 2 publications a year while being a clinical resident and have 2 years of dedicated time as a research resident.
Okay, serious question. Are you really able to put out quality research if you have to publish twice a year? It just seems like they're emphasizing quantity over quality. Case reports qualify as publications, but they usually don't add that much to the literature.

Do you have any children? (Assuming you don't) Would you still have considered vascular if you did? What would you recommend to those of us going into medical school with a child/family and what specialties do you find those with a family most happy in? I realize this is totally subjective, I'm from Texas as well BTW.

How did you do on rotations? Did you get honors in all? Which ones?

I honored all of my 3rd year clerkships except OB/Gyn.

Bless your heart. I can't stand the nature of vascular patients and their disease. Carotids and aneurysms are cool, but peripheral vascular disease is so painful most of the time.

The patients are almost never under 60, except for trauma and varicose veins. I like having younger patients mixed in with the more co-morbid population.

I know, it makes me weird :oops:. Most surgeons hate it. My experience in the past couple of years is that bypass, endo and even amputations can dramatically increase the quality of life of patients suffering from PVD. I have found it tremendously rewarding to see someone walk into clinic, sometimes with a prosthetic after they were severely limited because of pain or injury.

Okay, serious question. Are you really able to put out quality research if you have to publish twice a year? It just seems like they're emphasizing quantity over quality. Case reports qualify as publications, but they usually don't add that much to the literature.

I should plead the 5th. I think as a clinical resident it is difficult to have enough time to really produce anything worth the paper it is written on. However, I think that it does help the person writing the publications. 90% of my ability to read CTs, dynMRs and angios came out of the limited research that I have done. I found it tremendously beneficial to chart review and read film after film after film. But yes, I agree, expecting anything worthwhile is a little silly.

Has your first month of residency causes any marital problems so far? Or had her own time consuming career path prevented this?

You said you kept going back to trauma surgery in particular..why did you not choose to do trauma surgery instead of vascular? What would you say the main difference between both is?

Thanks for all the info!

Do you have any children? (Assuming you don't) Would you still have considered vascular if you did? What would you recommend to those of us going into medical school with a child/family and what specialties do you find those with a family most happy in? I realize this is totally subjective, I'm from Texas as well BTW.

No children. I won't try to predict the future, but it will likely be 5+ years before we even consider having children. I do not think that vascular surgery is exclusive of having children. It is certainly no different than any surgical specialty. It is hard, and you have to be prepared to simply not be around for a good chunk of time, especially while training. I think post-training you can meld your practice to how much you want to be working vs. at home. You may make less than others, but nothing says that you have to be operating til your eyes bleed just because you can. There are some specialties that necessitate that like peds and FM. But you can be a surgeon and work 50 hours a week, no problem, if thats what you are looking for. At the end of the day, picking a specialty should be based on what you want to do and really not much else.

Has your first month of residency causes any marital problems so far? Or had her own time consuming career path prevented this?

No problem so far, but we are early yet ;). Honestly, my wife is very busy, especially during the school year. She also understands that this is my career path and knew before marrying me what that meant. It sounds fairly unromantic, but we can both get by without the other person for a fairly decent amount of time. We just very strongly prefer to spend the free time that we do have together because at the end of the day, we have a lot of shared interests.

You said you kept going back to trauma surgery in particular..why did you not choose to do trauma surgery instead of vascular? What would you say the main difference between both is?

Thanks for all the info!

Trauma surgeons are general surgeons. Most have completed critical care training with or without dedicated trauma fellowship. They evaluate any patient that comes to the hospital as the result of a trauma activation. They stabilize the patient in the ED and then decide OR vs. ICU vs. floor vs. home. They can end up operating all over the body, but outside of the abdomen will generally defer to specialists for specific injuries (vascular, ortho, CT, neuro, etc.) They don't really own patients and in general don't mind that. Their clinics are 50%+ no shows.

Trauma surgery is increasingly becoming non-operative. Even major trauma centers see far more blunt than penetrating and most trauma surgeons spend most of their time doing critical care. While I loved trauma and think I learned more from it than any other rotation so far, I just couldn't see myself doing it forever. I wanted at least a little more structure and dedicated OR time.