Is Surgical Technician a good career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cupcakexox

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't want to become a surgeon but I'd like to work in the OR. So would becoming a Surgical Technician be a good idea? I suppose I would be able to get a job anywhere?
 
I'd find some scrub techs and ask them their opinion of the job. I think it's a pretty neat job, and people who do their job well are great assets in the OR.

I imagine demand for techs is fairly high.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A good career? Not really. It's something you can do when you're young, but career path offers limited room for advancement. Salary isn't great and ceiling is low.
 
Sometimes, I wish I was a surgical tech; mandatory breaks, 5 hours into an 8 hour case “oh my shift is up,” but still get to be in the OR.

Dunno, getting yelled at by attendings constantly would be pretty grating even with the breaks and you don't get to actually do anything.
 
As a RN you could become a OR/first assist nurse or CRNA. Could also do acute care NP and find yourself in surgery. Good luck.