Surgical tech to Surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Discontinuity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I've been a lurker for quite some time now but now I'm ready to share my position and hopefully get some positive feedback in return. I am 25 year old surgical tech and single mother of a 3 yr old. The most frustrating part of my job as a surgical tech is having to hold back watch during a surgical case when I desperately want to be actively involved in the process. I've had some reservations about taking the plunge and committing to making the decision to try for medical school, like my age and what kind of life that will make for my 3 year old. However, in my job, I'm meeting more and more older residents so age is becoming less of an issue and by the time I am able to start medical school, my 3 year old will also be in school. So I've made the decision and I want to be a surgeon.
The first item of business is taking my associates in surgical technology to something of a bachelors. I have narrowed down my choices to BAS in Healthcare Services or BS in Biotechnology. The BAS translates directly from my AAS so I will obtain a bachelors fast but I'll still have to get in my pre-med prereqs. The biotechnology degree will take longer but it will incorporate all of the prereqs for med school. I also may only be able to do the biotechnology degree part time because of work, where as the BAS I could do online.
Second item is my initial college record isn't spotless. I have a D in Cal I, C in Comp II, and C in Chem I and the rest are A's and B's. Will retaking these classes be good enough?
I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but this is a good start. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I think your decision to go back to school is great, as is your healthcare experience. Though I don't have children so can't comment too much on that. But always reach out for support if you need it, as this is an occasionally rough and ****ty process that you are not alone in.

Regarding your undergraduate major: take this opportunity to study whatever will allow you to keep high grades and stay sane. Set yourself up for grade success. Don't worry too much about how long each degree will take you to get either, especially if the difference in length is just a semester or two. You should have no issue scheduling in your prereqs as electives, even if they're not part of your degree program, unless you major in a very structured program...engineering, nursing, med tech come to mind.

What is your science and cumulative GPA from school? These are important numbers to know. I would certainly retake the calc and chem, though not the comp. Also be aware that a retake of courses will significantly increase your GPA for DO schools, much less so for MD.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
While I cannot truly relate to your situation as a single parent, I would caution you highly on taking your bachelor courses online. Many online courses (especially for pre-reqs) are not accepted at medical schools. Imagine how frustrated you would be if you had to do retakes on A's? Also, something to note is the increasing competitiveness of medical school. I took classes from a CC, personally--but I suspect that and online courses may be increasingly difficult to get by with in the future. Granted, non-trad seems to be the new trad--and many of us do have limited options and must turn to a CC.

On top of that, I imagine getting letters of rec from online professors would be nearly useless (if possible even) because of the lack of personal interaction you may have had with them.

Just things to consider. I personally would shy clear of online options. Good luck!