Surgical technology... any considerations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DylanAsdale

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently considering surgical technology until I figure out what I REALLY want to do... I'm having an unusually difficult time deciding.

However, does surgical technology seem like a good step into the medical field? What is the exact scope of practice in the OR? Also, how long would it take until I become a first-assist?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently considering surgical technology until I figure out what I REALLY want to do... I'm having an unusually difficult time deciding.

However, does surgical technology seem like a good step into the medical field? What is the exact scope of practice in the OR? Also, how long would it take until I become a first-assist?

A Surgical Technologist is essentially a scrub technician who hands instruments (much as a scrub nurse) but cheaper to train and employ. You are not likely to become a "first assist" as that role is going to go to a nurse or a physician assistant rather than a Surgical Technician. Some very small hospitals do employ surgical technicians as first assist but they are rarer and rarer these days.

Many places are phasing out their Surgical Technology folks for first assisting duties in favor of PAs, NPs or RN-first assists because these people can simply do more duties than a Surgical Technologist. As for entry level, you will get into the OR and you will learn how to scrub and deal with instrumentation but first assisting is likely to be remote if there are RN first assists or PAs in your hospital.

Most surgical technology programs are at community colleges/proprietary schools (or rarely OJT in some hospitals). You should contact the hospitals in your area an inquire about the scope of duties of the surgical technologists. If you are in the right area, you may be able to get what you want but be informed before you enter this field. In most large cities, surgical technologists aren't operating but are dealing with instrumentation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many places are phasing out their Surgical Technology folks for first assisting duties in favor of PAs, NPs or RN-first assists because these people can simply do more duties than a Surgical Technologist.

I wasn't aware that NPs were trained in surgery to first assist? I thought that role was only for RNFAs and PAs, unless the NP is also a RNFA? Are there some surgical based NP programs?

Your point? I don't think that is a requirement for NPs to also be RNFAs?

That's not what you asked.

I wasn't aware that NPs were trained in surgery to first assist? I thought that role was only for RNFAs and PAs, unless the NP is also a RNFA? Are there some surgical based NP programs?

Why do u want to be a PA:idea:

That's not what you asked.

That's not a NP program, is it? Although according to the site they take NPs, so then I guess you would be both a NP and a First Assist. Thanks for the link, interesting.

Gee, look what I found on Google:

http://www.rnfa.org/

Two issues. Under Medicare only physicians, NPs, PAs and CNMs can bill for first assist. For credentialing, since most hospitals credential through nursing the OR gods have decided they need an RNFA to assist in the OR. Alot of the NPs that work in a first assist role were OR nurses prior to NP school.

On the other hand privileges are whatever the staff decide they are. I've seen an assist that was the surgeons secretary three weeks before. YMMV.

UAB has a combined first assist ACNP school for what its worth.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Two issues. Under Medicare only physicians, NPs, PAs and CNMs can bill for first assist. For credentialing, since most hospitals credential through nursing the OR gods have decided they need an RNFA to assist in the OR. Alot of the NPs that work in a first assist role were OR nurses prior to NP school.

On the other hand privileges are whatever the staff decide they are. I've seen an assist that was the surgeons secretary three weeks before. YMMV.

UAB has a combined first assist ACNP school for what its worth.

David Carpenter, PA-C

I was merely answering the question if there was a program for NPs to become RNFAs. Nothing more, nothing less. Just a Google search, like much information that gets passed on here.

RNFA isn't a 'surgical based NP program'. Its a certification that requires a 6 day class and 100 or so clinical hours.

The answer to the question is "No, there are no surgical based NP programs". An NP could either attend UAB ACNP/RNFA program or fly to Taos, NM later and receive their RNFA cert.

I know RNFAs with only their ADN.

This thread is sort of coming off the topic I think... Maybe "on-board", but definitely off-topic.

As a CST working in all surgical sub-specialties I've first assisted plenty, however surgical techs usually do not suture wounds. First assist duties for techs involve retraction of tissue, suture cutting, orthopedic leg or arm holding, suctioning, irrigation, following suture as surgeon sutures in some cases like vascular, applying staples while surgeon approximates wound edges, etc... this all falls under first assist.
I've worked alongside PA and NP in surgery and they did all these same things as first assist only they also got to suture wounds alone or with surgeon during closure. The one big exception is during CVS where, typically, PA does vein harvesting and first assists in the chest during grafting...but I've first assisted in the chest as well, so the vein harvest is the big deal there. Research on job sites quickly shows that surgeons will hire both PA and NP for surgery...in fact NP looking for surgery jobs will benefit by also searching PA job sites where you'll often find "PA / NP-RNFA" wanted for surgery ads... I've found plenty on indeed.com, etc...
As a surgical tech I very much desire to remain in surgery and I'm working on my BSN right now and hoping to attend the only surgical NP program at UAB following.
In my nearly 20 years experience as a tech, I've seen no difference in the OR between PA and NP...docs simply don't care...and whether you are are NP or PA you have to be trained either in a residency for cardiovascular surgery /EVH or on the job by surgeons willing to hire and train.
Just shadowed in a heart group with PAs who were all trained on the job to do EVH and were currently training a recent PA grad to do EVH. when I asked them about residency training, they saw no value since they were trained on the job. Interesting.
What this means is that both PA and NP can be EVH trained for hearts on the job since most get trained this way...only 4 CVS residencies available for PA in the country, accepting 1/2 students per year. Most get that training on the job with patient surgeons who are willing to train you. They don't care if you are PA or NP just that you are mid-level (meaning you can bill and round and see patients in the office) and can be trained. Just look at the want ads for what is actually out there... though many ads do say NP/RNFA or PA when doing surgery.
Obviously, as others have mentioned, you can become RNFA as a bachelor's nurse and then get your NP but it will cost you some money instead of the UAB option where at least you get the RNFA in conjunction with your ACNP and it's all inclusive with your tuition / financial aid and loans...something to remember if shelling out 4K is a problem for you. Oh, and a nurse trying to get RNFA must also get the CNOR credential as well, which is more money and time...and you don't have to have CNOR as an advance practitioner like NP. So, things to consider.

Just another thing: if you are looking to stair step your way up in Healthcare would be 1 year surgical tech program at vocational school or associates degree in surgical tech...start working at approximately 30k a year then continue schooling to bachelor in nursing or bachelor of Science to then go on to NP or PA program. If you stair step you always have something to fall back on....although the nursing route has the advantage here!

Do a BSN and become a nurse at 50K while going on to NP... falling back on a BSN is far better than falling back on some nothing BS degree where you then can't get a good job...they always need nurses anywhere in the country!
This is an advantage the PA route doesn't offer and something to consider when those student loans come due! Not to mention that PA PROGRAMS DON'T ALLOW YOU TO WORK for 27 months! NP programs don't usually force you to stop working like PA programs. That can hurt, not having any work for two years. Doable, but financially painful...this was the main reason I chose to go the nursing route because the end result for PA or NP is pretty much the same (duties, opportunities, and pay) on the ground, as they say

Hope this helps!